Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2022, 09:02 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
There is such a thing as too much LBYM and I must reluctantly admit that eating peanut butter which might contain salmonella probably fits in that category.
A wise decision, W2R! Oh... maybe you were being tongue-in-cheek!
Nah, I really AM that tight with my money. But given that I have more than I can spend, I suppose I can (reluctantly!) afford to throw out a jar of recalled peanut butter.

I'd return it to Amazon, but since it is open and partly eaten already I'm thinking that is a lot of effort that might not get me anything.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2022, 10:30 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Nah, I really AM that tight with my money. But given that I have more than I can spend, I suppose I can (reluctantly!) afford to throw out a jar of recalled peanut butter.

I'd return it to Amazon, but since it is open and partly eaten already I'm thinking that is a lot of effort that might not get me anything.

Contact Amazon and ask for a refund. They might not ask you to return it.
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Turbo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:48 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That stuff has too much sugar. I want the stuff that is just peanuts and a bit of salt, and nada else.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:20 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Received an email from Costco stating we purchased the Jiff peanut butter in the past month. After looking in the pantry I found 3 1/2 jars that fall under the recall. DH already started eating one jar.

Costco told us to bring all the jars back for a refund.
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:50 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo29 View Post
Contact Amazon and ask for a refund. They might not ask you to return it.
This... I'll bet they won't ask for a product return.

I have 1 1/2 jars that I have to return to a local grocery store tomorrow.
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:27 PM   #26

It's not worth the shipping. Plus if Amazon takes it back they have disposal costs.

Choosey mother choose something healthier than Jif.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:01 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
WOW! I just looked at one we had, and we have opened and used. The one we have had the 425 last 3 digits and the first 4 are 1204. I would say we should be fine but close!!
Same here... same plant but manufactured before the bad batches.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:47 PM   #28

Had to dump the last 2-pack bought from Costco.

Annoying that I can't get a refund applied over-the-phone...have to go into the local store.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:27 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Same here... same plant but manufactured before the bad batches.
Just to be cheery, I'll mention the thought that maybe they've been selling salmonella-contaminated peanut butter for the past year or more.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:39 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I love peanut butter but a 28 oz jar would last us well beyond the expiration date. When did PB get do pricey? I have a new jar with only a couple of servings used within the dreaded date range. I think I bought this from Aldi but I really don’t recall. Thanks for the PSA.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Just to be cheery, I'll mention the thought that maybe they've been selling salmonella-contaminated peanut butter for the past year or more.

Salmonella requires a fairly large innoculum before one gets ill. Heat easily kills it. Make a soup or a Thai peanut curry dish with it and you’ll be fine. Remember that only 14 people have reported illness, NATIONWIDE. Unless you have a serious immune deficiency, Salmonella is a self-limited infection. Physicians should not prescribe antibiotics for a Salmonella infection except under specific circumstances.

So they may have been selling Salmonelka-contaminated peanut butter, or maybe not. What I’ve read is that based on the recollections of those few who were ill. Fourteen people in twelve states? Really?

Has anyone actually seen any testing of the peanut butter or the factory that shows Salmonella is in any of their products? I haven’t seen any evidence regarding Salmonella actually being in the products.

Please, , as a society, can we focus on more productive matters, such as reducing gun deaths and car accident deaths, and preventing Covid through updated vaccines and wearing a mask?
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:20 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

You can now apply for replacement coupons from the Jif website. There is a link to a form that asks for name, address, phone, product UPC code and lot number.

The recall contact form button is on the following page:
https://jms-s3-mkt-consumer-p-pmc6.s...om/recall.html

fyi: The lot # field wants all 13 or so digits, not just the first 7.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I love peanut butter but a 28 oz jar would last us well beyond the expiration date. When did PB get do pricey? I have a new jar with only a couple of servings used within the dreaded date range. I think I bought this from Aldi but I really don’t recall. Thanks for the PSA.
Not sure what you mean by so pricey? I asked DW yesterday how much the Costco refund was on the two 48-oz jars and is was about $7.20 (there was a $2 sale). But even ~$9 seems cheap to me.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
You can now apply for replacement coupons from the Jif website. There is a link to a form that asks for name, address, phone, product UPC code and lot number.

The recall contact form button is on the following page:
https://jms-s3-mkt-consumer-p-pmc6.s...om/recall.html

fyi: The lot # field wants all 13 or so digits, not just the first 7.
Ah, thanks gromit. So they are including the processing clock time with the Lot Code. The bottom of the form also answered my question on what if one has more than one type of PB... fill out another form. Hopefully, the replacement coupon's expiration date is dated way out there
Old 05-24-2022, 07:52 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

years ago we used to get Jif a lot, but switched to house brand PB.. Hy VEE peanut butter and cant tell the difference, except for price
ERObjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:03 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Found out we have a partially eaten 33.5 oz jar of JIF no sugar added that falls into the recall. No ill affects so far. I did complete the online form for replacement coupons. We will see how long it takes to get the coupons, and then replacement product in the stores.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:11 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Has anyone been contacted by email that replacement coupons will be sent? If so, what did the response from them say or did they give a timeline for receiving coupons? Will they send coupons by an email or by mail?
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:15 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Has anyone been contacted by email that replacement coupons will be sent? If so, what did the response from them say or did they give a timeline for receiving coupons? Will they send coupons by an email or by mail?

Yes, I got an email on Friday. It said I should expect coupons "within 6 weeks". It just says "we will be sending you coupons", without saying whether it is via email or US Mail.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:17 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In the last year I have probably had close to 50 28oz jars of Jif Peanut Butter and never gotten sick.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:22 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
Yes, I got an email on Friday. It said I should expect coupons "within 6 weeks". It just says "we will be sending you coupons", without saying whether it is via email or US Mail.
Thanks, gromit. Just wondering if they respond and then I suppose you will receive them by mail if you had to give currant address.
street is online now   Reply With Quote