Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

re: It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022
Old 01-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll jump on this wagon too but I won't post weight, just the change over the previous week.

I'm like you Martha, a carb addict.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
ps nords. gotta great drink you're gonna love:
1 banana
1 pear
1 small container french vanilla yogurt
1 scoop solgar whey to go honey nut protein mix
about 6-8 ice cubes
blend 30 seconds into a smoothie.
pour into large glass and enjoy (serves 1 & 1/2 or 2 with more ice)
Thanks! My preferred beverages are water, green tea, and black coffee. Even smoothies taste very sweet, although this one looks to be the exception to the rule.

Our daughter is a Smoothie Queen. I'll have her whip one up for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE
Muscle weighs more than fat, lard ass!
I think I'm going to find a lot of situations where this quote will come in handy!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I need to loose weight! I am 6'0" weight 242 and have type II diabetes. It seems no matter what I eat I can not loose weight. I think the insulin resistence is at the heart of my problem. Try to walk 30-60 minutes 5 times a week. I have trouble keeping to a low carb diet as I love fruits and whole grains.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #24
gone traveling

Sounds better than Fat Boy Fridays! Started with a buddy on 1/1/07 to lose 15 pounds in 15 weeks with a 4 week maintenance period to keep us honest. 195 to 180 for me and 200 to 185 for him! Week 1 193!

Old 01-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Somehow I think this thread will dwindle and die before I get "there", but I'll weigh in too. First of all; BMI, MetLife charts, and all that other crap just don't work for me. I came out of Parris Island at 6'2", 210 pounds, and only an 8% body fat. I had to undergo quarterly water weigh-ins because I never did get down to the 197 they said I had to be. But I had an official USNRMC waiver to 225 pounds. Stayed under it too, until I got out and stopped running. (Man I HATE to run!) November's hospital admission for chest pains scared the bejeebers out of me and I'm going to lose weight this year for sure.

My work year schedule is divided up into quarters. So I've decided to drop at least 25 pounds per quarter for 2007.

Currently 6'2" and 345 pounds, I think. It's tough to find a home scale that weighs over 300 pounds.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:51 AM   #26

6'6", 250 lbs. I want to drop to 225 to see how I look.
Has anyone tried Weight Watchers?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:49 AM   #27

My BMI is 23.9 which according to the scale is "normal weight" - but pushing near the high end of the scale. I still feel about 10# overweight...put on 3-4# just over Christmas vacation. Yikes!

I have tried weight watchers in the past - very helpful in teaching you how to change your lifestyle pattern of eating. In general I don't lose weight unless I weigh and measure everything I eat for a while. Have a problem with portion control! I really need to get out the old measuring cups and the calorie table. Uggh. Only this kind of pure discipline works for me.

Oh, and we did go on a semi-vegetarian diet once to try and lower DH's cholesterol. Followed "Fat Free, Flavor Full" by Gabe Mirkin (from the library). We stayed on it about 2 months and in that time I lost 10 pounds and felt so healthy. Unfortunately, DH didn't get himself back in for a cholesterol re-check (too busy with w*rk). It's a really strict diet, so we couldn't do it long term, but did learn quite a bit about healthy food choices and cooking. We need to get out some of those recipes again!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 01-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by xprinter
I have trouble keeping to a low carb diet as I love fruits and whole grains.
i don't entirely buy into the low carbohydrate diet. i know i tire quickly during exercise if i haven't had enough carbs. the trick is the right carbs & in the right amounts. while fruit is also one of my problems, i don't think it has to do so much with calories or carbs. i think the problem is the sugar, which as windsurf notes, causes insulin resistance and so prevents muscle from utilizing existing stores of fat even during exercise.

i can see how sugar effects my body immediately. i'm ok if i have two mallomar cookies. but if i have two more the arthritis in my foot acts up before i finish washing them down with skim milk.

and since sugar prevents muscles from burning fat, i never eat mallomars before my workout, only after.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 01-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
i don't entirely buy into the low carbohydrate diet. i know i tire quickly during exercise if i haven't had enough carbs. the trick is the right carbs & in the right amounts. while fruit is also one of my problems, i don't think it has to do so much with calories or carbs. i think the problem is the sugar, which as windsurf notes, causes insulin resistance and so prevents muscle from utilizing existing stores of fat even during exercise.
Sugar is evil, it damages every system in the body (highly refined grains are just as bad).
Old 01-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #30

Quote:
i don't entirely buy into the low carbohydrate diet.
Yeah, it's amazing how controversial the relationship between diet and health is. You'd think we'd understand this stuff by now.

Carbs aren't bad for you per se, but the high-GI/GL carbs *seem* to cause both an immediate insulin spike and *may* contribute to insulin resistance over time. Most fruits should be OK, since the sugars are bound up in a fibrous matrix that slows the availability.

Your muscles store enough glycogen for you to exercise *hard* for something like 90 minutes, so for the typical 30-minutes of moderate exercise that most of us do, there's no need to either carbo-load or replenish burned glycogen with a carb drink.

The only macronutrient your body can't store is alcohol, so I guess having a couple of drinks would postpone the burning of glycogen and fat for a while....
Old 01-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
The only macronutrient your body can't store is alcohol,
My body stores alcohol as memories.

Ha
Old 01-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #32

sign outside bar: if you drink to forget, pay first.

hey wab. what about nuts? good or bad? i usually keep a bowl of walnuts & raisins about. also i totally love pistachios and often also have cashews & pecans (the latter especially as a crunchy topping on sweet potato, yum)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 01-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
6'6", 250 lbs. I want to drop to 225 to see how I look.
Has anyone tried Weight Watchers?
6'2" male, age 52, was 210# when blood pressure showed marginal for first time ever. Next month WW started at work, so I said "why not". This was about 4 years ago. I had never been on any sort of diet before so I can't compare, but what I liked about WW is that really is about portion sizes, writing down what you eat and tracking it to lose weight gradually and permanently changing exercise and eating habits. After 6 months I was down to 170# so I stopped journalling or attending the weekly sessions at work. Now whenever my weight gets to 175# I will write down everything ("journalling" in WW terminology) until I get back to 170. This happens about 2 or 3 times a year. So, WW works for me even "unofficially"

BTW, a year later at my annual physical I was staggered at how much my blood pressure, Cholestorol, Triglycerides had improved. Lasy year my doc said "Do you know your resting heart rate is in the 40's?"). So continue to watch portion sizes, and exercise regularly. Even go the exercise classes at the gymn with all the women, and believe me, kick-box aerobitics is a helluva workout
Old 01-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
sign outside bar: if you drink to forget, pay first.

hey wab. what about nuts? good or bad? i usually keep a bowl of walnuts & raisins about. also i totally love pistachios and often also have cashews & pecans (the latter especially as a crunchy topping on sweet potato, yum)
Nuts are good in moderation, but should not be salted or toasted. Raisins are also good in moderation.

They are high calorie, so large amounts can be a problem.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lazygood4, quit beating around the bush. Your height and weight put you at obese.

Break a sweat every day and eat right.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

71.5", 158#, 32" waist

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #37

and for those who think canadians are nicer than americans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Lazygood4, Your height and weight put you at obese.
Quote:
Quote:
such a proud moment for you. where's my american gun?

i found pics of me at my absolute very lightest weight as an adult. the towel is me in last year of highschool about age 18, 5-10, 175 lbs.

but hey, we can't all be 155 lb lightweights, aye?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg me-at-18-web.jpg (59.5 KB, 50 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb me-at-18-web.jpg_thumb (31.1 KB, 2 views)

Old 01-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Lazygood4Your height and weight put you at obese.
Quote:
Quote:
and here's me at 19 or 20 getting even fatter according to zipper as i'm still 5-10 but now weigh about 180-185 lbs. (having discovered beer in college) yet still haven't developed a chest.

so much for height & weight

Attached Images
File Type: jpg me onboard at 20.jpg (40.0 KB, 46 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb me onboard at 20.jpg_thumb (25.7 KB, 1 views)

Old 01-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Your height and weight put you at obese.
and now that you having me rummaging through 1970s photos so i could show one of me as a lightweight, still 1 inch taller than you but only 20 lbs heavier than you before i developed, i might as well show off mom, posing--as zipper would have anyone believe--her obesity in a one-piece.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mom-onboard-web.jpg (61.7 KB, 57 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb mom-onboard-web.jpg_thumb (27.4 KB, 2 views)

Old 01-08-2007, 08:12 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Way to go LG4NB!!

That is EXACTLY why I say that BMI and MetLife are bogus. They are based upon statistical averages. And some people just ain't average.

BTW, Mom looks pretty hot, nice legs.

(closet lech)
Closed Thread