Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sue J,

So happy to hear it is going to great for you - and know you will enjoy the above posts--those wiseguys are funny. Keep us updated on your progress!

I had a knee replacement several years ago and know the early drugs are grand.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Glad the surgery went well! - Hope your recovery continues well as well
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I came home yesterday afternoon. It's good to be home but things don't work as well as in the hospital, of course. The la-z-boy chair that I thought was similar to the one in the hospital is too low and rocks forward, so DH is looking into how we can modify it so that I can use it. It felt comfy when I got in it, it was just awful to get out of and I don't want to bend wrong or have to be lifted out if it. So I'm using my rolling office chair. It has armrests and is a good height for what I need.

Twice I've had episodes of starting to fade away or detach and needing to lay down, once in the hospital and last night at the dinner table at home. So I'm being careful about exertion and activity. DH is very helpful and doing his best. I knew the first few days at home would be the toughest, so I'm taking it all slow and easy.

My sister and BIL are coming and bringing lunch and I've promised DH that I would not try to be hostess-like and just let others do everything.

So far, so good. My goal today is to wash up a little and get dressed and enjoy my visitors. I'm keeping up with the pain meds, the respiratory tool thingy, the leg circulation exercises and enjoying the view from HOME.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

So glad that you are home already, and good for you for not trying to be the hostess. Also I would recommend that if/when you get tired, KICK THEM OUT. They are probably expecting that anyway; it's kind of an imposition to visit someone this soon after hip surgery IMO.

(In other words, if it was me I'd send them home before they even crossed the threshold, but I know you have a kinder disposition than I do).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you are back home Sue. Things always get better at home, and more quickly. Keep up with the PT. Also, if you are taking medication to minimize blood clots, stay with that as it is very important.

When I had my hip replaced, they wouldn't send me home unless I climbed two flights of stairs without assistance in the hospital . I was home the third day after surgery and walking around the neighborhood (gingerly, though). I guess after ten days, or so, I had the stitches removed and was OK to drive.

If you had the "anterior procedure" like I did, you should be back in the groove pretty quickly.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #26

A new hip? Couldn't you find a used one? I'm sure they're much cheaper!

Wish you well in your rehab.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
A new hip? Couldn't you find a used one?

LBYM gone wild!

Hope you feel better soon, Sue!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
A new hip? Couldn't you find a used one? I'm sure they're much cheaper!
Just for grins I looked on Ebay but didn't see any. Lots of gimmicks and geegaws for people who had a hip replacement though.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #29

Just checking in....

A big HI to everyone here! I'm on day 11 of recovery and coming along. I'm feeling antsy to be advancing faster, tired of still being dependent and needy but accepting that I need to take this slow and do it right.

I've had RN visits and PT visits and both say I'm progressing well. PT taught me how to navigate the move over the threshold and half step down to the deck so I've been enjoying my days outside with all the trees and bird activity.

Between DH and I, we've mastered showering in the tub and hair washing so I'm feeling nicely human. Last week DH seemed a bit overwhelmed with everything I needed, the last few days he's gotten out a few times and I'm a lot less needy.

Yesterday was our son's 30th birthday. My sister and a friend came for a visit while DH and both sons went out for lunch. I wasn't ready for going out to eat so it was nice that someone was here with me. While I was sorry I couldn't do big birthday stuff, this is the son who had his gallbladder surgery on my birthday in Feb. so no guilt either way.

Today was my first day without the pain meds. I had been going much longer than 4 hours for the pain meds and they really didn't have a big effect so I thought I'd see what it was like without them. I think I'll be fine.

In other news, we live just 9 miles from some guy named Lebron. People seem to be interested in his job status.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
In other news, we live just 9 miles from some guy named Lebron. People seem to be interested in his job status.

When you're recovered, you'll be able to muscle him out with a hip move, then sink a jump shot

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
I've got my new hip and a room with a great view
Old 07-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #31

I've got my new hip and a room with a great view

Update

I saw the surgeon today for my 3 week follow up. Everything is progressing as expected, he said I'm doing just fine and ready for a cane. I still have the restrictions of no bending beyond 90 degrees, which limits so many things, but I can start short walks with the cane, I can try driving and start to resume some normal things. The PT came in the afternoon and taught me how to use the cane. We practiced going in and out the kitchen door to the garage, which I could not do with the walker.

I'm feeling so much better than 3 weeks ago! That first week was pretty intense. I have practically no pain, just occasional soreness or slight discomfort at the incision. My biggest problem is that I've been having trouble sleeping. I wake up and can't get back to sleep. I'm hoping that now that I'm able to change positions, maybe I can sleep better. I tried Benadryl a couple of nights and sometimes it worked, then I tried a hot toddy (shot of whiskey, honey, lemon and hot water) which worked for a few nights, but not last night. I'm hoping that a couple of short walks with the cane will help me sleep through the night.

DH has been OUTSTANDING!!!! He has been taking very good care of me, cooking decent meals and serving them with style. He's been very patient and accommodating and so helpful. He's really taking those "in sickness and in health" vows seriously. I'm so appreciative.

I had x-ray's today so I got to see my glorious new implant. I took a picture with my iPad so I could show my sons. I also got a Rx for a handicapped parking pass hangar from the License bureau and an implant ID card to get through metal detectors.

So I've turned a corner and on my way. I go back to the surgeon in 4 weeks for another follow up.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #32

All very good news, Sue!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #33

So glad to hear things working out well for you.

And I know too how great it is to have a spouse who will help when things are not going so well for you. DW did that for me when I'd had some surgery that was a new experience in pain. And we weren't even married yet....
Old 07-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #34

Great to hear you are doing so well.
Hope all keeps going smoothly.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's excellent news.

And sounds like DH is a keeper.