It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
111 lbs. Yeah! This was first thing this morning, before coffee and without clothes. I have not been to any fun concerts, parties or on vacation though. You guys that are having all the fun, are doing great!

TromboneAl said:
A lot of my gigs involve very little pay, but all the food/beer/wine that I want. For example, last night I could have had $3 slices of cheese cake, mocha shakes, whatever. So, my frugal side (get something for free) is in direct conflict with my don't eat too much side.

Just think of it as a free big belly. Might be easier to walk away from.

Ha

simple girl said:
Down 2# this week, to 132#. Yippee! That's down a total of 3# in 2 weeks. Still sticking to my diet, but haven't worked out since Saturday. gotta get back on the bike today.

Down 1# this week, to 131. So I'm down a total of 4# in 3 weeks. Still staying under 1300 calories, weighing and measuring things. Worked out 5 of the last 7 days. I've been doing about an hour on the bike followed by weight training (rotating between legs, arms, core). Starting to see a little more muscle definition and my leg workouts aren't quite as tough!

Keep up the good work everyone!

232 this week. Have lost 14 pounds since 10/6/2006. Now at a plateau that is making it hard...........the inevitable place where fat is turning to muscle, and although you are getting more fit, you weigh the same.

I guess calorie restriction is next........although I am going about it slowly so I don't yo-yo............. :D

Lots of big people on this board. I wonder if the ability to get high salaries and save a lot of money is correlated with mass?

Ha

HaHa said:
Lots of big people on this board. I wonder if the ability to get high salaries and save a lot of money is correlated with mass?

I think there have been studies that have shown that taller people have higher salaries. It worked for me. :) Probably a negative correlation with higher BMI, though.

OK, I'm checking in here, even though it's not Wednesday.

I've probably gained a few pounds since I started the thread. I think last time I checked I was at 197.5 or something.

I've traced my weight gain down to a lack of willingness to defer gratification. If I eat the pizza now, it tastes good now; if I don't eat the pizza now, I'll be 20 pounds lighter in 20 weeks.

Any suggestions for how to get motivated? Public humiliation doesn't seem to be working for me.

The same issue is affecting my work. Posting now is more fun than my job now; working harder might result in a raise or better job in who knows how long.

2Cor521

SecondCor521 said:
Any suggestions for how to get motivated? Public humiliation doesn't seem to be working for me.
\

How do you find yourself saving the most in your financial budget? By daydreaming of what life is like when you're FIREd? (if you're not already) Or are you a fellow naturally cheapskate thrifty guy?

Have you tried applying the same motivation to your diet? Even though I've always been financially frugal, my younger years weren't lean by any means when it came to my diet. I realized later on that it's much healthier to stay in shape and watch what I eat. As a result, at age 30, even though I weigh more (191 lbs) than in high school/early college, my waist (33) is smaller, and my chest (43) is larger.

Sometimes I allow myself to splurge, but I try and keep a rough track of my total caloric 'expenditures' each day, so I don't go overboard and wolf down 3,000+ calories (too often ;) ).

Another motivator is getting on a treadmill where you can enter your weight to get an accurate tally of the calories you burn. Sure, your actual calories you burn can be different based on your metabolism, etc....but there is a physical absolute minimum number of calories you burn based on simple physics. When you're chugging along at the incline setting of 15 and walking at 3.8 miles per hour, and see that all of that work only burns a measly 280 calories, it helps you think twice about eating that donut or dessert. :) That, and I usually save my heavy/big meals/desserts for breakfast, where they will burn more efficiently during the day (instead of while I sleep).

Hey, sorry I'm late. Congrats to the losers. (You realize this about the only place you could say that and not be thought a jerk.)

Anyway, it was as static week for me. Still the same 338. No weight lost. But I did have to take my belt in a notch to keep my duty belt from sliding uncomfortably low. I'll take that. Still hitting the gym after work each night, but it's been wind chill advisories every day for the last week and half so I haven't been doubling up with a doggie walk in the morning.

MooreBonds said:
How do you find yourself saving the most in your financial budget? By daydreaming of what life is like when you're FIREd? (if you're not already) Or are you a fellow naturally cheapskate thrifty guy?

Have you tried applying the same motivation to your diet? Even though I've always been financially frugal, my younger years weren't lean by any means when it came to my diet. I realized later on that it's much healthier to stay in shape and watch what I eat. As a result, at age 30, even though I weigh more (191 lbs) than in high school/early college, my waist (33) is smaller, and my chest (43) is larger.

Sometimes I allow myself to splurge, but I try and keep a rough track of my total caloric 'expenditures' each day, so I don't go overboard and wolf down 3,000+ calories (too often ;) ).

Another motivator is getting on a treadmill where you can enter your weight to get an accurate tally of the calories you burn. Sure, your actual calories you burn can be different based on your metabolism, etc....but there is a physical absolute minimum number of calories you burn based on simple physics. When you're chugging along at the incline setting of 15 and walking at 3.8 miles per hour, and see that all of that work only burns a measly 280 calories, it helps you think twice about eating that donut or dessert. :) That, and I usually save my heavy/big meals/desserts for breakfast, where they will burn more efficiently during the day (instead of while I sleep).

You know, I read this post several times and didn't understand what your point is. Sometimes I am just dense despite being edumacated. Can you reexplain in simpler terms?

I do daydream about FIRE and think I am making progress, although with a recent divorce it's hard to tell. I am a cheapskate in general, yes.

I do understand the "1 Big Mac = run 8 miles, which would you rather do?" lesson.

Thank you for your last comment though. When I do intake too many calories, it is usually late at night (when I am either bored, stressed, tired, or lonely) and so I'm not helping myself out there much.

2Cor521

SecondCor521 said:
You know, I read this post several times and didn't understand what your point is. Sometimes I am just dense despite being edumacated. Can you reexplain in simpler terms?

Sometimes I start one thought and drift a little bit into other thoughts...;)

I was trying to suggest taking the same logic/procedures to keep control of your financial expenditures and applying it to your dietary decisions. That, and/or seeing what amount of exercise you need to do just to burn off 1 Big Mac (or whatever else is the weakness in your diet).

As for the timing of the desserts, it is usually the worst thing to intake large amounts of calories soon (a few hours) before you go to bed. I believe that your body is more efficient at burning the calories as they are digested up to 6 or 8 hours after eating...rather than pigging out at night, sleeping for 6-8 hours, and having your digestive track store a lot of those excess calories as fat (only to struggle to burn them later on) while you sleep and don't need many calories.

I've recently started drinking green or some other flavored tea (with high levels of antioxidants) in the evening. It not only keeps me filled up at a small 'cost' of calories, but also gives me a good dose of antioxidants. Just don't go overboard and put 6 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of half and half into it. ;)

SecondCor521 said:
OK, I'm checking in here, even though it's not Wednesday.

I've probably gained a few pounds since I started the thread. I think last time I checked I was at 197.5 or something.

I've traced my weight gain down to a lack of willingness to defer gratification. If I eat the pizza now, it tastes good now; if I don't eat the pizza now, I'll be 20 pounds lighter in 20 weeks.

The same issue is affecting my work. Posting now is more fun than my job now; working harder might result in a raise or better job in who knows how long.

2Cor521

I have similar problems with impulse control and delayed gratification. I try to remind myself that I have a problem and I will always have to be on the alert. I have to stay away from online shopping sites or I will buy something. I can't go "browse" at car dealerships as I will end up wanting a car. There was a good chance that when we went to the motorcycle show in Minneapolis last week that I would end up with a motorcycle and I did (though I was shopping for one anyway so I forgive myself). I have the same problem with food and sweets. I cannot let icecream or chocolate come in our house or I will eat it.

I have to be agile, mobile and hostile. :) I am only partially successful. I have gained weight and am working to lose it, it went well for a couple of months but this winter I have been in a slump.

Here is an online forum on weight loss and associated web pages that can be helpful:
http://www.caloriesperhour.com/forums/

Mayo clinic also has a lot of helpful weight loss info.

If evenings are the time where you are most vulnerable, try to go out or do something else at night. Exercise does seem to help with weight loss motivation. Group support, such as weight watchers, help a number of people.

Although I weigh myself regularly, I realized a few years ago that weight is an innacurate measure of, and only indirectly related to, the thing I'm really interested in: waist circumference. The weight can vary based on amount of muscle as well as fat.

So every few months I measure that (at widest point).

MooreBonds,

OK, I understand now. Unfortunately for me, my financial situation and my weight loss situation have a similar problem, so your advice is only partially applicable. But the part that does apply is measuring progress regularly and frequently can be applied -- I can have a weight loss and a financial spreadsheet both. And realizing that going into debt/calorie overload can be done quickly but it takes forever to fix with minimum payments/dieting is also a helpful thought.

I think I could pretty easily make the decision to "be good" at night and not eat an extra 1500 calories of food, so it's not actual physical hunger that drives my behavior. It's more mental/emotional.

Martha,

I think there are some strategies in what you wrote that I can apply too. If I'm weakest at night in front of the tv when I'm tired, I can change either where I am, whether the TV is on, or whether I'm tired or not. And exercise would be good from a number of angles. I live in the northern half of the US so the lack of sunlight in the winter is tough for me.

As it turns out, sweets are not my problem...I like salty greasy stuff like popcorn with lots of butter and salt, for example.

Thanks to both of you!!!

2Cor521

HaHa said:

Ha

Who you calling big?? We call it "big-boned", or "manly", or "large and in charge"............... :LOL: :LOL:

Of course, my doc has no sense of humor, she suggested I lose 50 POUNDs in a year..........but "don't go overboard"............... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Moorebonds, that is interesting the way you put that, as that was exactly the motivation I used. If I am doing so well at LBYM and saving/investing, why not put that same intensity into getting healthy? It is really an intensity issue for me.

SecondCor521, I have found that the calorie journal is a huge factor--if you have to write it down, you don't want to put down that you binged on a bunch of junk! I also use a spreadsheet, just like for the finances, where I forecast future losses based on averages from the past several months. That way I know if I'm falling behind in the mini-goals on the way to the big ones.

Measurable goals and intensity (I hate not getting something done that I've set out to do--determination) are my big keywords.

I also just have to go to bed sometimes if I'm hungry and can't walk past the kitchen one more time without nosediving into something tasty! And get that bad stuff out of the house--if you have no snacks in the house, you cannot eat them!

Sarah

OK,

Sarah, you have a point there about junk food in the house. Hard to argue that one even though I want to somehow.

I have at least started a graph of my weight, and want to start weighing myself daily. I know that the weight can vary quite a bit day-to-day, but I know from past experience that is the only way for me to have the accountability I need.

So this morning I was at 197.2, which is up from my last post here I think.

2Cor521

:D YEAH BABY!! :D

A great week; workout wise, motivation wise, and loss wise. Down 3 pounds to 335lbs. Starting to look like 300 by 5/15 is possible.

TargaDave said:
Joining late but better late than never

48, 6', 200.5# after the holiday splurge and way too much business travel. My start date is 1/14/07. I live in a house with 3 skinny females that keep the cupboards full of fat and sugar. Nothing like a challenge. I'll weigh in next week.

TargaDave said:
1/24/07 194.5#. Yeah :p

TargaDave said:
1/31/07 191.5#

TargaDave said:
2/07/07 189# (3 day splurge in the Yucatan but worth it; next 10# are the tough ones for me)

2/14/07 185.5# (caught a bug from DD so 3 days sick in bed; not a fun way to loose weight)

SecCor521, try weighing every day for a month, chart it and see if you don't have some traction. The calorie counter book is also really great--I would never be the type to write in a journal/diary (mushy stuff), but the idea of writing down what you eat is oddly compelling for us spreadsheet types!

You ROCK, BOP! Great job! It is hard work--but well worth it!

You know, Dave, what girls say about being one stomach virus away from their goal weight! :D

mclesters said:
Today at 174, down 5 lbs (WOW!) from last week's 179.

Wednesday again! I'm at 172# today. I've found an interesting Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Tool (thanks for those great links to the health websites listed earlier in this thread) that shows different food portions for a 1200 calorie diet. I thought it might bring some variety into our diet---ie. bread! I'm going to try using that as a guideline for a few weeks.

Missed two days at the gym, drank a few beers Thursday & Friday nights (John Mayer concert was okay, but I'm not really all that into sorority angst music--went as a favor to a friend), averaged 1200 calories consumed a day this week.

Sarah

Down 1lb, needed some bad news soothing with some chocolate but otherwise kept on track. My ankle is 99% and let me get my cardio in most of the week. They say slow and steady wins the race.

Sounds like everyone is pretty much staying on track. WTG!

Hi all,

I'm at 198.8 today. I have started weighing myself same time, same place, same scale, same time of day, same clothing, and am Excel charting myself. The upper left corner of my chart is 200# and the first day of my weight tracking, the lower right corner is 175# and the week before my 20 year high school reunion ;-).

I know that motivated me before because it brought the negative feedback closer in time to the event of overeating, and even before I eat at night now I know I face the scale in the morning so it's motivating me to be more reasonable.

I'll also start posting here again as well.

I wonder if there's a term we could use that would be equivalent to FIRE but for "goal weight". Hmm.

2Cor521

228!!

Lowest I've weighted since 1998.......... :D

Aiming for 199 by 12/31/07.

FinanceDude said:
228!!

Lowest I've weighted since 1998.......... :D

Aiming for 199 by 12/31/07.

Dude--you can get to that by the summer! And buy a new swimsuit! :D
Seriously, a bit of a stretch goal can help--I have set 150 by the end of April as my goal--that is 20# in 2 1/2 months. It helps you keep up the intensity! something to think about...
Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom