JIF Peanut Butter Recall 5/20/22 for Salmonella

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Saw this on the local news. JIF peanut butter of various types made by the JM Smucker co. in their Lexington KY plant. The last 3 digits of the lot code, if 425, signify that it was made in the Lexington plant.

If so, then look at the first 4 digits of the lot code. If they are in the range 1274 through 2140, they are in the recall.

To find Lot Code:
Look for "BEST IF USED BY" pre-printed words on label.
Right underneath will be the added future date. Under that will be the added Lot Code. After the Lot Code is the added processing clock code.

We had an unopened one. :sick:

FDA link to it:

https://www.fda.gov/food/outbreaks-...vestigation-salmonella-peanut-butter-may-2022

Last edited:
I have 2 of the 40oz recalled jars and had eaten out of one of them on a few occasions, including yesterday.

Walmart just raised the price of a 40oz jar from $5.94 to 6.97, so I guess Salmonella costs about a dollar a jar. :facepalm:

WOW! I just looked at one we had, and we have opened and used. The one we have had the 425 last 3 digits and the first 4 are 1204. I would say we should be fine but close!!

I missed a SECOND unopened jar in the pantry, recalled lot code too, so that's 2 we have. One creamy, one extra-crunchy.

The FDA note in effect said "stay tuned", so I suspect more to come. I wonder if that Lexington KY plant also produces private-labeled jars of PB also. Lot's of store-branded PB out there!

Thank you for this

Thanks for this heads up.
I had a jar, been using for a week now, that falls in the affected code range, and expiration date of Feb 2024. Purchased at Aldi in Florida.
I’ve experienced no effects, and will dispose of it at Aldi for return.

My understanding is that the last three digits (425) of the first seven digits indicate it was packaged in Lexington, KY facility. I just killed a jar and opened another (I eat it by the tablespoon as a snack). Dug the old jar out of the recycle bin and looked at the new jar and both had the dreaded 425.

My stomach has been bothering me for about the last month. I thought it was my diverticulosis acting up. I have an ultrasound scheduled for this week and a gastrointestinal in the future. This recall explains it but I plan on keeping the appointments.

Checked mine and it wasn't in the "range"... Good thing I guess since ~90% of it has already been eaten.

Has anyone ever gotten refunds for recalled products? Was it through the grocery with a receipt or did the manufacturer provide refunds somehow? I noticed that the JIF website only said to discard the product immediately. They had no info on whether consumers could get refunds and how.

I bought a package at Costco a month or two ago. I took the pack back to Costco today and they gave me a refund, no receipt required.

I bought two 40-oz jars (80 oz twin-pack) of JIF six months ago from Amazon. I finished one completely (yes, I love peanut butter!). The other jar is about 1/4 gone. The latter is in the recall number range, specifically 13364250322:33 under the Best if Used By date.

According to the Mayo Clinic website, (emphasis mine),

Some people with salmonella infection have no symptoms. Most people develop diarrhea, fever and stomach (abdominal) cramps within 8 to 72 hours after exposure. Most healthy people recover within a few days to a week without specific treatment.

In some cases, diarrhea can cause severe dehydration and requires prompt medical attention. Life-threatening complications also may develop if the infection spreads beyond the intestines. The risk of getting salmonella infection is higher with travel to countries without clean drinking water and proper sewage disposal.

So from that, I'd assume that either I didn't get salmonella from the first jar, or if I did then I "recovered within a few days to a week without specific treatment".

I ordered two more 40-oz jars of JIF from Target (before seeing this thread), and they are due for delivery on Wednesday. :facepalm: Hopefully they will not be among those recalled.

I bought two 40-oz jars (80 oz twin-pack) of JIF six months ago from Amazon. I finished one completely (yes, I love peanut butter!). The other jar is about 1/4 gone. The latter is in the recall number range, specifically 13364250322:33 under the Best if Used By date.

So from that, I'd assume that either I didn't get salmonella from the first jar, or if I did then I "recovered within a few days to a week without specific treatment".

I ordered two more 40-oz jars of JIF from Target (before seeing this thread), and they are due for delivery on Wednesday. :facepalm: Hopefully they will not be among those recalled.
If you had it, you would know. Common food poisoning with food poisoning symptoms. I recall it vividly. Sophomore year of college. My sister and i had shared a piece of chicken and a steak from Lone star Steakhouse. We both had it. We were aware we were sick

Reactions: W2R
I eat Jif peanut butter daily, approx one 28oz jar a week. All of my peanut butter is in the range so that means the last several jars were likely within the range and no problems.

Reactions: W2R
Thanks for the post. We purchased a 2 pack from Sam's Club on 5/20 with an expiration date of March 2024. Both had the same lot number and are part of the recall. We had not yet opened them and plan to return them to Sam's tomorrow.

If you had it, you would know. Common food poisoning with food poisoning symptoms. I recall it vividly. Sophomore year of college. My sister and i had shared a piece of chicken and a steak from Lone star Steakhouse. We both had it. We were aware we were sick

Yes, on knowing. The only event I had ws from a tacobell somewhere outside of SanClemente CA. Maybe 45 years ago. Had to pull over to the side of the freeway and fertileze the roadside.

Some people can also develop a carrier state where they show no symptoms but are able to pass it on. Usually because they are less than thorough with hand hygiene after using the restroom.

Pathogen Safety Data Sheets: Infectious Substances – Salmonella enterica spp.

"Typhoid Mary" was one example of this. Typhoid is one of the Salmonella species, albeit more deadly than what is in the Jif.

Last edited:
We got a call from Costco saying we see you bought it, throw it out and stop in customer service for your refund next time you are in the store.

Score one for Target! They cancelled the Jif peanut butter from my order. I hadn't even contacted Target yet to ask them about it, because I was waiting to get the jars so I could check the numbers and see if they were recalled.

Not only did they make that proactive move, but also they didn't charge me for shipping even though removing the peanut butter meant the rest of my order fell beneath the $35 threshold for free shipping.

:dance: :clap: :dance:

And, they took it off their website, probably temporarily.

My plan now is to:

(1) buy Skippy or Peter Pan peanut butter, until Jif has had a chance to fix the salmonella problems.

(2) throw out the rest of the jar of JIF that I already have, after thinking about MrsHaloFIRE's post (#11) and Turbo29's post (#16).

There is such a thing as too much LBYM and I must reluctantly admit that eating peanut butter which might contain salmonella probably fits in that category. :sick:

Thanks, MrsHaloFIRE and Turbo29, and Telly of course! :flowers::flowers::flowers:

There is such a thing as too much LBYM and I must reluctantly admit that eating peanut butter which might contain salmonella probably fits in that category. :sick:

A wise decision, W2R! Oh... maybe you were being tongue-in-cheek! :)

If by chance there are any severe LBYM'ers out there, I suggest they stop drinking from puddles and downspouts. :D

I'm a "when in doubt, throw it out" person when it comes to food and water. I have no desire to tempt any possible intestinal or gastro-intestinal issues.

UPDATE - There is an FDA update dated Sunday 5/22/22 here:

https://www.fda.gov/food/outbreaks-...vestigation-salmonella-peanut-butter-may-2022

From what I can see with a quick look, they added a case count map. They did not fix the numerical order of the UPC list, the first four items do not belong at the top of the increasing-numeric UPC sequence, they should be further down.

We have two jars in the recall. Have eaten half of one with no adverse effects. Both will go back to the store. Actually happy, the "Reduced Fat" PB is horrible!

A wise decision, W2R! Oh... maybe you were being tongue-in-cheek! :)

Nah, I really AM that tight with my money. But given that I have more than I can spend, I suppose I can (reluctantly!) afford to throw out a jar of recalled peanut butter.

I'd return it to Amazon, but since it is open and partly eaten already I'm thinking that is a lot of effort that might not get me anything.

Nah, I really AM that tight with my money. But given that I have more than I can spend, I suppose I can (reluctantly!) afford to throw out a jar of recalled peanut butter.

I'd return it to Amazon, but since it is open and partly eaten already I'm thinking that is a lot of effort that might not get me anything.

Contact Amazon and ask for a refund. They might not ask you to return it.

That stuff has too much sugar. I want the stuff that is just peanuts and a bit of salt, and nada else.

Received an email from Costco stating we purchased the Jiff peanut butter in the past month. After looking in the pantry I found 3 1/2 jars that fall under the recall. DH already started eating one jar.

Costco told us to bring all the jars back for a refund.

Contact Amazon and ask for a refund. They might not ask you to return it.

This... I'll bet they won't ask for a product return.

I have 1 1/2 jars that I have to return to a local grocery store tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom