Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Just got 1st implant - now what?
Old 01-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just got 1st implant - now what?

Just received my first implant today and was wondering what others may have done to help with the healing process. Did you eat any specific foods or take any supplements? I’d appreciate any and all advice.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

What type of implant?
Old 01-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
Just received my first implant today and was wondering what others may have done to help with the healing process. Did you eat any specific foods or take any supplements? I’d appreciate any and all advice.
Well, I just ate soft foods for a day or two after my dental implants. Since I am utterly crazy about ice cream, I ate a whole pint of ice cream the first day and then had things like soup and so on. The ice cream really helped. I don't know if it was the fact that it was cold, or if it was the fact that I love ice cream and felt pampered, that helped.

Basically, I recommend ICE CREAM if you can get it, and not Rocky Road - - just plain vanilla or something without hard chunks in it.

I didn't take any supplements but my oral surgeon had me on an antibiotic and I had instructions to use a special prescription mouthwash. And there was another pill, maybe an anti-inflammatory? I don't recall. I remember now, it was Vicodin for pain. I only took one and only because he made me promise to take one before the Novacaine wore off. After that I really didn't feel it was necessary because I wasn't in much pain at all.

Basically you will feel MUCH better in 24-48 hours and able to proceed with normal life then.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well, I just ate soft foods for a day or two after my dental implants. Since I am utterly crazy about ice cream, I ate a whole pint of ice cream the first day and then had things like soup and so on. The ice cream really helped. I don't know if it was the fact that it was cold, or if it was the fact that I love ice cream and felt pampered, that helped.

I didn't take any supplements but my oral surgeon had me on an antibiotic and I had instructions to use a special prescription mouthwash. And there was another pill, maybe an anti-inflammatory? I don't recall.

Basically you will feel MUCH better in 24-48 hours and able to proceed with normal life then.

This was pretty much my drill also - doc said keep taking all the Rex till they are done even if u feel fine - I was fine after a day
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What type of implant?
Not sure how to answer. What are the choices?
Old 01-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not sure how to answer. What are the choices?
Hip, knee, birth control, dental, breast...
Old 01-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #7

So far I’ve taken 2 Tylenol and 2 Ibuprofen and I feel fine and all numbness is gone. The dentist gave me a prescription for a pain med but I don’t think I will fill it. He also gave me the special mouthwash and said to use it twice a day. I want to make sure I do everything possible to make sure there are no setbacks.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Hip, knee, birth control, dental....
Ohhhh, sorry. Dental.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
This was pretty much my drill also - doc said keep taking all the Rex till they are done even if u feel fine - I was fine after a day
+1 Yeah, I felt fine the next day too IIRC. I am quite overweight and by the day after surgery, I didn't feel justified in continuing my ice cream binge.

If I hadn't felt fine the next day, then I'm sure I would have by the day after that.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So far I’ve taken 2 Tylenol and 2 Ibuprofen and I feel fine and all numbness is gone. The dentist gave me a prescription for a pain med but I don’t think I will fill it. He also gave me the special mouthwash and said to use it twice a day. I want to make sure I do everything possible to make sure there are no setbacks.
Just do what he tells you, and be careful about what you eat today. Soft/liquid foods are easier because they won't gouge you in your surgical area.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:26 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've had two dental implants. The only thing I did was avoid chewing on the implant side. Both healed nicely.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

They made me keep my eye bandaged and put drops in. Good luck.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've never needed anything stronger than one dose of OTC pain reliever, either (have had implants twice). I probably did avoid chewing on the side with the implant fo ra day or two and that was it.

The second time, I asked the oral surgeon about using my bite guard (a plastic molded piece meant to keep me from grinding my teeth in my sleep). He just about jumped out of his chair and told me NOT to use it- he'd had one patient who went right back to using it and somehow it irritated the implant site and caused big problems. When I finally did go back to using it, I was so cautious I lopped off the back end that went over the implant site- it still kept my teeth separated but left the implant site exposed.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The worst pain with an implant is in the pocketbook. My Frankenstein charged $895 to remove the old tooth and put a graft in the hole. Then he wanted $2250 for the implant itself. 4 months later he wants $500 for the abutment before a crown @ $850.

I had the implant done in another state for $900. Only took 5-7 minutes and never had the first pain of any kind. A simple implant is about as easy as a filling.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:27 PM   #15

My experience was exactly like W2R's. The prescription was needed about an hour after surgery, and since it was late afternoon, I took another for bedtime. I think I woke a few times that night because I toss and turn normally, and it was a bit sore.

Mostly just had soup for dinner that night.

But the next day I was back to just an Aleve, and soft food. I think there was still a little bleeding the next morning but nothing after that. You'll barely feel anything by Thursday. (except yes you'll keep poking at it with your tongue).
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I've had two dental implants. The only thing I did was avoid chewing on the implant side. Both healed nicely.
+1 exactly. The extraction was a bigger deal.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hip, knee, birth control, dental, breast...
you were hopeful!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:16 AM   #18

I just waited for the 2nd one. I had needed two implants and a partial - which had costed well over 8k about 7 years ago. I'm sure glad that I did this, though.

Anyway, like an earlier poster said - the extraction was the worst part.

I
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Droll, very droll!

-BB
Old 01-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #20

My implant site got a little infected and I needed antibiotics to clear it up. Quite uncomfortable for a few days. Everything good in the end though.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote