Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:10 PM   #361

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob View Post
Way to go Sarah! $600? Not bad.
Simple Girl-- hope the new job is going well -- did you just switch or did you and your DH move again. You're profiled in the new book due out this Fall, btw -- your moving-around LBYM lifestyle should be interesting to readers.
Hi ESRBob! Yep, we moved again! I found a new job which pays me a ridiculous amount of money (especially considering we live in a small town that is somewhat economically depressed), and I'm now ending up working more hours than I normally do. So DH and I made a conscious decision for me to work more hours for a short periord of time...we are hoping this will propel us to an earlier retirement. Combined with us still being on per diem for his job, well, it was just too good of an opportunity to pass up! Once we get to our target $, or if we find our lives becoming more hectic than we want, I will go back to limited part-time hours.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little!

Back to topic, I made it home early tonight and currently have been on the bike 65 minutes while reading the ER board! And I was good for lunch...only had Lean Cuisine. Now if I can just get myself stay away from BEER!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #362
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
And I was good for lunch...only had Lean Cuisine. Now if I can just get myself stay away from BEER!
Lean Cuisine for lunch, cool, do the same myself most every lunch, but when it comes to beer, I can't give it up, so I don't try. Instead I ration myself and only drink it on a Friday after work, instead of dinner.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 PM   #363
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hadn't thought of reading this board while exercycling -- how in the heck do you do it? WebTV or something?

Simple Girl -- glad to hear you're in your salad days on the earnings front -- a few gigs like that seem to have been in many ER's past. Just be sure to manage the stress.

Alan -- I like the idea of substituting beer for dinner Friday nights... Boddington's is my current caloric bete noir --- love that stuff now that I can get it in the US in a can...
Old 06-22-2007, 05:19 AM   #364

[quote=ESRBob;528303]Hadn't thought of reading this board while exercycling -- how in the heck do you do it? WebTV or something?
quote]

We have a recumbent bike (the kind you sit on with a back rest). We used a metal organizing stand, turned it upside down, and tied it onto the front panel of the bike (DH also used a small clamp to help hold the rack on securely). I sit my laptop computer on the rack and surf away while I exercise. I prefer to use a mouse, so I put a tv tray stand next to the bike and my mouse goes there. It's an easy way to burn some calories while enjoying myself.

DH also has a special rack that he bought which goes on his stairmaster. He also surfs the net, plays online crossword puzzles, etc. while exercising.

OH, we have wireless internet, so the only cord to deal with is the electric plug in. If you have a good laptop battery (which I don't), you wouldn't even need to deal with the cord.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #365
Administrator

Simple Girl - Your set up to use your laptop while exercising sounds great. A new meaning to "surf and turf"

Bob - Boddingtons invented the "widget" which is that little device that relaeses CO2 when you open the can to give that truly draft beer taste. Boddingtons is one of my favorite brews - you obviously have great taste in beer

This afternoon while down the Goose's Acre one of my tennis buddies called me to ask if I wanted to play this evening. Being half way through my 3rd pint of Smithwics I declined and scheduled for Sunday. Our games are too close to call for me to risk loosing after an afternoon "doon the boozer"
Old 06-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #366

Alan,
Yes - 'Smitticks' is now on tap in our local, too. (The Irish bartender has schooled me in the proper pronunciation). We had Murphy's prior to that, which is also a good draft beer. Looking forward to more of the same on our trip to Ireland later this summer... But when I'm at home or camping, cans of Boddingtons to the trick. And spraying them all over my arm and hand just kind of adds to that pub smell ambience...

A day early, but I've lost the 2+ pounds and am back at 179 this morning. I feel like I've consolidated at this level and am ready to make the next down-move. Do I sound like a stock chart analyst?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #367
Administrator

Quote:
Alan,
A day early, but I've lost the 2+ pounds and am back at 179 this morning. I feel like I've consolidated at this level and am ready to make the next down-move. Do I sound like a stock chart analyst?
or an engineer

I track my weight on spreadsheets and charts with a target "setpoint" when I set out on campaigns to lose "x" pounds. Control Loops always work best with feedback and set points.

Keep your Boddingtons in the refrigerator to minimize spraying it around when you pop the tab. If you like it a little warmer than straght out the fridge, it doesn't take long to warm up a bit. Not that I'm a big beer drinker of course

Rats, just realized that I ate a Vietnamese meal today - delicious - low calories - Tilapia in spicy ginger sauce and vegetables, but extremely salty so always extra heavy on the scales the next morning 'cos of water retention.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:03 PM   #368

I'm late to this - was at 215 when I was working in 2001.
I'm now at 190 and shooting for 185. I'm 6'3".
Old 06-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Thanks so much--I am officially at goal weight of 145 today! Now to the BF% goal of 25--right now at 30%. Boss told me he's giving me a bonus of $10 per pound now that I met my goal--and I was 60 lbs heavier in November--cha-ching! Nice! He says I have to spend it on clothes!

Sarah
Hi Sarah,
Would you please tell me what your strategy has been for losing weight? I am having a terrible time focusing and sticking to a diet plan.

--Oldbabe, who really needs to lose 30 lbs.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #370
Administrator

174.5 today, so 2lbs better than last week and getting close to my desired range of 168 - 172. So far it has been 7lbs in 9 weeks so I'm not breaking any speed records
Old 06-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #371

Holding steady at 135, which is fine with me for now. I'm just glad I didn't gain any more this week!

Old 06-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien View Post
I'm late to this - was at 215 when I was working in 2001.
I'm now at 190 and shooting for 185. I'm 6'3".
I'm at 193 today! I didn't eat that much, maybe to much salt and I'm holding
Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #373
Dryer sheet wannabe

Weight the same - 222. However, I walked 4 miles on Saturday in the Park, 2 miles on Tuesday on a treadmill, and 3 of the last 5 days I got off the subway (I live in NYC) one stop early (about half a mile a stop) to walk home just a bit extra. I want to get up to about 20 miles a week, while cutting a few hundred calories a day. I am also going to reread a calorie counter booklet I have on the shelf, so I can estimate daily calories a bit better. I have had trouble estimating how many calories a day I should be targeting.

I estimate that if I don't watch it I eat over 3k calories a day. I tried losing weight about a year ago, and lost 10 lbs before life intervened and I stopped. I found 2000 calories a day doable short term (few weeks) but very hard to stick with it, but about 2500 a day was much easier, though I still had to count or I went over if I didn't pay attention.

It's funny, but when I am about to eat a bit extra, I do think of this forum, and posting every week or two, and it makes me think if I am really hungry, or eating due to stress. Hopefully, in two weeks, I will have a loss to report.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 PM   #374

Well, here I am back again. I really need some way to be accountable for my goals so I am planning on doing the Wed check in here. My goal is to lose 10 lbs by Aug 12 when I go on a trip to Africa. Today I hiked for 1.25 hrs with my dog in the nearby foothills, also went to the gym for 45 min of cardio and upper body weight training. I am used to this exercise regime, although I don't usually do both in one day.

I don't usually weigh myself but today I did. 175. *sigh*

Ate healthy except for breakfast (coissant and latte). Will do oatmeal and blueberries tomorrow morning. Drinking lots of water.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #375

I have not posted here in awhile either. I have not been keeping up with this thread, but did go back a couple of pages and saw that Sarah has lost 50 lbs in 6 months. That is awesome!!! You go girl!

I am weighing 111 or 112 each day. I broke down and bought some Weight Watcher digital scales and like knowing how much I weigh. I have done what Dr. Oz recommends, which is automating what I eat for breakfast and lunch everyday. I have Kashi Go Lean cereal with blueberries for breakfast everyday and 1/2 turkey sandwich on whole grain bread with mustard and lettuce. I also have some type of vegetables and fruit at lunch and a glass of skim milk. Today I had raw baby carrots and some watermelon. Yummy! I try to eat a sensible dinner. My biggest problem is snacking at night. I usually snack on Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal eaten dry or microwave kettle corn popcorn. If I get started eating sweets (especially candy) it is all over. I try to limit it to once per month!

DH is down to 222 lbs. He has fluctuated up and down more. He is still working though. I had a harder time losing weight when I was working, probably due to the stress and the extra junk food that was around. His blood pressure is down, I am guessing from the small amount of weight that he has lost and he tries to walk at least 30 minutes 5 days per week.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:40 AM   #376
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Dave,
Be honest -- are you sucking in your gut there.
Hey I think you're right. Haven't been to this thread for awhile. Hangin in at 174#. Just to be fair here is a before picture from last summer at something over 194#. Definitely no gut sucking there but plenty of extra ballast for this particular trick. I'll have to dig up a more realistic after pic.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #377
Administrator

174.5 again this week. At the weekend we moved our son out into his new apartment and while we had the U-Haul we picked up a table tennis table to add another avenue for exercise. It's an out door model that folds up in seconds and wheels to the wall of the garage. However, it took 3 of us 2 hours to assemble it - what a struggle, vey heavy and the translation of the instructions from German to English were far from helpful at times, but we saved $150 in delivery and assembly fees.

After weighing in this morning we cycled 6 miles to the "Y" and did a sculping class we both really like. Being a holiday they were 5 guys in total along with the ladies. It was raining just as we got back and is steadily pouring down now.

I'm determined to lose the lbs and get to 170 again.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #378
Dryer sheet wannabe

Well, it's not Wednesday, but here are the stats. This past week it was 9 miles walking/Elliptical machine, the week before 11 miles. Read a calorie counter book. Weight on the gym scale today went down to 220 (loss of 2 lbs).
Old 07-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #379

I haven't been around much either, not because I have given up on trying to lose the weight, but the undercurrent of this site isn't really encouraging me to hang around.

To all those that continue to lose good job, remember slowly but surely will get us all there.

I have maintained my previous loss of 8lbs, but I know to continue to lose I will have to push a bit harder at the gym.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #380
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Well, it's not Wednesday, but here are the stats. This past week it was 9 miles walking/Elliptical machine, the week before 11 miles. Read a calorie counter book. Weight on the gym scale today went down to 220 (loss of 2 lbs).
Good work Jeffrey. We have a son of the same name who decided to try and lose weight in January. He started at 220 and has been making steady progress. Last week he weighed in at 180. He moved back home in March after graduating, got a job, moved out last week and lives close by. He has not attempted to count calories, points or anything like I do but has just changed what he eats and also exercises a load more than he used to. (In fact our Christmas gift to him was a bike).
Closed Thread