Kaci Hickox must have had her sponsors lined up in advance

Another physician in self-imposed quarantine:
Stanford doctor in Ebola quarantine in Bay Area - SFGate
has a different attitude.

The "difference" is that the doctor decided to isolate himself, and the reasons are his own.

In the case of Hickox, an arbitrary, unfounded confinement was imposed on her for no legitimate reason.

Worse than that, she was confined because of a politician pandering to the fear and ignorance of the public.

Another physician in self-imposed quarantine:
Stanford doctor in Ebola quarantine in Bay Area - SFGate
has a different attitude.

Good story. And he seems very understanding of Hickox (who didn't get to go straight home and whose quarantine in Maine is more restrictive than Bucks' is in California--he is officially allowed to go for walks and runs in his neighborhood although he chooses not to, while she is not supposed to step outside her door for any reason):

...he said he understood the nurse’s frustration at being penned up upon her return.

“I’m very sympathetic to what she’s experienced. I think she was probably anxious to begin her isolation and have it be a restful time,” Bucks said. “I don’t want to put words in her mouth, but I understand what it means to work really, really hard and get back into the country. Everyone has their own process for re-establishing normalcy and getting their feet underneath them.”

I'll just note that she is a nurse and epidemiologist who tested negative for ebola multiple times, was and is asymptomatic, including no fever when measured by competent persons, and is not contagious. She does have some experience with the proper care and handling of this disease.

On the other hand, she is not a politician running for office, or worried about being painted as 'soft on ebola.'

Still, her experience with an airport holding cell/interview room and at Camp Christie may perhaps have disturbed her, even though the treatment was nothing as extreme as what some of our informed citizens out on the Internet have recommended.

Let's just roll with majority rule for disease control and management. All one need do is avoid the miasma... That'll work.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov

I'll just note that she is a nurse and epidemiologist who tested negative for ebola multiple times, was and is asymptomatic, including no fever when measured by competent persons, and is not contagious. She does have some experience with the proper care and handling of this disease.

On the other hand, she is not a politician running for office, or worried about being painted as 'soft on ebola.'

Still, her experience with an airport holding cell/interview room and at Camp Christie may perhaps have disturbed her, even though the treatment was nothing as extreme as what some of our informed citizens out on the Internet have recommended.

Let's just roll with majority rule for disease control and management. All one need do is avoid the miasma... That'll work.

Wow!

That was nicely said.
I really appreciate that Asimov quote too.

I believe voluntary means "of one's own free will". However she does seem a little arrogant too me.

Perhaps her actions will cause officials to swap in "mandatory" for "voluntary".

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov
:flowers:

Right, just because the population does not believe the assurances of a few self-nominated experts means that we all want to break open the craniums of university professors and feast on the goo within. Please.

First off, I think the probability is she is negative. However, I find her actions totally irresponsible. It is not good enough to say 'she is a professional and she has not tested positive' The doctor in NYC was also a professional, did not test positive, until he did. The nurse that flew to Chicago also did not test positive until she did. In fact, patient zero in Dallas did not test positive, well until he did. Military personnel, who have not treated patients, ok to quarantine, nurses, No. Personally that makes no since to me.

I have no clue what the law says about the governments ability to legally quarantine someone. However, I seem to remember people being quarantined in the past for suspected diseases, although I don't remember specifics. I do feel politics enter into this on both sides, and I think it is evidence in some of the post here. In fact I am surprised the pig has not made an appearance. Bottom line is we elect public officials to make the hard decisions. Then one side of the other criticizes them when they do.

Last edited:
The Ebola issue has defaulted to the Governors level due to bungling by the CDC and a lack of clear direction from Washington. With pressure from a fearful and confused electorate I would probably do the same. Where's the Ebola Czar?

Actually the Constitution puts the primary responsibility for public health with the states, not the federal government. All the feds can do is regulate interstate and international travel, the rest is reserved to the states by the 10th amendment. Quarantines have always been a state/local matter not a federal issue. The CDC can and does advise the states, but the states can reject the advice. The CDC's advice is clear but states have chosen to reject it.

First off, I think the probability is she is negative. However, I find her actions totally irresponsible. It is not good enough to say 'she is a professional and she has not tested positive' The doctor in NYC was also a professional, did not test positive, until he did. The nurse that flew to Chicago also did not test positive until she did.

I have no clue what the law says about the governments ability to legally quarantine someone. However, I seem to remember people being quarantined in the past for suspected diseases, although I don't remember specifics. I do feel politics enter into this on both sides, and I think it is evidence in some of the post here. In fact I am surprised the pig has not made an appearance. Bottom line is we elect public officials to make the hard decisions. Then one side of the other criticizes them when they do.
Sometime in the mid to late 40s I had Scarlet fever, which is just an infection with one of several sub-types of streptococcus. I had a sore throat, and a rash. At that time, after the discovery of sulfonamides and penicillin, but before these drugs were released to the civilian population, there were no available effective treatments. Scarlet fever could progress into rheumatic fever which was a major bummer. I believe it could also destroy heart valves or cause a later kidney disease even if one did not progress to rheumatic fever. At least where I lived, children with this condition were quarantined until they were better. I remember that i got some toys from another child who had recovered from it, and when I was better I was supposed to either pass on my toys or destroy them. I have no idea how realistic this was.

But I am very sure that people did not flout the quarantine order. For one thing, that red rash was a dead giveaway, for another you felt like crap so staying in bed seemed like an OK deal.

Public health officials are no more honest with the population than other officials. It surprises me that so many members, normally very suspicious and skeptical about everything, are sure enough about the exact parameters of Ebola that that they heap scorn on members who are not so absolutely sure.

Ha

Well what do you know: Ha and I have more in common than I thought. I had scarlet fever as a kid as well. I have never been sicker, not even when I had mono for a month in college. I wonder how common scarlet fever is?

Hahaha... Did we have the same Constitution in the 30s?

Attachments

• Poster_-__Regulation_of_the_Milk_Supply__(FDA_178)_(8211297109).jpg
    Poster_-__Regulation_of_the_Milk_Supply__(FDA_178)_(8211297109).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 11

+100

Actually the Constitution puts the primary responsibility for public health with the states, not the federal government. All the feds can do is regulate interstate and international travel, the rest is reserved to the states by the 10th amendment. Quarantines have always been a state/local matter not a federal issue. The CDC can and does advise the states, but the states can reject the advice. The CDC's advice is clear but states have chosen to reject it.

Unconstitutional acts by the states can and should be stricken down by the Federal courts (we are a nation of laws correct?)

No time like that of fear when this is most important (although perhaps uncomfortable in the short term)

I believe that is what we are ultimately facing here.

-gauss

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. B. Franklin

Maybe we just need nicer places to quarantine people. Where she was being held sounded worse than a prison. Let's use one of the Disney parks, staffed by those who have no fear of the disease operating the attractions, hotels, and restaurants. Few folks would turn down a 3 week all expenses paid stay at one of those.

Good to see her fighting for her 'rights', but if she defies a quarantine order and spreads Ebola to anyone, she should be prosecuted for attempted murder and face life in prison.

If she has been warned, and defies it, she is a danger to society. It is no different than an Aids patient spreading Aids. People have also been prosecuted for that. And civilly sued.

These so called health workers have a lot of nerve having a great time overseas working in Ebola stricken countries, risking their own lives to stop the epidemic, then coming back here and expecting to be treated with respect. It was a perfectly nice tent, for gosh sakes.

If the CDC had more credibility then people would believe that Ebola cannot be transmitted by someone who is not showing symptoms, is not airborne, etc. The problem is that the CDC has had so many missteps lately and is calling audibles so people don't have confidence in them.

I don't see a problem with states requiring isolation for people who go abroad to help the cause as long as the people know it is part of the commitment when they sign up. Given the mortality rate and how quickly Ebola has spread elsewhere, I'd rather see us be too cautious than they to deal with an epidemic later.

If the CDC had more credibility then people would believe that Ebola cannot be transmitted by someone who is not showing symptoms, is not airborne, etc. The problem is that the CDC has had so many missteps lately and is calling audibles so people don't have confidence in them.

Even without missteps, I don't think there would be much difference in American opinion.

I don't see a problem with states requiring isolation for people who go abroad to help the cause as long as the people know it is part of the commitment when they sign up. Given the mortality rate and how quickly Ebola has spread elsewhere, I'd rather see us be too cautious than they to deal with an epidemic later.

I think the big issue (besides civil liberties) is the impact it may have with the number of volunteers. Extra caution here probably means more deaths in Africa, a longer / larger outbreak, and higher likelihood that non-health workers (like Duncan) bring Ebola back. I'm far more worried about this latter case than an aid worker who will self monitor their temps.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Good to see her fighting for her 'rights', but if she defies a quarantine order and spreads Ebola to anyone, she should be prosecuted for attempted murder and face life in prison.

If she has been warned, and defies it, she is a danger to society. It is no different than an Aids patient spreading Aids. People have also been prosecuted for that. And civilly sued.

+1
I remember those that were prosecuted for giving others AIDS.

I don't like what she is doing or how she is doing it. It doesn't matter that "she" doesn't have symptoms. "Someone", some medical professional coming back after working with Ebola patients probably does or will. How do you pick and choose? You can't. Hence the blanket quarantine.

I ask myself the question: "Do I want to be in a room with someone who has worked with Ebola patients." My answer is No.

If she is going to defy the quarantine, she should at least be made/asked to wear a scarlet "E". (a little tongue in cheek I suppose).

She wants her civil liberty choices?? So do the rest of us. And I for one would like to know if I am anywhere near a person like this.

I'm not sure who I like least....... her or their governor. I definitely don't like her attitude. I would think there should be some reasonable middle ground.
+1. I can see both sides.

Polls seem to be overwhelmingly on the side of the Governors position (80% according to http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/10/29/poll-80-percent-want-ebola-quarantines/) so I have to assume he'd be getting a lot more grief if he went along with her!

And while I can understand her POV, despite being a nurse it's seems unlikely she has a better command of the science (her claim) than the entire medical establishment. The supposed experts haven't gotten it entirely right so far, and have evidently erred on the side of 'too little' several times already. For a medical professional, she's being reckless IMO, unlike the other known ebola cases in the USA who seemed to have chosen caution for public safety over "their rights." If I lived near her she wouldn't have to stay 3 feet away from me, because I'd stay as far away from her as possible...

Last edited:
I was struck by her defiant bike ride. She rode her bike AWAY from town, the only people she saw were the press chasing after her. So far she has not exposed herself to the town, yet people still say she's awful, terrible, etc.

Look at her *actions*. She's been responsible.

As for her words - the legalities are probably on her side. There's no court order at this time. From what I've read for a quarantine to be enforced it needs more than an executive edict (Governor's office) - a court must review and determine if there is medical necessity. Until that court order happens, it's not legally binding. She's raising valid points. Probably out of anger at what happened in New Jersey.

Back
Top Bottom