Just got my zoster vaccine

Is shingles getting more common? I don't remember hearing much about until recently.

Ha

I've been hearing about it for at least 30 years and it scares the crap out of me.

Will be getting the vax when I turn 60 (~year and a half).

Is shingles getting more common? I don't remember hearing much about until recently.
You don't hear so much about stuff you can neither prevent nor treat. Shingles has become slightly treatable and moderately preventable in the last few years.

I mentioned this vaccine to my father about a year ago after having seen a friend who is about the same age suffer mightily with shingles a couple of years ago.

My father doesn't think he ever had chicken pox which makes me really wonder. I'm pretty sure my sister and I had chicken pox when I was about 5. It is one of my earliest memories - sitting in the bath miserable because of all the pustules. I don't see how my Dad would not have gotten sick at the time if he had not already had chicken pox. He doesn't remember my memory either. It would be my mother who would remember things like this - unfortunately she passed away a long time ago.

So - he can get tested to see if he has ever had chicken pox? I hate the idea of him contracting shingles. He will be 79 this month.

Audrey

Audrey, see my post dated 4-24-09 relative to getting tested for chicken pox.

I am over 60. Dr suggested vacine BUT
1. Insurance will NOT pay
2. Dr. office charges $350
3. Drug store charges $275 + $50 admin fee

Due to an accident I had Thanksgiving w/ Dr. visits, PT & druges spread over 2008 AND 2009 I am already out of pocket 2 $300 co pays + 20% copay for EVERY Dr. visit and PT session and $30-$50 per Rx ( I am on 2 regular monthly Rx). total is >$1000 beyond my flexible spending account already AND its only May. Have a min of $500 more to pay this year just for routine Rx if nothing else crops up. Simply cannot afford MORE out of pocket expense.

I am going to HAVE to wait until 2010. I will adjust my flex medical to include this.

......<snip>........ Simply cannot afford MORE out of pocket expense.

I am going to HAVE to wait until 2010. I will adjust my flex medical to include this.

You might want to talk to someone that has has shingles before you make that decision.

From what I had heard from others who had family or friends that acquired a bad case of shingles, those were people whose immune systems weren't strong. Several were alcoholics or had cancer. In my mother's case, she had recently been released from a 3 wk stay in a hospital and had only given up drinking and smoking about 2 months prior. She was underweight and malnourished, which may have led to a worse case than she would have had otherwise. However, even the mild cases of shingles seem to cause lots of misery, but they just don't seem to last years and years.
Why the insurance companies won't cover this for everyone over 50 is a mystery, as it can lead to huge medical bills not to mention so much misery.:(

From what I had heard from others who had family or friends that acquired a bad case of shingles, those were people whose immune systems weren't strong. Several were alcoholics or had cancer. In my mother's case, she had recently been released from a 3 wk stay in a hospital and had only given up drinking and smoking about 2 months prior. She was underweight and malnourished, which may have led to a worse case than she would have had otherwise. However, even the mild cases of shingles seem to cause lots of misery, but they just don't seem to last years and years.
Shingles can and does routinely affect otherwise perfectly healthy people who have normal immune systems. Shingles itself (the rash) lasts for weeks; post-herpetic neuralgia (the nerve pain itself) occasionally lasts for year to life.

I was expecting some BAD medical news. Had some BAD test results in Feb and just had the retests done 5/8. Logged in to get the results after my post & everything is ok.

HOWEVER:
I need dental work that is NOT much covered - 4/30 appt xrays
My washer just died (its only 6 y/o but was junk from day 1 so I will NOT put $$$ into repairs) or I have a MAJOR sewer line issue (water all over the laundry room floor).

Budget is already VERY tight and cannot really handle all these extras. I just have to cut/wait where/when I can.

Back
Top Bottom