Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

re: It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022
Old 02-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A lot of my gigs involve very little pay, but all the food/beer/wine that I want. For example, last night I could have had $3 slices of cheese cake, mocha shakes, whatever. So, my frugal side (get something for free) is in direct conflict with my don't eat too much side.

I compromised last night by having a chocolate chip cookie and a decaf latte. But the cookie was the size of 5 normal cookies, and the latte was about 20 ounces!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Is it Wednesday again already!!! Sigh. Didn't lose an ounce, BUT I have to admit I have more energy, so that is a victory!! Gotta keep working on those pesky pounds :P
Old 02-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Geez, time flies on this thread.

Here's an engineering question: the scale seems pretty precise (to within 0.5 pounds), but how do we know it's accurate?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Here's an engineering question: the scale seems pretty precise (to within 0.5 pounds), but how do we know it's accurate?
Does it matter? As long as you weigh yourself on the same scale at the same time of day, the absolute accuracy doesn't matter as much as relative accuracy.

Take a dumbbell or some other reference, weigh yourself with, and again without.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #125
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Does it matter?
Ah, good point. Only at the tae kwon do tournament, and only if I lose about 20 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Take a dumbbell or some other reference, weigh yourself with, and again without.
I'll have to start our kid on the testing procedure now...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #126

111 lbs. Yeah! This was first thing this morning, before coffee and without clothes. I have not been to any fun concerts, parties or on vacation though. You guys that are having all the fun, are doing great!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
A lot of my gigs involve very little pay, but all the food/beer/wine that I want. For example, last night I could have had $3 slices of cheese cake, mocha shakes, whatever. So, my frugal side (get something for free) is in direct conflict with my don't eat too much side.
Just think of it as a free big belly. Might be easier to walk away from.

Ha
Old 02-07-2007, 07:05 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl
Down 2# this week, to 132#. Yippee! That's down a total of 3# in 2 weeks. Still sticking to my diet, but haven't worked out since Saturday. gotta get back on the bike today.

Down 1# this week, to 131. So I'm down a total of 4# in 3 weeks. Still staying under 1300 calories, weighing and measuring things. Worked out 5 of the last 7 days. I've been doing about an hour on the bike followed by weight training (rotating between legs, arms, core). Starting to see a little more muscle definition and my leg workouts aren't quite as tough!

Keep up the good work everyone!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 02-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

232 this week. Have lost 14 pounds since 10/6/2006. Now at a plateau that is making it hard...........the inevitable place where fat is turning to muscle, and although you are getting more fit, you weigh the same.

I guess calorie restriction is next........although I am going about it slowly so I don't yo-yo.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 02-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Lots of big people on this board. I wonder if the ability to get high salaries and save a lot of money is correlated with mass?

Ha
Old 02-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Lots of big people on this board. I wonder if the ability to get high salaries and save a lot of money is correlated with mass?
I think there have been studies that have shown that taller people have higher salaries. It worked for me. Probably a negative correlation with higher BMI, though.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

OK, I'm checking in here, even though it's not Wednesday.

I've probably gained a few pounds since I started the thread. I think last time I checked I was at 197.5 or something.

I've traced my weight gain down to a lack of willingness to defer gratification. If I eat the pizza now, it tastes good now; if I don't eat the pizza now, I'll be 20 pounds lighter in 20 weeks.

Any suggestions for how to get motivated? Public humiliation doesn't seem to be working for me.

The same issue is affecting my work. Posting now is more fun than my job now; working harder might result in a raise or better job in who knows how long.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521

Any suggestions for how to get motivated? Public humiliation doesn't seem to be working for me.
\
How do you find yourself saving the most in your financial budget? By daydreaming of what life is like when you're FIREd? (if you're not already) Or are you a fellow naturally cheapskate thrifty guy?

Have you tried applying the same motivation to your diet? Even though I've always been financially frugal, my younger years weren't lean by any means when it came to my diet. I realized later on that it's much healthier to stay in shape and watch what I eat. As a result, at age 30, even though I weigh more (191 lbs) than in high school/early college, my waist (33) is smaller, and my chest (43) is larger.

Sometimes I allow myself to splurge, but I try and keep a rough track of my total caloric 'expenditures' each day, so I don't go overboard and wolf down 3,000+ calories (too often ).

Another motivator is getting on a treadmill where you can enter your weight to get an accurate tally of the calories you burn. Sure, your actual calories you burn can be different based on your metabolism, etc....but there is a physical absolute minimum number of calories you burn based on simple physics. When you're chugging along at the incline setting of 15 and walking at 3.8 miles per hour, and see that all of that work only burns a measly 280 calories, it helps you think twice about eating that donut or dessert. That, and I usually save my heavy/big meals/desserts for breakfast, where they will burn more efficiently during the day (instead of while I sleep).
Old 02-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, sorry I'm late. Congrats to the losers. (You realize this about the only place you could say that and not be thought a jerk.)

Anyway, it was as static week for me. Still the same 338. No weight lost. But I did have to take my belt in a notch to keep my duty belt from sliding uncomfortably low. I'll take that. Still hitting the gym after work each night, but it's been wind chill advisories every day for the last week and half so I haven't been doubling up with a doggie walk in the morning.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds
How do you find yourself saving the most in your financial budget? By daydreaming of what life is like when you're FIREd? (if you're not already) Or are you a fellow naturally cheapskate thrifty guy?

Have you tried applying the same motivation to your diet? Even though I've always been financially frugal, my younger years weren't lean by any means when it came to my diet. I realized later on that it's much healthier to stay in shape and watch what I eat. As a result, at age 30, even though I weigh more (191 lbs) than in high school/early college, my waist (33) is smaller, and my chest (43) is larger.

Sometimes I allow myself to splurge, but I try and keep a rough track of my total caloric 'expenditures' each day, so I don't go overboard and wolf down 3,000+ calories (too often ).

Another motivator is getting on a treadmill where you can enter your weight to get an accurate tally of the calories you burn. Sure, your actual calories you burn can be different based on your metabolism, etc....but there is a physical absolute minimum number of calories you burn based on simple physics. When you're chugging along at the incline setting of 15 and walking at 3.8 miles per hour, and see that all of that work only burns a measly 280 calories, it helps you think twice about eating that donut or dessert. That, and I usually save my heavy/big meals/desserts for breakfast, where they will burn more efficiently during the day (instead of while I sleep).
You know, I read this post several times and didn't understand what your point is. Sometimes I am just dense despite being edumacated. Can you reexplain in simpler terms?

I do daydream about FIRE and think I am making progress, although with a recent divorce it's hard to tell. I am a cheapskate in general, yes.

I do understand the "1 Big Mac = run 8 miles, which would you rather do?" lesson.

Thank you for your last comment though. When I do intake too many calories, it is usually late at night (when I am either bored, stressed, tired, or lonely) and so I'm not helping myself out there much.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #136

Quote:
You know, I read this post several times and didn't understand what your point is. Sometimes I am just dense despite being edumacated. Can you reexplain in simpler terms?
Sometimes I start one thought and drift a little bit into other thoughts...

I was trying to suggest taking the same logic/procedures to keep control of your financial expenditures and applying it to your dietary decisions. That, and/or seeing what amount of exercise you need to do just to burn off 1 Big Mac (or whatever else is the weakness in your diet).

As for the timing of the desserts, it is usually the worst thing to intake large amounts of calories soon (a few hours) before you go to bed. I believe that your body is more efficient at burning the calories as they are digested up to 6 or 8 hours after eating...rather than pigging out at night, sleeping for 6-8 hours, and having your digestive track store a lot of those excess calories as fat (only to struggle to burn them later on) while you sleep and don't need many calories.

I've recently started drinking green or some other flavored tea (with high levels of antioxidants) in the evening. It not only keeps me filled up at a small 'cost' of calories, but also gives me a good dose of antioxidants. Just don't go overboard and put 6 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of half and half into it.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
OK, I'm checking in here, even though it's not Wednesday.

I've probably gained a few pounds since I started the thread. I think last time I checked I was at 197.5 or something.

I've traced my weight gain down to a lack of willingness to defer gratification. If I eat the pizza now, it tastes good now; if I don't eat the pizza now, I'll be 20 pounds lighter in 20 weeks.

The same issue is affecting my work. Posting now is more fun than my job now; working harder might result in a raise or better job in who knows how long.

2Cor521
I have similar problems with impulse control and delayed gratification. I try to remind myself that I have a problem and I will always have to be on the alert. I have to stay away from online shopping sites or I will buy something. I can't go "browse" at car dealerships as I will end up wanting a car. There was a good chance that when we went to the motorcycle show in Minneapolis last week that I would end up with a motorcycle and I did (though I was shopping for one anyway so I forgive myself). I have the same problem with food and sweets. I cannot let icecream or chocolate come in our house or I will eat it.

I have to be agile, mobile and hostile. I am only partially successful. I have gained weight and am working to lose it, it went well for a couple of months but this winter I have been in a slump.

Here is an online forum on weight loss and associated web pages that can be helpful:
http://www.caloriesperhour.com/forums/

Mayo clinic also has a lot of helpful weight loss info.

If evenings are the time where you are most vulnerable, try to go out or do something else at night. Exercise does seem to help with weight loss motivation. Group support, such as weight watchers, help a number of people.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 02-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Although I weigh myself regularly, I realized a few years ago that weight is an innacurate measure of, and only indirectly related to, the thing I'm really interested in: waist circumference. The weight can vary based on amount of muscle as well as fat.

So every few months I measure that (at widest point).
Old 02-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

MooreBonds,

OK, I understand now. Unfortunately for me, my financial situation and my weight loss situation have a similar problem, so your advice is only partially applicable. But the part that does apply is measuring progress regularly and frequently can be applied -- I can have a weight loss and a financial spreadsheet both. And realizing that going into debt/calorie overload can be done quickly but it takes forever to fix with minimum payments/dieting is also a helpful thought.

I think I could pretty easily make the decision to "be good" at night and not eat an extra 1500 calories of food, so it's not actual physical hunger that drives my behavior. It's more mental/emotional.

Martha,

I think there are some strategies in what you wrote that I can apply too. If I'm weakest at night in front of the tv when I'm tired, I can change either where I am, whether the TV is on, or whether I'm tired or not. And exercise would be good from a number of angles. I live in the northern half of the US so the lack of sunlight in the winter is tough for me.

As it turns out, sweets are not my problem...I like salty greasy stuff like popcorn with lots of butter and salt, for example.

Thanks to both of you!!!

2Cor521
Old 02-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

Ha
Who you calling big?? We call it "big-boned", or "manly", or "large and in charge"...............

Of course, my doc has no sense of humor, she suggested I lose 50 POUNDs in a year..........but "don't go overboard"...............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Closed Thread