Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been going to a gym for probably 35 years (not the same one of course). But I was a college athlete so doing athletics has been a part of my life forever.

Currently I strength train 4-5 times weekly, play ice hockey and run with my dogs (I can't keep up sadly haha).

Some type of exercise is critical to not only overall health, balance and so on but plays a huge role in brain health.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We joined Planet Fitness last year and enjoy it. Reasonable price, clean, open 24 hours, and friendly staff. We never have to wait for treadmills or machines. I do not have a set workout schedule, but usually go 3-4 days per week. I think you will like Planet Fitness.
Jpg1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No gym membership for me, but I do some kind of exercise every day. I walk (several miles, usually), do a little sprinting, plus I do some pullups (have a pullup bar in the house), squats, and a few other exercises at home most days. I also get quite a bit of exercise during the summer months - mowing several lawns (push mower, no rider), gardening, kayaking, and various other activities. And of course shoveling snow during the winter. The key is just to keep moving, doing something.....sitting for too long will kill you.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #24

No gym, but a few feet behind me here in my den I have a treadmill, a rowing machine and a free weight bench.

I used to run but arthritis has put a stop to that. Still, I walk a lot. When I go to a store, I normally park as far away as I can and walk to and from the store.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We got lucky when our park district built a very deluxe facility within walking distance of our home. Large, clean/well maintained, all the latest goodies, full size pool, two full size gyms. Costs a bit under $200/yr for me and DW is free because she has "Silver Sneakers" with her Medicare Advantage plan. Lots of classes and group training offered for free. Personalized training and physical therapy is reasonable (cheap compared to the nearby private clubs).

Having said all that good stuff......

DW gets an A+ for going regularly. I get a C. I'm erratic. I get the bug and go 3 - 4 times a week for several weeks in a row. Then I have something come up, miss a few days, and need to get re-motivated. I really wish I could be more driven and disciplined about it and not have the regular periods of blowing it off.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I go to our Y 4 or 5 times per week immediately after w*rk. I feel it's better for me. I can do it rain or shine, day or night. I also do it to get out of the house.
InTheSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #27

I have been lifting weights for 40 years, seriously for 30. Changed my workout a couple of years ago and surprisingly this is the best I've ever looked, with less time, injury, and exertion per workout. I believe strongly in the benefits of diet and exercise, as evidenced by lowering my LDL and elevating my HDL through diet alone in the past year. Both doctors this year said I am in exceptional health, and I view this as a both a financial and quality of life investment for the future.

To get healthier, I recommend reading this, as it could change, and even save (really!), your life:

The RealAge Makeover: Take Years Off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life: Michael F. Roizen: 8601401212003: Amazon.com: Books

(don't be fooled by the title; it's about an internal physical makeover, although who is to say there aren't external benefits as well)
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #28
Administrator

We have a gym membership and go 4 days / week. Over the weekend we usually walk and/or bike.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #29

I just hate exercising indoors, it is sooooo boring. But the dog expects to be walked twice a day so that's my basic level of exercise. Weather permitting, I love a good 12+ mile bicycle ride and an occasional weekend backpack.
Unfortunately, living in a lake effect snow area, I find in Jan & Feb that I must suck up my distaste for indoor exercise and get on the old Schwinn Airdyne in the basement....after I set up a TV and streaming Netflix to make the effort barely tolerable, after walking the dog of course...she goes out in any kind of weather which means I go with her (used to do more miles with her but now that she is 13 years old, she takes about 40 minutes to cover a mile)
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
On days it's too inclement I get on our in-home elliptical. That might be better cardio - but definitely not the same zen feeling.
Inclement weather? In San Diego? If I lived there there would be no need for a gym. Just go outside when it's nice--every single day. Here in Wisconsin it's either raining or brutally cold for 250 days a year.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #31

No gym membership here. We have a treadmill, total trainer gym and free weights. In the warmer months, I alternate between running outside and strength training at home. During the winter I combine strength training with indoor aerobic exercises. Might consider trying a gym once retired but just doesn't work with my current schedule.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:27 PM   #32

No gym membership, live in a rural area and it's too far to travel to the closes gym. Have a nice set of adjustable dumbbells and workout with weights 2-3 times a week at home along with running 3 times a week and golf (walking) 3-4 times a week.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

My SO and I belong to the local YMCA, which has a decent gym. I simply use the elliptical and the rowing machine (so far). Began this only in March of this year, when I ER'ed. I've lost about ten pounds of flab and kept off. I go four times a week.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DW and I have been going to a gym ("Wellness Center", they call it) affiliated with the local hospital and located within sight of it. I started about two years ago and DW about a year before that. We go every other day, rarely skipping a day and that's always because of a schedule conflict with something else.

It is slightly more expensive ($58.50/month for two) than other gyms but the staff is very knowledgeable and the equipment is clean and well maintained. Since most there are retirees, at least during the times we go, there is no "posturing" or that type of silliness that I sometimes hear about at other places.
Frank and I belong to a similar Wellness Center. Everything you said applies except our fees are a little higher, $42/month each. I like it a lot. Ours has lots of very nice equipment, and we seldom have to wait for anything. It also has several large indoor pools, an indoor track, stretching stations, steam room, massage rooms, classes, and so on. We have been going together on MWF ever since we retired 6 years ago. Before that, I was working but went by myself whenever I could get there.

It's fairly open and pleasant. Here's a photo of a small part of the main room where the machines are. You can see someone walking on the indoor track, which goes around the perimeter on the second floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0158.jpg (63.4 KB, 10 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:55 PM   #35

I've been walking ~2 miles weekday mornings for 15 years - now it's nearly every day since the dog really needs a good walk. Also a weekly yoga class. But I know I should do more upper body work and never have been able to get myself motivated to do it at home, so I've been considering joining a nearby Curves. That's because when I traveled a lot on business and went into the hotel gym for a treadmill walk, I hated the looks from the macho dudes. So I figured a women-only gym might work better for me. I know several women who go there (all older than me) but haven't gone to check it out yet.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:23 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

No gym membership, but have a bowflex, dumbbells and treadmill in my basement that I use at least 3 times a week. Usually when DW goes to the gym. I Bike and hike in good weather.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:01 AM   #37

I probably would not pay for a gym with just machines but I've had a Boston Sports Club membership for at least 15 years b/c they have pools. My doctor recommended swimming for me while I was recovering from a running injury. It took awhile to get into it, but it was worth it. I believe that there is something about swimming that changes your brain. I swim at 5am on weekdays and run at the same time on weekends. For me it is the foundation for a good day.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:50 AM   #38

No gym, but I ride a bicycle around town for a few miles every day. The trips are usually just a few miles round trip, with the occasional 15-20 mile excursion. Recently, I began adding a set of daily exercises prescribed by my physical therapist. They seem to be working wonders for my arthritic hip. Have thought about joining the local YMCA for their swim-exercise classes but for some odd reason, joining anything is not my thing at all. I'm really weird like that.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:56 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I am primarily a cyclist but started with a personal trainer last winter to work on some core and back strength and flexibility issues that were causing some problems. It worked, but was expensive so just joined my wife's gym so I could continue them work though I don't enjoy it. They say some strength work is good for cyclists as we age.

My wife swims at the gym as well as does a couple classes or strength training. I during winter I ride by indoor bike trainer. Not much fun on the 2'hour sessions but good for watching tedtalks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:50 AM   #40

I belong to a small 24 hour fitness center within walking distance of my home. Since I've been a member for several years and joined when they were giving a local neighbor discount my rate has been grandfathered and I pay roughly $175 a year (about $15 a month). I go four days a week (M,T,T,F) for 90 minutes each day.