Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

re: It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022
Old 02-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Moorebonds, that is interesting the way you put that, as that was exactly the motivation I used. If I am doing so well at LBYM and saving/investing, why not put that same intensity into getting healthy? It is really an intensity issue for me.

SecondCor521, I have found that the calorie journal is a huge factor--if you have to write it down, you don't want to put down that you binged on a bunch of junk! I also use a spreadsheet, just like for the finances, where I forecast future losses based on averages from the past several months. That way I know if I'm falling behind in the mini-goals on the way to the big ones.

Measurable goals and intensity (I hate not getting something done that I've set out to do--determination) are my big keywords.

I also just have to go to bed sometimes if I'm hungry and can't walk past the kitchen one more time without nosediving into something tasty! And get that bad stuff out of the house--if you have no snacks in the house, you cannot eat them!

Sarah

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #142
Give me a forum ...

OK,

Sarah, you have a point there about junk food in the house. Hard to argue that one even though I want to somehow.

I have at least started a graph of my weight, and want to start weighing myself daily. I know that the weight can vary quite a bit day-to-day, but I know from past experience that is the only way for me to have the accountability I need.

So this morning I was at 197.2, which is up from my last post here I think.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:39 AM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lost 1 lb. 110
Old 02-14-2007, 07:23 AM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

YEAH BABY!!

A great week; workout wise, motivation wise, and loss wise. Down 3 pounds to 335lbs. Starting to look like 300 by 5/15 is possible.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:26 AM   #145
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
Joining late but better late than never

48, 6', 200.5# after the holiday splurge and way too much business travel. My start date is 1/14/07. I live in a house with 3 skinny females that keep the cupboards full of fat and sugar. Nothing like a challenge. I'll weigh in next week.
Quote:
1/24/07 194.5#. Yeah :P
Quote:
1/31/07 191.5#
Quote:
2/07/07 189# (3 day splurge in the Yucatan but worth it; next 10# are the tough ones for me)

2/14/07 185.5# (caught a bug from DD so 3 days sick in bed; not a fun way to loose weight)
Old 02-14-2007, 07:35 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

SecCor521, try weighing every day for a month, chart it and see if you don't have some traction. The calorie counter book is also really great--I would never be the type to write in a journal/diary (mushy stuff), but the idea of writing down what you eat is oddly compelling for us spreadsheet types!

You ROCK, BOP! Great job! It is hard work--but well worth it!

You know, Dave, what girls say about being one stomach virus away from their goal weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
Today at 174, down 5 lbs (WOW!) from last week's 179.
Wednesday again! I'm at 172# today. I've found an interesting Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Tool (thanks for those great links to the health websites listed earlier in this thread) that shows different food portions for a 1200 calorie diet. I thought it might bring some variety into our diet---ie. bread! I'm going to try using that as a guideline for a few weeks.

Missed two days at the gym, drank a few beers Thursday & Friday nights (John Mayer concert was okay, but I'm not really all that into sorority angst music--went as a favor to a friend), averaged 1200 calories consumed a day this week.

Sarah

Old 02-14-2007, 08:02 AM   #147

Down 1lb, needed some bad news soothing with some chocolate but otherwise kept on track. My ankle is 99% and let me get my cardio in most of the week. They say slow and steady wins the race.

Sounds like everyone is pretty much staying on track. WTG!

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Old 02-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Hi all,

I'm at 198.8 today. I have started weighing myself same time, same place, same scale, same time of day, same clothing, and am Excel charting myself. The upper left corner of my chart is 200# and the first day of my weight tracking, the lower right corner is 175# and the week before my 20 year high school reunion ;-).

I know that motivated me before because it brought the negative feedback closer in time to the event of overeating, and even before I eat at night now I know I face the scale in the morning so it's motivating me to be more reasonable.

I'll also start posting here again as well.

I wonder if there's a term we could use that would be equivalent to FIRE but for "goal weight". Hmm.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

228!!

Lowest I've weighted since 1998..........

Aiming for 199 by 12/31/07.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 02-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
228!!

Lowest I've weighted since 1998..........

Aiming for 199 by 12/31/07.
Dude--you can get to that by the summer! And buy a new swimsuit!
Seriously, a bit of a stretch goal can help--I have set 150 by the end of April as my goal--that is 20# in 2 1/2 months. It helps you keep up the intensity! something to think about...
Sarah

Old 02-14-2007, 12:04 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
Dude--you can get to that by the summer! And buy a new swimsuit!
Seriously, a bit of a stretch goal can help--I have set 150 by the end of April as my goal--that is 20# in 2 1/2 months. It helps you keep up the intensity! something to think about...
Sarah
Good idea in theory, but I have found once I lose the "easy" 10-15 pounds, I can "only" lose about 1-1.5 pounds a week from then on, in order to keep it off................and without 3 hours a day in the gym, which I don't have time for.

However, the karate classes I am taking are having an effect on me............I am DEAD when I get home.................

Old 02-14-2007, 12:37 PM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I started a “balanced diet” in mid-Jan. Also, I had pretty serious shoulder surgery 4 months ago. So, I’ve been working my way back to weightlifting. Anyway, I’ve lost 10 lbs. so far. Aiming for another 15-20.

The really great news is:
A. I’ve been able to stop taking the high blood pressure meds I’d taken for 3 yrs.
B. I’ve been able to stop the Avandia (diabetic) meds at night as well.
So, I hope to also be able to reduce the remaining diabetics meds I still take morning and night.

I’m feeling better than I have in years.

Being the lurker, I am, I’ve really enjoyed / looked forward to this thread each week.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #153
Moderator Emeritus

191, down one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
However, the karate classes I am taking are having an effect on me............I am DEAD when I get home.................
You have to adjust your diet to account for the calories in those ibuprofen pills...

Take a look at the fitness threads on Raddr's board. Karate plus some weight training may be all you need, and then you can ignore the scales in favor of a waistline tape measure.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #154
Administrator

172 - still maintaining.

Someone did send me this gem on nutrition this week:

THE FINAL WORD ON NUTRITION

1. Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

2. Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

3. Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

4. Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

5. Germans drink beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

CONCLUSION : Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:06 PM   #155

Ah, it's a plateau week for me - still 131. However, I see more muscle development, so I'm holding on to that as my theory for not losing this week.

Not to mention the fact that we had company this past weekend and ate out. Yikes!

Great job to everyone else!!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 02-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Went back and re-read Bill Phillips' book "Body for Life" this week. Not that I am intending to start such a drastic workout routine, but I did like the looks of his workout logs, so I plagiarized them.

I remember from weight training in college and the Corps that keeping logs back then was an easy way for me to track my progress. And since I'm getting older it will also help me remember what the heck I did last time I was in the gym.

I also recommend a book by Bill Pearl titled "Getting Stronger". Great section in there for the ladies. But the reason I recommend it is for the variety of workout routines he offers. There must be three dozen at least. There is a entire section on sport specific workouts. Everything from the "Weekend Warrior", to the "Tri-athlete", to "First timer", or the "Golfer". BTW, that's him on the cover, at age 50. Don't know the lady but she's welcome to come to my gym anytime.

Another tip I took from "Body for Life" was taking body measurements. This might be an especially good motivator for the ladies. I have always had a huge chest. I graduated Parris Island with a 49 inch chest. I measured for a ballistic vest a few years ago and needed a 58. This morning it's down to a 56. I'll withhold the others for now, until I have some progress to post (pronounced = BRAG).

The saddest part of this is that I've had all this information and training since at least 1976 when I wrestled in college. I've just never applied it. I am hoping that better late than never applies here.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #157

Lost 5 lbs. Down to 255.

l0 more pounds to go before I can resume my duties as an "underware model".
Old 02-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #158
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop
Went back and re-read Bill Phillips' book "Body for Life" this week. Not that I am intending to start such a drastic workout routine, but I did like the looks of his workout logs, so I plagiarized them.

I remember from weight training in college and the Corps that keeping logs back then was an easy way for me to track my progress. And since I'm getting older it will also help me remember what the heck I did last time I was in the gym.

I also recommend a book by Bill Pearl titled "Getting Stronger". Great section in there for the ladies. But the reason I recommend it is for the variety of workout routines he offers. There must be three dozen at least. There is a entire section on sport specific workouts. Everything from the "Weekend Warrior", to the "Tri-athlete", to "First timer", or the "Golfer". BTW, that's him on the cover, at age 50. Don't know the lady but she's welcome to come to my gym anytime.

Another tip I took from "Body for Life" was taking body measurements. This might be an especially good motivator for the ladies. I have always had a huge chest. I graduated Parris Island with a 49 inch chest. I measured for a ballistic vest a few years ago and needed a 58. This morning it's down to a 56. I'll withhold the others for now, until I have some progress to post (pronounced = BRAG).

The saddest part of this is that I've had all this information and training since at least 1976 when I wrestled in college. I've just never applied it. I am hoping that better late than never applies here.
Interesting article on this very subject:

Quote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16713130/

As a result, when it comes to making decisions about their health, boomers sometimes think that if they delay doing something, a better solution might come along. At the other end of the spectrum, there are those who hop on the Internet to learn everything about their symptoms and possible treatments, thinking they can out-research their doctors or find the latest alternative cure. Either way they end up putting off taking action.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
191, down one.
You have to adjust your diet to account for the calories in those ibuprofen pills...

Take a look at the fitness threads on Raddr's board. Karate plus some weight training may be all you need, and then you can ignore the scales in favor of a waistline tape measure.
Anyone who thinks karate isn't a workput needs to try it........... However, I am sure once my conditioning and skills improve, I'll begin to feel better. The instructor said I will be ready to test for my gold belt in about another 6 weeks...........hey, it's a start. Half the guys in my adult class are black belts, and are very helpful with tips on techniques and things..........

Old 02-16-2007, 06:36 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Lots of big people on this board. I wonder if the ability to get high salaries and save a lot of money is correlated with mass?

Ha

Ha: My father had 8 children. 4 boys and 4 girls.

My youngest brother is 6'7, other one 6'5, and two of us 6'6.
My dad (the logger) was 6'4.

Don't know about your theory, but I know that even though my father had his hands full providing the basic essentials, my sisters when they started dating, were treated with great respect.
Closed Thread