It's official: Work is making us miserable

enginerd

Recycles dryer sheets
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/official-making-us-miserable-151256338.html

In case you needed a study to prove it. It's a short article, pretty much the title says it all.

Its_official_Work_is_making-0047ce2c718cd22be1417fa705f339fa

I guess that explains why the biggest regret of retirees is not retiring earlier.

you are probably right, on this forum for sure

Last edited:
Of course work is miserable. Else, they would not have to pay you to do it. What's new?

I get a kick out of articles where the writer obviously has no clue about retirement and then proceeds to lay down rules for retirement.

I prefer the classic definition of w*rk...thanks to Mr. Coriolis.
The transfer of energy from one physical system to another, especially the application of a force to move a body in a certain direction. It is calculated as the product of the force and the distance over which it is applied and is expressed in joules, ergs, and foot-pounds.

I create a lot of joules these days, just not for a paycheck. :dance:

This link has a whole list of w*rk definitions...not all refer to employment.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/work

I create a lot of joules these days, just not for a paycheck. :dance: ...

Sorry, but nobody ever creates any joule. ;)

We just transfer the energy from the food that we eat, which all comes from the sun light, into our body heat and to move all that machinery in the gym, or do whatever that pleases us.

And the total entropy keeps on increasing till the world stops, no matter what we do.

I have mixed feelings about the results of the study. Clearly, some folks hate their j*bs. I'm sure there are folks who just love their j*bs. I was in both categories at different times of my c@reer. I can recall seeing my w*rk place in the morning and getting a thrill! Other periods (especially at the very first and very last) I was almost sick when I realized it was time to leave for w*rk.

For those who believe w*rk SHOULD make you miserable, I feel kind of sorry for them. Still, at the point where I was miserable and FI, I was outtathere! YMMV

" there are folks who just love their j*bs" - these folks are lying.

... For those who believe w*rk SHOULD make you miserable, I feel kind of sorry for them...
There were times when I was happy doing my work, else I would not last so long. I also often tell my son that if you have to work, might as well learn to love it because it makes it easier, plus if you like something you will be better at it, and get paid more.

The above said, when I liked my work, I often had to hide it. They would not pay you as much. Or they would take the fun out of it to punish you. At megacorp, I often told my friends that they had to be hating their employees to inflict that kind of pain.

Yes, work is often miserable, but it does not have to be so.

There were times when I was happy doing my work, else I would not last so long. I also often tell my son that if you have to work, might as well learn to love it because it makes it easier, plus if you like something you will be better at it, and get paid more.

The above said, when I liked my work, I often had to hide it. They would not pay you as much. Or they would take the fun out of it to punish you. At megacorp, I often told my friends that they had to be hating their employees to inflict that kind of pain.

Yes, work is often miserable, but it does not have to be so.

In manufacturing it was illegal to be happy so the fun was to swear and pretend to be grumpy.

heh heh heh - :rolleyes: AND curmudgeonly in ER and pretend to take oneself seriously. :dance: :dance: :cool:

Swearing and being grumpy comes naturally to me.

Where's my curmudgeon certificate, and get off my lawn!

The work may be interesting but another set of factors is the peripheral; commute time, work travel, bureaucracy, dress, etc.

The work may be interesting but another set of factors is the peripheral; commute time, work travel, bureaucracy, dress, etc.

+1
To which I would add an inability to work on all the little things that enhance one's life. When working, you are basically in survival mode. You are for the most part always working on the agenda of someone or something else, at the expense of the agenda of your own life. I came face to face with this stark reality when I had lunch with my ex-boss (who I like very much) a few weeks ago and sadly noticed how she didn't have time to really enjoy our get together as she had to rush back to a "meeting" (ugh how I remember those).

As of yesterday, I have been FIRE'd two months, and have noticed a marked improvement in the overall quality of my life. The biggest surprise has been how much "me" stuff I had put off, which I get to handle now. That said, I don't regret not FIREing sooner, as I had a plan which I succeeded in executing. In that regard, as the song goes, I did it my way.

+1
As of yesterday, I have been FIRE'd two months, and have noticed a marked improvement in the overall quality of my life. The biggest surprise has been how much "me" stuff I had put off, which I get to handle now.

YES! After one glorious month, that is exactly how I feel. DW just observed that we have done more fun stuff together in the past four weeks than in the prior 4 years.

Back
Top Bottom