Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

re: It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022
Old 01-31-2007, 07:13 AM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

FINALLY, a 2# week. 338 this morning.

This list is a great motivator. I should have tried something like this before.

I have discovered my cardio workout too. Yesterday I had to replace the buckle on one of the dog's leashes. They all went ballistic, convinced they were going for a walk. Well, I couldn't disappoint them, but walking three dogs on three leashes is more challenge than I wanted. Rube Goldberg to the rescue!

I took some reinforced nylon rope and created a splitter with a buckle at each end, then braided that into the Airedale's leash (since his is braided). Voila, a three way dog leash. After the intial excitement and a couple of tugs on the collars they all got the hang of walking together, heeling when reminded, and not pulling.

The walk was invigorating for all of us, and gave me the opportunity to spend some quality time with my boys. It will become a daily event, except in cold rain.

Only 38 more pounds to go before May 15th!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2007, 07:16 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

SG, strive for every other day for two weeks, then Mon/Tue and Thu/Fri for two weeks, then Mon - Fri for two weeks. BINGO, you've just created a habit. It's worked for me as far as going to gym with the CO's after our shift.

And get a buddy. I find greater motivation in exercising with a buddy. Even if it is my dogs.

Persevere baby, you'll get there!!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:06 AM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

WEIGH TO GO, RETIREDBOP!!! Seriously, you are doing great - keep it up!!! I, on the other hand, am feeling more than a bit discouraged. After 5 weeks of diligent working out and watching what I eat, I have only lost 3 pounds! BUMMER. I know in my mind that losing weight wasn't the main reason I started on this road - it was really to get in shape and gain some muscle but I really wanted a few pounds to go too!!! It seems like after all this hard work, and 5 weeks of effort, that more than just 3 pounds should be gone. Whine whine whine. SO, February is going to be my month!!! Woo-hoo!!!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 AM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
Joining late but better late than never

48, 6', 200.5# after the holiday splurge and way too much business travel. My start date is 1/14/07. I live in a house with 3 skinny females that keep the cupboards full of fat and sugar. Nothing like a challenge. I'll weigh in next week.
Quote:

1/24/07 194.5#. Yeah :P
1/31/07 191.5#
Old 01-31-2007, 11:21 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop
SG, strive for every other day for two weeks, then Mon/Tue and Thu/Fri for two weeks, then Mon - Fri for two weeks. BINGO, you've just created a habit. It's worked for me as far as going to gym with the CO's after our shift.

And get a buddy. I find greater motivation in exercising with a buddy. Even if it is my dogs.

Persevere baby, you'll get there!!
Thanks for the encouragement!

And congrats on you losing 2# this week, too

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 01-31-2007, 12:40 PM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

SolidA, one of the things that surprised me the most when DW and I did that LA Weight Loss thing was how MUCH we ate. Just hang in there, don't get discouraged.

The prevailing consensus nowadays is four to six small meals per day. That's pretty tough on my schedule (1½ drive on each end of the shift) so I use their techniques of substituting for meals.

9am - my habitual breakfast now is 1 cup of Quaker Oatmeal w/3 tablespoons of raisins and 2 tablespoons of chopped walnuts, no sugar, 1 cup boiling water and a large cup of herbal tea (no caffeine). A little flat the first week or so, but now I can't stand sugar in my oatmeal. And the instants are WAY too much sugar.

1200pm - Edge Carb Advantage protein drink. Sometimes boxed, sometimes fresh mixed with 8 oz skim milk

3-4pm - CLIF Builder's protein bar, wide variety of flavors, cruchy, chewy, tastes a LOT better than Powerbars.

7pm - DW bought me some nice plastic three compartment plates with travel lids. The big compartment holds one serving of some casserole she makes on the weekends. Another one holds one cup of frozen veggies. And the last one holds one cup of some dessert treat, cobbler, crisps, or maybe just plain old applesauce.

Starting this week I will begin taking salads or a salad wrap on MY Tue and Thu evenings. With grilled chicken, grilled flank steak, tuna, or something else they should not get TOO boring that way.

I know I need to increase my fruit/veggie intake, but I'm doing this in baby steps. Got to get the portion control thing down pat first.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good job everyone! Some weeks are slow, others are better. Boss' birthday today had tollhouse pie and ice cream....except for that, still starving, still working out every freakin' day! And no beer drinking this week, sigh.

Today at 174, down 5 lbs (WOW!) from last week's 179. DH and I are exactly the same height/weight, as always. But he looks skinnnier, which makes me really mad! But he is a great exercise buddy! I did find a neat free site that helps me track workouts and weight loss goals. Here's my page: http://smclester.traineo.com/. Might be something you'd like, BOP.

I like the dog walking device you came up with, BOP--if we still lived where they had to be walked, I'd be all over that for my dogs! And congrats on the 2# week! The adding veggies plan sounds great--I'm learning the portion control, too. Your program looks like it will be workable--and like my DH, it is nice you have someone preparing your meals to take to work!

TargaDave--rock and roll! That is moving some serious weight! Cool!

SolidA, I've had weeks like that. DH feels like he is building a lot of muscle by working out, and sometimes the scale doesn't show a loss as a result. Keep it up and try mixing up the dieting--going higher in calories for a while, then lower. A calorie counter's diary has worked wonders for me!

Sarah

Old 01-31-2007, 01:10 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!!! I really appreciate it. BOP - I haven't ever tried a CLIF bar, but if you say they are better than Power Bars (yuck) I will try them. Anyone else have suggestions? THANKS, Katie
Old 01-31-2007, 01:21 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

I like the balance bars, the yogurt honey peanut kind are tasty. Good if you are on a zone kinda diet. I also like the SouthBeach cranberry almond ones. The Clif ones remind me of these nutritional things we used to feed the horses <shudder>. But you might like them better!
Sarah

Old 01-31-2007, 01:21 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Is it Wednesday again already? 192.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:30 PM   #111
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidA
After 5 weeks of diligent working out and watching what I eat, I have only lost 3 pounds! BUMMER.
you gotta go more on body fat than weight when weight training if you want to have that sort of measure of how well you are doing. because you might lose 5 lbs of fat but put on 10 lbs of muscle mass so looking just at weight can be discouraging.

you might consider getting something like a tanita scale with body fat monitor. it won't be precise but it will give you a relative measure to go by. when you check body fat, check in the evening when your body is fully hydrated. when you check weight, check in the morning because you aspirate a lot of your water weight during sleep.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 01-31-2007, 03:32 PM   #112
Administrator

171 #
been eating out a lot this week with various business meetings, so I am very pleased to be maintaining.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:58 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidA
Thanks for the encouragement everyone!!! I really appreciate it. BOP - I haven't ever tried a CLIF bar, but if you say they are better than Power Bars (yuck) I will try them. Anyone else have suggestions? THANKS, Katie
I like the ZONE bars, in particular the strawberry yogurt. I have that with 8 oz of milk for breakfast. It gives me a lot of energy to make it through a busy morning.

I've been finding having yogurt for a snack really helps me cut the cravings. Or even just having a yogurt when I get home from work really helps - usually I'm starving, so it helps me keep from overeating at dinner.

Hang in there!

Old 01-31-2007, 06:53 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Mmm, yes the Strawberry Yogurt ones are very tasty. Try this if you have more time in the morning---257 calories

Peachy Peanut Butter Smoothie
Makes 2

1 cup non fat milk
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp natural peanut butter
1 1/2 cups frozen peaches (kinda got to eyeball this)
2 scoops whey protein powder

Yummy! And good for energy that lasts until lunchtime rolls around!

Sarah

Old 02-01-2007, 07:02 AM   #115

FYI

www.healthratings.org has rated the web's most popular diet and weight loss sites. The three sites that received the highest ratings of "excellent" were the following:

http://www.medicinenet.com/diet_and_...loss/index.htm

http://tinyurl.com/2gfjsx

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/WT99999

Old 02-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #116

I am weighing the same-no weight loss for me. Congratulations to all he lost. I had posted that my scales were 2-3 lbs light. Never really thought about it much before, but I realized why they are light. I weigh myself first thing in the morning and I do not have anything on. When I am weighed on other scales, I have on clothing and shoes. (I really am slow sometimes!) So, I guess our scales are pretty accurate.

I started back using Weight Watchers informally. I am writing down what I eat and the number of points. My problem is that I have not been exercising. I don't belong to a gym and it is extremely cold outside. I do have a treadmill that I need to start using. Maybe I will have better news next Wednesday.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:56 AM   #117
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Joining late but better late than never

48, 6', 200.5# after the holiday splurge and way too much business travel. My start date is 1/14/07. I live in a house with 3 skinny females that keep the cupboards full of fat and sugar. Nothing like a challenge. I'll weigh in next week.
Quote:
1/24/07 194.5#. Yeah :P
Quote:
1/31/07 191.5#
2/07/07 189# (3 day splurge in the Yucatan but worth it; next 10# are the tough ones for me)
Old 02-07-2007, 07:59 AM   #118

TargaDave, you're doing great

After two weeks on vacation I weigh exactly the same as when I left, to me that is a victory.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Old 02-07-2007, 08:52 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Outtahere--that is Victory! Good job--I can never keep on a diet on vacation!

TargaDave, same thing--if you didn't put on weight in Mexico that is great!

I'm down one # to 173 this week, but the Superbowl was a big eating/drinking day--wings=YUM! Going to another concert tomorrow night, but I think it will be less rowdy, since I'm going with a "mommy-friend" instead of the fun-timing single girl from the last concert! Been at the gym every day since last Wednesday, which is pretty amazing for me--y'all are a great influence on me!
Gotta buy some new pants, though--I am pretty excited that everything I own is too big at this point but one pair of jeans!

Sarah

Old 02-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #120

About a week ago, I came home about 5:00, after a late round of golf, and asked my wife. "What are making", smells good. A three cheese Lasagna.
(Favorite).

I fired up the computor to kill a little time, and came across this thread.

I thought to myself, as much as I like to eat, I'm glad I don't have to deal with a weight problem.

A couple of glasses of wine, Lasagna, garlic bread, green salad, and a piece of my wife's home-made apple pie a couple of hours later. (Life's good).

Anyway, a couple of days after that, I noticed for the first time, that my trousers were getting a little too snug. I asked my wife where the scales were. Anyway, I weighed myself, and the scale verified the trouser problem. (260 lbs. Always have been in the 245 area.)

I've got to lose about 15 lbs. I told my wife. "Why, you don't look like you've gained any weight"? My trousers and the scales don't agree with you. Any ideas?

She went grocery shopping yesterday, and bought me a weeks supply of "Weight Watchers". Last night was my first meal with that.

After eating that meal, I mentioned to my wife that I am going to have to go on another diet. "The meal wasn't that bad was it". No it wasn't, but
when I said another diet, I mean an additional diet, because I can't get by on this one by itself.

Anyway, it looks like you folks are doing well, and beings I don't want to spring for a bunch of new trousers, will probably hang in there.

Closed Thread