JIF Peanut Butter Recall 5/20/22 for Salmonella

It's not worth the shipping. Plus if Amazon takes it back they have disposal costs.

Choosey mother choose something healthier than Jif. :D

WOW! I just looked at one we had, and we have opened and used. The one we have had the 425 last 3 digits and the first 4 are 1204. I would say we should be fine but close!!
Same here... same plant but manufactured before the bad batches.

Had to dump the last 2-pack bought from Costco.

Annoying that I can't get a refund applied over-the-phone...have to go into the local store.

Same here... same plant but manufactured before the bad batches.

Just to be cheery, I'll mention the thought that maybe they've been selling salmonella-contaminated peanut butter for the past year or more. :(

I love peanut butter but a 28 oz jar would last us well beyond the expiration date. When did PB get do pricey? I have a new jar with only a couple of servings used within the dreaded date range. I think I bought this from Aldi but I really don’t recall. Thanks for the PSA.

Just to be cheery, I'll mention the thought that maybe they've been selling salmonella-contaminated peanut butter for the past year or more. :(

Salmonella requires a fairly large innoculum before one gets ill. Heat easily kills it. Make a soup or a Thai peanut curry dish with it and you’ll be fine. Remember that only 14 people have reported illness, NATIONWIDE. Unless you have a serious immune deficiency, Salmonella is a self-limited infection. Physicians should not prescribe antibiotics for a Salmonella infection except under specific circumstances.

So they may have been selling Salmonelka-contaminated peanut butter, or maybe not. What I’ve read is that based on the recollections of those few who were ill. Fourteen people in twelve states? Really?

Has anyone actually seen any testing of the peanut butter or the factory that shows Salmonella is in any of their products? I haven’t seen any evidence regarding Salmonella actually being in the products.

Please, , as a society, can we focus on more productive matters, such as reducing gun deaths and car accident deaths, and preventing Covid through updated vaccines and wearing a mask?

I love peanut butter but a 28 oz jar would last us well beyond the expiration date. When did PB get do pricey? I have a new jar with only a couple of servings used within the dreaded date range. I think I bought this from Aldi but I really don’t recall. Thanks for the PSA.

Not sure what you mean by so pricey? I asked DW yesterday how much the Costco refund was on the two 48-oz jars and is was about $7.20 (there was a $2 sale). But even ~$9 seems cheap to me.

You can now apply for replacement coupons from the Jif website. There is a link to a form that asks for name, address, phone, product UPC code and lot number. :)

The recall contact form button is on the following page:
https://jms-s3-mkt-consumer-p-pmc6.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/recall.html

fyi: The lot # field wants all 13 or so digits, not just the first 7.
Ah, thanks gromit. So they are including the processing clock time with the Lot Code. The bottom of the form also answered my question on what if one has more than one type of PB... fill out another form. Hopefully, the replacement coupon's expiration date is dated way out there ;)

years ago we used to get Jif a lot, but switched to house brand PB.. Hy VEE peanut butter and cant tell the difference, except for price

Found out we have a partially eaten 33.5 oz jar of JIF no sugar added that falls into the recall. No ill affects so far. I did complete the online form for replacement coupons. We will see how long it takes to get the coupons, and then replacement product in the stores.

Has anyone been contacted by email that replacement coupons will be sent? If so, what did the response from them say or did they give a timeline for receiving coupons? Will they send coupons by an email or by mail?

Has anyone been contacted by email that replacement coupons will be sent? If so, what did the response from them say or did they give a timeline for receiving coupons? Will they send coupons by an email or by mail?

Yes, I got an email on Friday. It said I should expect coupons "within 6 weeks". It just says "we will be sending you coupons", without saying whether it is via email or US Mail.

Last edited:

In the last year I have probably had close to 50 28oz jars of Jif Peanut Butter and never gotten sick.

Yes, I got an email on Friday. It said I should expect coupons "within 6 weeks". It just says "we will be sending you coupons", without saying whether it is via email or US Mail.

Thanks, gromit. Just wondering if they respond and then I suppose you will receive them by mail if you had to give currant address.

In the last year I have probably had close to 50 28oz jars of Jif Peanut Butter and never gotten sick.

We bought several jars on sale and assume they were all the same lot number of the last two we had (and were working on.) The were in the recall. We noticed no health issues for the past several weeks. I just kept eating the stuff as the jar I was working on was already half empty. Foolhardy? Perhaps but YMMV.

I use cheapo peanut butter in the humane rodent traps I keep for relocating field mice and such. Never realized I might risk poisoning them. :)

I use cheapo peanut butter in the humane rodent traps I keep for relocating field mice and such. Never realized I might risk poisoning them. :)

Don't worry, the little critters thrive on stuff that would sicken us! You'll have to go for something a little stronger if you wanna poison 'em.

Anyone get their coupons yet? Can't find a peanut butter one on the shelves here. Lol

Anyone get their coupons yet? Can't find a peanut butter one on the shelves here. Lol
Not yet. I applied on the first day the website form was active, which was 3 1/2 weeks ago. The form estimated up to 6 weeks to get the coupon. It may take longer to find it in stores.

gromit >>> Thanks and like you said, it may take longer to get it in stores and also the coupons.

Not yet. I applied on the first day the website form was active, which was 3 1/2 weeks ago. The form estimated up to 6 weeks to get the coupon. It may take longer to find it in stores.

I guess, like many other critical strategic ingredients, they have been unable to find reliable sources of salmonella. YMMV

I just got the following email from Jif. I know that the Walmart near me has close to no peanut butter of any brand on the shelf, including no Jif yet. Jif had originally said within 6 weeks, and its been 5 1/2 weeks since they started the rebate program, so I guess the update with "a few weeks" is to give them a bit more time.

"YOUR COUPON SHOULD ARRIVE SOON
We wanted to share a quick update to let you know that we are actively working to get Jif® products back on shelf and send you product coupons to reimburse you for the product(s) you purchased.

Coupons should arrive via postal mail in the next few weeks. If you have any additional questions, feel free to visit us at Jif.com or give us a call at 800-828-9980."

Last edited:
I just got the following email from Jif. I know that the Walmart near me has close to no peanut butter of any brand on the shelf, including no Jif yet. Jif had originally said within 6 weeks, and its been 5 1/2 weeks since they started the rebate program, so I guess the update with "a few weeks" is to give them a bit more time.

"YOUR COUPON SHOULD ARRIVE SOON
We wanted to share a quick update to let you know that we are actively working to get Jif[emoji768] products back on shelf and send you product coupons to reimburse you for the product(s) you purchased.

Coupons should arrive via postal mail in the next few weeks. If you have any additional questions, feel free to visit us at Jif.com or give us a call at 800-828-9980."

We also received an email like yours.

I wasn't aware there was a coupon program. Fortunately I purchased 4 big jars at Costco and simply took them back. No receipt, because they have all my purchases on file. Cash refund in about 3 minutes.
Currently there is no Jiff at all on our grocery store shelves in the Tampa area.

Back
Top Bottom