Join Early Retirement Today

Keeping balance in the dark
Old 11-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Keeping balance in the dark

It has become more and more difficult to be able to walk at ease in the dark over the years and I believe this is part of the aging process? (Just like the balance test results for older folks with eyes closed)

Any way to improve this?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Yes there are. Two years ago I had visual vertigo, and went to balance therapy.

I did learn there are 3 components of balance.
1. Vestibular system
2. Any body part touching a solid surface
3. Vision

When any of these become comprised the other systems attempt to compensate to whatever degree they can. Prove that to yourself by carefully standing on one foot then close your eyes. It's a good idea to have a spotter, as you're likely to fall.

I'd recommend seeing your PCP get checked out and a prescription for balance therapy. You could also try Tai Chi or yoga, I didn't only because I was terribly ill and attempted the fastest cure.

My therapy was not fun but much of it was needed to get my vestibular system and brain working together. One tool the therapist did have me use was the balance exercises in Wii fit.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Thank you very much for your post, MRG. Very interesting. I wasn't aware there was a special therapy for it. I will ask my PCP next time about balance therapy. I exercise (mainly volleyball and swimming), but it's so hard to do flip-turns anymore (free style swimming turns) since I lose sense of where I am at. I do OK with volleyball even when I make fast turns, but of course, I have my eyes open. I don't have Wii Fit, but I can see that helping (although it looks boring and expensive :-o)

I have had bouts of vertigo in the last couple years also, and maybe it is related. I have had this balancing problem in the dark for several years though, especially when I lack sleep and am very tired.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
It has become more and more difficult to be able to walk at ease in the dark over the years and I believe this is part of the aging process? (Just like the balance test results for older folks with eyes closed)

Any way to improve this?
My approach to this problem is that I have installed 7 motion detecting nightlights that redundantly cover my bedroom, hallway, and bathroom. So, while I can sleep in a pitch black room, if/when I get up at night I am not walking in the dark.

One of the nightlights plugs into a socket, and it is of course the brightest and the best:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s00

The other six are mounted in locations where there just aren't any convenient sockets, and they are powered by 4 AA cells that need to be replaced about once a year:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

Falling is a huge problem for people over 65, and I read that it is the main reason why women over 65 are hospitalized. Not me if I can help it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Agree with W2R that getting some night lights is a good thing. I prefer the very low wattage LED ones and they can even be on continuously. One does not need much light at night when waking up and it's best (for me) to not be too awakened by a strong light source.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

tmm99 your issue sounds more like when you're vision deprived. Lights would be a great start so you don't fall.

My old issues were documented in this thread.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ad.php?t=70217
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My approach to this problem is that I have installed 7 motion detecting nightlights that redundantly cover my bedroom, hallway, and bathroom. So, while I can sleep in a pitch black room, if/when I get up at night I am not walking in the dark.

One of the nightlights plugs into a socket, and it is of course the brightest and the best:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s00

The other six are mounted in locations where there just aren't any convenient sockets, and they are powered by 4 AA cells that need to be replaced about once a year:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

Falling is a huge problem for people over 65, and I read that it is the main reason why women over 65 are hospitalized. Not me if I can help it.
Thank you very much for your post. Yeah, I should probably get some lights in the hallway and also even in the bedroom. I can get wobbly at night if I stay up too late and I am overly tired. I will definitely check these links out.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
tmm99 your issue sounds more like when you're vision deprived. Lights would be a great start so you don't fall.

My old issues were documented in this thread.
Dizzy with fluorescent lights - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community
I just read your thread... WOW!! It sounds like you have gone through hell and back! I am so happy for you that you got better - that you stuck with the therapies and they paid off at the end. I imagine sticking with the therapies wasn't easy.

Maybe as some of you say here, my problem may be vision/light related (although I sometimes think it may be something to do with my inner ear) - I actually do get wobbly even during the day if I am very sleepy. It is as if something falls asleep in my brain then even if I am considered technically awake.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I second the advice to see your PCP. Loss of balance is a normal part of aging, but balance PT is very effective. If this is an abrupt change or worse than normal for your age, you may need some additional work up, too.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read the subject line of this thread and thought it was about denial of your asset values. Back to the balance values...er problems...