It's Not All In Your Head - Your Emotions Could be Making You Sick

candrew

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It’s Not All in Your Head

Excerpt:

Canadian physician Gabor Maté studies the mind-body connection. He argues that chronic stress plays a big role in the development of disease.

This is extremely useful if you’re faced with a deadly physical threat, like a predator about to eat you. But it’s extremely harmful if your organs are bathed in stress hormones day after day after day. It causes disease.

Many of us are so used to living like this that we think it’s normal. We interpret the lack of stress as “boredom,” and we often find it intolerable.

In our society, those who go go go are applauded. Self-care is discouraged. Taking some time off to recharge is seen as indulgent and lazy, rather than responsible and healthy.

I recall a former administrator telling us, "if you're not stressed, you're not doing your job."

:confused:

I had a former coworker say something like "If you don't have high blood pressure, you aren't working hard enough" and he was serious.

I agree. I was in a toxic relationship with my first wife. I was buying Gelusil by the case. When I left, it all went away.

Since I retired I overcame type 2 diabetes and my cholesterol levels have all been great with no pills or any other medication.

Since last year I've gotten off meds for BP, cholesterol, GERD, and sleep without pills! The most amazing to me is I haven't had a cluster headache in 8 months, I was getting them weekly.

Much is from losing weight but that had to do with a diet change. I wouldn't have even attempted to change my diet while w*rking, too much stress that I dealt with through food.

I can name the software development project that I was w*rking 80 hours a week on when my BP went off the charts. Sad I didn't do what was required to stay healthy.

Back
Top Bottom