Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

New to this thread
Old 01-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #3861
Recycles dryer sheets

New to this thread

I was been watching my calorie intake for over a year with great results, losing 55 pounds from Aug-17 to Aug-18. However, I quickly gained back 25 pounds when I returned to my old habits. I am back to tracking my calories and have lost 7 pounds since early Dec. 8 more pounds to my new target, then I will try maintaining again. Hopefully starting at a more reasonable target weight will lead to a better result.

Omalley
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2019, 06:24 PM   #3862
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I lost another pound so that's 53 pounds since March 23rd. I am still pretty overweight, though.

My averages have gone up to 1390 calories/day, and 127 carbs/day. Both of these are higher than they were last spring which explains why I am not losing as fast as I was before.

I finally gave in and spent $200 this month replacing some of my clothes with smaller sizes, and I spent $277 on a box of grass fed beef steaks. Right now I lose well eating steak and I get so tired of chicken that I want to cluck.

So there are expenses, but on the other hand, MyFitnessPal dot com is free.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-23-2019, 05:15 AM   #3863
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I lost another pound so that's 53 pounds since March 23rd. I am still pretty overweight, though.

My averages have gone up to 1390 calories/day, and 127 carbs/day. Both of these are higher than they were last spring which explains why I am not losing as fast as I was before.

I finally gave in and spent $200 this month replacing some of my clothes with smaller sizes, and I spent $277 on a box of grass fed beef steaks. Right now I lose well eating steak and I get so tired of chicken that I want to cluck.

So there are expenses, but on the other hand, MyFitnessPal dot com is free.
I know the feeling...about ten years ago when I was roughly 55lbs over weight I also got sick of chicken around the 50lb loss mark. I started adding salmon, turkey and tuna to the menu. I then discovered quite a few more lean chicken meals you can plan. I grill a lot of lightly seasoned chicken, but we also do shake n bake, chicken Cesar salads, chicken bacon ranch wraps/tacos, Caribbean chicken jerk, chicken wild rice soup, and other's I can't think of right now. I did make a list of dishes I could quickly turn to when we had the "I am sick of this" thoughts and that helps having a huge menu to pick from.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #3864
Dryer sheet wannabe

Well done Omalley. I found a thread on mfp about the changes people notice after losing weight, love reading it and it’s kept me inspired this week.

Week 3 for me and just the 1 pound down total 6.

Bit disappointed cause I have stuck with the plan. I know in my head that there will be good weeks an bad but actually believing this is hard.

On a more positive note, I am starting to notice clothes fitting a bit better and I think stairs are getting easier, probably due to the exercise I am doing.
Love my swimming.

Have a good week everyone.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #3865
gone traveling

I'm 53 YO, At 5'10" and 185#, i'm surprised that I am still this weight after the holidaze, and a week in Jamaica at an all inclusive Sandal resort. I was actually 196 the day I got home, mostly from eating, drinking, relaxing too much, but once I got back into my normal routine, I lost 10#.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #3866

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
I'm 53 YO, At 5'10" and 185#, i'm surprised that I am still this weight after the holidaze, and a week in Jamaica at an all inclusive Sandal resort. I was actually 196 the day I got home, mostly from eating, drinking, relaxing too much, but once I got back into my normal routine, I lost 10#.

16 years younger same height, down to 168...goal is below 164 before next week. Been crushing the weights and cardio 3miles on the treadmill today, 2 inline marathons last week, 4hrs on the slopes the other day...gotta switch it up.

Plan is to run 30miles, cut out as much dairy, sugar and carbs as I can, avoiding red meat and mowing down all lean protein now until Sunny Siesta Keys! Wish me luck. (A side benefit, the ole six pack is really coming through).

I ate everything I could during the holidays and after a colonoscopy to get me up to a fatty 178 lbs. So I've lost 10lbs since the new year, not bad considering we are only 24 days in lol.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #3867

Doing this to get ready for a few 5mile runs on the beach, some sailing in the gulf *I run the lines and bounce around the deck so being lighter helps.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #3868
Moderator Emeritus

Up another pound to 199. Hiking 4 days a week and lifting weights 6 days a week should start knocking the lbs off soon now that the holiday level grazing has ceased.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #3869
Dryer sheet wannabe

58 YO, Male, 5'11" 147#, Runner, Cyclist
Old 01-24-2019, 07:46 PM   #3870
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunarayan View Post
When I was 38 YO, 5'11", runner, I held at 149#.

Are you trying to lose or gain?
Old 01-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #3871
Dryer sheet wannabe

Stay even into Retirement .....
Old 01-30-2019, 07:51 AM   #3872
Dryer sheet wannabe

Week 4 : 1 more pound down 7 in total (or "half a stone" in ye olde English reckoning)

Seems to be getting tougher as the days go by. Perhaps because the novelty has worn off now, but I am not yet in the business as usual routine yet.

I now admire anyone who can lose weight while having to go to work as well.

I am measuring in Pounds, Stones, Kilogrammes, BMI and anything else I can think of. The way I see it is there are more chances to have a small win on a regular basis.

Snowing here today so I am not happy.

This weekend is the Superbowl which is the end of the NFL season, but it also is the start of the Rugby League season over in North of England so big weekend and I might have to plan a couple of extra drinks. But I will be watching the Superbowl the next morning rather than stay up late so that will be coffee and breakfast. (no spoilers).

Have a good week everyone.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:03 AM   #3873

UP 4 lbs since my base low last year of 183. Had my annual physical yesterday so had to fess up to all the Holiday eating/drinking and less exercise due too a bad cold and snow on the ground recently. But still in a good spot from 202 when I FIRE'ed Jan 2017. We'll (the 2 dogs and I) get back in our hiking groove as weather permits. We did 430 miles in 2018, goal is 500 for 2019.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:08 AM   #3874
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunarayan View Post
About the same. When I was ill in September, I got to under 140, but I've recovered and like to stay between 144-147. My weight can vary by a few pounds during the week depending on how much I drink, how much TexMex I eat, and how much I exercise.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #3875

One of my resolutions for 2019 was to weigh everyday to maintain the -20 lb weight loss I accomplished in 2018. My weight "window" is 122-125. Today I was 123.8.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #3876
Dryer sheet wannabe

Week 5. Doh a pound back on back to 6 total

Did have a good weekend and ate out a few times. so i got what i deserved.

Hopefully back on track again now and can get that pound off again.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:29 AM   #3877
Recycles dryer sheets

First post in this thread... 52 years old

I was very overweight, was drinking WAY MORE than I should and over eating. I didn't get much exercise and my job requires me to sit around for 12 hours a day. The doctor said I had high blood pressure so I starting doing intermittent fasting and staying away from carbs. I've been working night shifts and after doing 16:8 I.F. for the first couple of weeks I switched to just eating once per day @ midnight. My goal is to lose 10 pounds the first month, 10 pounds the two months after that, 10 pounds the three months after that and 10 pounds the six months after that for a 40 pound loss (21% body mass) in 12 months. I've cheated a few times during social situations but I'm pretty far ahead of my goal at this point. I'm walking a little bit just about every day on the treadmill and do some very light weight lifting a couple of times per week.

Jan 1st = 186# (BMI = 30 - Obese)
Feb 7th = 167# (BMI = 27 - Overweight)

“A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness”
- Albert Einstein
Old 02-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #3878
Moderator Emeritus

Holding steady at 198 since 1/9
Old 02-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #3879

Just listened to a "People's Pharmacy" podcast about exercise and weight loss. This very large study used donated funds, something like $12M. No pharma, food, exercise machine contributions so it's considered a pure study. Nobody gains from it.
The study is not complete but the data is suggesting there is not a direct relationship with exercise and weight loss. Weight loss is dietary and fats, carbs, protein and dairy are all important. There is no cut out fat or cut out sugar completely. And calories in, calories out is all wrong. It's the kind of calories that count.

Avocados, nuts, seeds, (dark chocolate, 70% or more), even dairy fat help keep the hunger at bay. Apparently, according to Harvard endocrinologist leading the study, said exercise can hinder weight loss. You exercise hard, burn a bunch of calories and you're starving and psychologically it gives you carte blanche to eat more. Defeats the purpose. He did say exercise is good for heart, muscle, bone, blood flow health.

This is the show if you have an hour to listen:

Show 1149: Is Cutting Carbs More Important Than Cutting Calories?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #3880
Moderator Emeritus

I finished a “Whole 30” on 2/5, thirty days without alcohol (I often go 30 days without alcohol so no big deal for me), dairy, grains, sugars including zero-cal sweeteners, and legumes. A modest weight loss of 3 lbs and a constant low level headache and feeling deprived are my main takeaways, but at least I got bragging rights, I guess