Knee Replacements

kramer said:
I hope you don't mind me asking, but what causes these knee problems? Is this genetic caused by arthritis?
In my case that's what the doctor said, although, I think the injuries to the knees from playing basketball, when I was old enough to know better, didn't help. You'd think an old fool in his 40's would know better then to play street basketball with a bunch of 20 somethings. I learned that joints will only bend so far, before severely complaining and punishing you. Spent way too many weeks on crutches as a result of that game. That's been quite awhile ago, but seems like the winters remind me of that lesson learned.
Not sure if I can blame the time staring into the faces of the opposing teams on a football field for my hip, but I do remember that it always seemed to take two of them hitting me from different directions to bring me down, and unfortunately, they learned that lesson far to quickly. I remember limping off the field a number of times as a result of that.
I choose to blame it on bad genes giving me arthritis, but it may be a combination of all of the above.

whitestick said:
I had heard some of that about the hip, but not all of that. Almost sounds like you wouldn't want to do it. Are all of the stories about people being glad that they did it, around knees and not hips?
Dratted hip hurts the worst though, and causes me more pain then the knees do, although they bring in their fare share as well. Darn bad genes anyway.

I actually have a friend who had to have both of his hips replaced at the age of 28 (avascular necrosis of hips - cause unknown). He is doing great! It's the initial rehab that is the toughest time, for both total knees and hips - say the first 6 to 8 weeks. And, interestingly enough, in my experience, more total knees are referred to outpatient physical therapy than total hips. So, perhaps total hip patients recover faster after their inpatient rehab and home therapy, and thus don't need outpt rehab as often? But this is just my experience - of course you'd want to discuss all of this with your orthopedic surgeon.

kramer said:
Do most private health insurances cover physical therapy? I have only scanned potential plans in my health insurance research and I don't recall this being broken out, but I guess I figure it is covered.

Kramer

I would definitely check out your health plan for PT coverage. It's not something you often think about, but when you need it, you sure do realize how important the coverage is. Often you go for PT 2 to 3 times a week for 1 - 2 months or more depending on whatever your rehab needs are. That can add up to a significant amount of $$$$$$$$.

Also, as we age, our need for PT services often increases...something for us all to think about and prepare for when researching health insurance coverage.

whitestick said:
I choose to blame it on bad genes giving me arthritis, but it may be a combination of all of the above.

I think you are spot on with that one!

With health care being the way it seems, it seems to fall on patients to do a lot of homework.. I have no experience with the book (yet; knock on wood).. but I hope it helps.

I'd look upon it as one of Martha's "value" purchases... If it saves you the cost/effort of one doctor's trip or one PT session or gives you even a 2% better result, you're ahead of the game even at full price. ;)

Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom