Kick in the teeth

God bless you both, OP. I'm touched by your devotion and your heartbreak. Don't let your wife feel guilty about getting cancer. Non-smokers can have lung cancer too. No one deserves this disease.

You've received some great advice, from where to turn for professional help for your DW to making sure you give yourself some self-care during this time. I often think it's harder to watch someone you love struggle with a health issue than to go through it yourself.

I'm an 11 year cancer survivor, and am now living with a chronic lung condition that requires me to use supplemental O2. (And no, I've never smoked. There is no "why" when it comes to disease.) Every morning I tell myself, "NSIP is not going to kill me today." No one knows anyone's expiration date. I'm still making plans for the future. I urge you and your DW to do the same. When my mother went through breast cancer 20 years ago, after she was finished with surgery, chemo & radiation and feeling better, we took her and dad to Disney World for a week. It gave her something to look forward to when she was in that dark chemo tunnel. And she's still with us. We're taking my folks to Alaska next May.

You might consider talking with your wife about something special she'd like to do once she's done with treatment. It will at least give you a chance to talk about something positive and reinforce your future together.

In the meantime, you and your DW are in my prayers. Please let us know how you fare. Blessings.

Sad news, especially at this time in your life. Be hopeful. A dear friend had chest pain, went into ER and lung cancer discovered after a biopsy. She did very well with chemo. They did remove part of her lung, but she recovered. She takes long walks and is feeling good. It's hard to stay positive with news like that, but an Oncology nurse once told me, a positive attitude is 95% of successful recovery.

I agree with the recommendations for MD Anderson. A guy I worked with got lung cancer and told it was inoperable and nothing could be done. He went there and they shrunk it with chemo and then did surgery. He is still fine.

I'm so sorry to see this - it's a hard time when you were making your retirement plans.

Although i read the forum occasionally, this is my first post for a long time. DH retired in 2013 (me in 2011) and had a major stroke in 2016. The cognitive and physical challenges affect us every day. 18 months later, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. We've come through that, and are thankful for the time we have together. But it does not look like the retirement we had planned.

Please do take care of yourself. I put myself "on the shelf" for three years, and it's not a healthy thing. I do have a therapist, exercise more than I did, and am working hard to create time in my day to pursue my own interests. Because of DH's brain changes, this has felt threatening to him. One of the things we have done is to continue to travel. It is really hard (and I usually say never again), but I think it is a good thing for both of us.

Praying for your wife and for you.

Thank you for all the positive responses. Radiation 1,2 & 3 were non eventful, 1st chemo was non eventful even 3 days later. I believe we have a great team of doctors who all are very optimistic. DW has has some pain and some nausea from the pain meds but she's off to a good start. I have offered to be there 24/7 and to take her to all of her treatments but she wants her way. I'll be at all of the doctor visits and some more chemo. Radiation treatments take 5 minutes and her mom is good for her. It is terrible timing but we've gotten over the initial shock and focusing on a healthy future.

Coz

BTW....I've promised her a trip to anywhere her heart desires as soon as she's healthy enough and has the desire.

Last edited:
Coz, sorry to hear about the bad news and we are wishing for a great outcome. Great to hear treatment is started and the first sessions went will.

If things get stalled, remember MD Anderson is not too far south of Oklahoma if you want another opinion on treatment.

Nice update Coz.
Remember to look at your sig line from time to time.

Sending my very best to you and your wife. I am a two time cancer survivor and cancer simply sucks. You have received great advice from forum members. Will be keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Stay positive and strong. You have a lot of people on this forum rooting for your wife. Most of all be sure to take care of yourself.

Thank you for all the positive responses. Radiation 1,2 & 3 were non eventful, 1st chemo was non eventful even 3 days later. I believe we have a great team of doctors who all are very optimistic. DW has has some pain and some nausea from the pain meds but she's off to a good start. I have offered to be there 24/7 and to take her to all of her treatments but she wants her way. I'll be at all of the doctor visits and some more chemo. Radiation treatments take 5 minutes and her mom is good for her. It is terrible timing but we've gotten over the initial shock and focusing on a healthy future.

Coz

BTW....I've promised her a trip to anywhere her heart desires as soon as she's healthy enough and has the desire.

Great start! Please continue to take care of yourself so you can be your best self supporting her.

Lots of love and support to you both from a cancer survivor

Just saw this thread. Please know that we are all rooting for you and your wife. Thank you for the update! Will be thinking of you both and sending positive thoughts your way.

Blessings to you and your family as you deal with your DW's illness. A lot of progress has been made over the past several years, so there is a lot to be hopeful about. Do enjoy the time you have together... Since DW's diagnosis we've travelled a lot between treatments & make a point to get together with friends & loved ones more than ever. Every day we both wake up is an excellent day- no matter what. All you can do is he there for her.

She is my world and she knows it.

That is so loving and beautiful. With that kind of love...all things are possible.
I lost my DH to cancer after he was my hero thru my own stage 3 breast cancer. I believe His love saved me. Please take very good care of yourself as well. My heartfelt prayers for good health are with you and your wife.

I am so sorry to hear this news and you and your DW will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I like the way your doctors think.

You guys, start planning your DW's dream trip and keep us posted.

Happy birthday to your wife today and wishing all the best for treatments to go well.

Back
Top Bottom