Items for swimming pool workouts?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Figured this is best on the health forum for those who are interested in losing weight or shaping up: Has anyone here ever tried 5 lb. (2-1/2 lb. each) ankle weights while water jogging or doing water aerobics?
I bought some from swimoutlet.com and find that I'm ok after an hour of water jogging and doing water aerobics. In fact, I am ok with no pain the rest of the day after I come up at 3 pm. BUT the next day--after lunch for some reason--it hits me that I have tired muscles, so my only conclusion is that I am ripping tiny muscles and it's working.:blush:
Just curious if anyone else has tried this method? Did they keep it up and did they like the results which, hopefully, was one of building muscle strength and tightening up?

I also bought another pair of swim gloves to add resistance to the arm exercises, but I enjoy these things so darn much they are almost like playthings. Of course, I feel it in my back muscles the next day, too. These things also work for me.

I use swim gloves and water dumb bells both of which add to my workout . When I first started wearing the gloves I really noticed a difference . I go to a class three times a week where we use all the equipment . The one class is kickboxing in the water . A great work out !

Moemg, try the ankle weights. Nothing happened to me hardly when I used the 3 lb. ones (1.5 each), but big, big difference using the 5 lb. ones. It's been over 48 hours and I had to take 2 Tylenol today. Means it's working. The gloves, to me, are a hoot to use in the water and almost like playthings they're so much fun.
I used to do the hardest water dumb bells all the time until I started building the muscle too much in my upper arms (when it was my shoulders I wanted to build up).
Fun, tho.
Glad to know I'm not the only one here who does this stuff.

Glad to know I'm not the only one here who does this stuff.

I have to fess up and say I do it also for the social contact . Our swim group is so much fun . The hour just flies by and on Friday we all go out to lunch . I find exercise a part of life but boring . This keeps me motivated . I will try the ankle weights especially for the kick boxing .

I lift weights and have found that for the upper body, the day after I lift is when I hurt. For my lower body, it's the second day after lifting weights that I hurt. If I hurt right after lifting the weights, I *really* hurt the next day(doesn't matter which part of the body, although the upper body will hurt sooner than the lower the same day and the next day). Yes, you are ripping the muscles and then rebuilding them -whole purpose of using weights. Well, and to increase your metabolism.

Based on your description, you are getting a good workout.

Moemg, be careful using those ankle weights on land because it can be too much pressure on your joints vs. doing the weights in water where there is no joint pressure hardly.
Our group is social, also, in the pool. It's fun to yak it up all the while water jogging.
Makes the hour or two hour go by so swiftly.

Deserat, yeah..I used to lift weights and loved it. Still can't tell you why I haven't started in again since I own a bench and the weights and gloves. I will again..and probably sooner than later.

I am using gloves and water dumb bells, that both adds to my workout. You'll really notice it when you do it. In that way, your workout will get you physically fit as long as you want.

Never used or heard of water dumb bells, swim gloves or ankle weights for exercise in pool. Must try that. Are those ankle weights specially made for pool exercise?

Back
Top Bottom