Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Kick that habit - especially you young dreamers
Old 01-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kick that habit - especially you young dreamers

It has probably been mentioned in previous threads but worth repeating - if you are a smoker, quit. My younger brother turns 56 in a few weeks and has been calculating his pension and SWR rate for ER from the telephone company. I was out visiting him in Chicago this weekend and expected to trade ER lifestyle talk with him. Unfortunately, he was just handed a diagnosis of lung cancer and now his future is up for grabs. He will stay with the job while working through the medical issues (hopefully) and then see where things stand.

My son, and my daughter smoke occasionally as do my brother's kids. I hope this will be a wake-up call for them. I find it amazing how many 20 and 30 somethings think it is cool to smoke cigarettes - what are they smoking
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Kick that habit - especially you young dreamers
Old 01-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Donheff,
that is tragic about your brother. I smoked too as a teen and 20-something --- at that age you just think you're going to live forever so you completely discount the long-term consequences. With luck your kids will quit soon, maybe when they have kids of their own, or when something deep down clicks in and makes them realize its really a dumb thing to do. But it's highly addictive and satisfying to people which is why the keep doing it. Many get away with it, too, but the odds aren't good. I am sorry about your brother, and hope it can be arrested quickly enough to give him a second chance.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #3

I am sorry to hear about your brother, Donheff. That is a hard blow.

I second your admonition to smokers. Please quit. I come from a family of smokers and pray that my own habit, quit long ago, doesn't catch up with me. Lung cancer is really awful. Please quit.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Donheff,
Best wishes for your brother and the rest of your family. My dad and mom both smoked, tried to quit numerous times. Dad died of lung cancer, mom of heart problems, both before I was 20.
Young dreamers: Quit smoking for yourself, for those you love, and for those you'd like to love. (There's nothing sexy about a smoker's breath . . .)
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I am sorry to hear about your brother, Donheff.

My brother is 58, has been smoking since he has been 15 and does not go to doctors. He says he likes to smoke. He is not a dumb person; just addicted to them. His wife and son also smokes. His daughter does not. An uncle of mine died of lung cancer a few years ago. But with all the knowledge out there about the harmfull affects of smoking he continues to smoke.

I have know drug addicts that have said it was easier to give up cocaine or heroin than smoking cigarettes.

I'm expecting a call some day to say that my brother has lung cancer and doesn't have long to live. This may sound cruel; but when I get the call I will not be surprised and all I will be thinkings is ... what did you expect!

So yes anyone reading this should do all they can to stop smoking. Medical studies show that the negative affects of long term smoking can be reversed - to a large degree after stopping.

If you can not stop for yourself do it for those who love you.

If you can not stop at all do not smoke around your children - second hand smoke has negative affects on them.

My brother's wife is extreamly self rightous and she smoked and drank while pregant. I believe it had a detrimental affect on one of the children at least.

I'm sorry for the rant.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's terrible, Donheff. Best of luck to you both, and thanks for sharing the story... if it helps even one person see the light you've done a real service.

Keep us posted, too -- we're rooting for you.

Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear this, Donheff. Lung cancer does not have a good prognosis. I'll leave details to Rich as I understand he's an oncologist.

Your brother became addicted to smoking when it was "cool", although we knew is was bad. As the dangers of second hand smoke become more clear, and more and more countries and cities enact laws against smoking in public places, one hopes that the "cool" factor will decrease as the hassle factor increases. One of the best disincentives would be to radically increase prices. There is really nothing good about smoking.

Here are some recent Canadian data.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media...2005_89_e.html

Does anyone have comparable data for the US?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
Does anyone have comparable data for the US?

Both the US and Canada tax cigs heavily. I wonder if there's any data that suggests smoking would decrease just based on health information....
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #9

donheff. sorry for the news but good post. i also was stupid smoker in my youth. cleaned up my act about 15 years ago. best thing i ever did for myself. one of my good friends just buried her brother who never quit.

i don't mean to be crude and i know this is a tad absurd but for added incentive you should list how much money this is now going to cost your brother as compared to what he spent on cigs.

i'm also amazed by how many kids smoke today. my brother just got back from france and said it is even worse there, way worse. and how odd are the people who won't smoke in their new cars or freshly painted houses but they have no problem putting that smoke into their lungs.

i think if people knew what smoking does to their resale value they'd reconsider.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:29 PM   #10

Here's some practical advice and help for smokers. Apparently the body is pretty smart and knows what it needs. Smoking raises dopamine levels and alleviates depression, which may partially explain the addiction. An antidepressant such as Wellbutin will perform the same trick and may help smokers quit.
http://www.trdrp.org/research/PageGr...?grant_id=2383
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:01 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab

Both the US and Canada tax cigs heavily. I wonder if there's any data that suggests smoking would decrease just based on health information....
That is an interesting chart Wab. I started smoking at the time of the highest peak and quit right about when the graph started its continuing downward trend. The numbers look very good for the US. Absolute consumption has plummeted while population has grown.

I just find it amazing how many kids take it up despite the hassles presented from smoking bans and the general perception that it is a gross habit. One positive effect of the bans seems to be that kids who smoke these days don't smoke as much as we did back in the day. When you can't smoke at work, in restaurants, in bars, or in your friends homes it becomes difficult to develop a full blown habit. My son talks about smoking one or two cigarettes a week - he doesn't even carry them with him. DD says the same.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:30 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I lost my Dad to lung Ca when he was 52 and a younger brother to the same at 53. Dad had quit smoking some years before but worked for a railroad in the midst of steel mills. My brother also worked jobs steeped in carcinogens and smoked. It troubles me when I see so many kids smoking at the university. Ohio voters just passed a smoking ban in public places. Lots of fretting going on in the press by bar owners and the like. Personal freedom is trotted out in the arguments. I always yearned for freedom from ambient smoke and wish we were all free from the huge component of healthcare costs directly attributable to the substantial portion of the burden imposed by tobacco caused maladies.
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I quit 20 years ago when the asthma got so bad that I could not lie down to sleep. It was very very hard to quit.

If you smoke, go to a nicotine substitute. Much better to be addicted to the gum, even if you end up using it forever. In fact, some insurance companies cover the gum or patch even though sold over the counter. I know that our BCBS plan does with a ten dollar copay.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #14

One of my nephews was recently diagnosed with lung small cell cancer. This is a very aggressive form of cancer and usually spreads...He is 32yo. He smoked cigs and some pot in college and quit both after graduating - when you smoke - even short term, you open the door to lung cancer.

I wonder if living in an area like Riverside CA(major smog)is an issue concerning future health problems. I have not seen any papers demonstrating this
Old 01-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #15

Donheff, sorry about your brother.

However, it's worth pointing out that lung cancer is far from being the
main cause of smoking-related death, compared to cardiovascular disease
and other lung diseases.

One truly sick thing about smoking among the young, particularly the
tragically hip, is that they think they are making some sort of big counter-
cultural statement by doing something that is unhealthy and increasingly
looked-down upon by society, when in fact what they're really doing is
supporting some very un-savory corporations, and indirectly, some very
un-savory political actors.

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:10 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Imagine the second-hand smoke potential of a submarine. Now imagine some of the world's most expensive & sensitive computers living in an environment filled with cigarette smoke.

I watched the submarine force go from "So smoky you can hardly see across the control room, or is that a fire?" to "The smoking lamp is secured."

It took nearly 20 years and it was brutal.

The savings, both in healthcare and in equipment condition, have been phenomenal.

And we smell a lot better, too!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

It never occurred to me that smoking would be allowed inside a large can.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #18
Administrator

Old 01-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

My sister said her husband (career navy) said it smelt of farts and dirty socks.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #20

I don't remember Nords ever telling us about this aspect of sub life. Hadn't though about it, but boat life above water has the constant benefit of fresh air. Now I'm thinking submariners are underpaid. Maybe the diesel issue is less today in nuclear-powered subs? Also do subs get rocked around like boat/ships by underwater currents or is it a significantly smoother ride down there? I know a little diesel smell goes a long way in a rough seaway...