Knee Scooter

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As I described in another thread, I popped the Achilles tendon in my right leg.

I want to get a knee scooter. As usual, all of the options on Amazon come with more than a few unhappy customers.

Just wondering if any of my fellow posters on this board have a knee scooter to recommend?

DS#2 had a Jones fracture in his foot this spring. We bought him this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Drive-Medi...1536287595&sr=1-5&keywords=drive+knee+scooter

Best ~$125 we ever spent on a medical device. He spent the whole summer on it during his internship two time zones away.

We needed to adjust the brakes after a while, and he wore a flat spot in one of the wheels, but otherwise it worked great. We zip-tied the basket to the handle bar for travel, and he never removed the zip ties.

He even used it to tour Bandelier National Monument. His buddies would carry it while he hopped up the steps and even a ladder or two.

Husband used one after foot surgery a couple years ago. It really enabled him to get around so much easier that it would have been with crutches. (his arm strength isn't what it was years ago when he used crutches after knee surgery)

I don't remember the brand.....we rented it from a hospital medical supply place and then returned it when he was done with it. Of course, he and his buddies discussed and plotted possible modifications to it to make it 'sleeker', 'cooler'........fat tires and all. It wasn't ours to modify, but they enjoyed talking about what they could have done if it had been ours!!!

And when you are using a knee scooter, it's funny how many people you will encounter with stories or comments about when they used one !!

Good luck.

They are the new crutches.

Trouble is when people have bad knees or have had a knee replacement when they cannot put pressure on the knee.

Since her ankle replacement several years ago, my wife has a Kneerover Deluxe we bought (mint condition) used on eBay, very happy with it. She liked it so much she was visibly disappointed when her doctor told her to quit using it. Some of her uninpaired co-workers used to ride up and down the halls on it - WHEE! It even has a bell!

Last edited:
After DW had bunion surgery I bought one off of Amazon for about $150 or so. It worked great and I ended up selling it on CL for about $125. Exact same one as mentioned above by USGrant.

Was at an airpark garage sale this summer and bought a near new full bells & whistles model - think it was about $160 on Amazon - for my sister. She has foot surgery scheduled for next month. Paid $25. Hope she enjoys it as much as I did on the massive parking apron leaving the hangar.

Since her ankle replacement several years ago, my wife has a Kneerover Deluxe we bought (mint condition) used on eBay, very happy with it. She liked it so much she was visibly disappointed when her doctor told her to quit using it. Some of her uninpaired co-workers used to ride up and down the halls on it - WHEE! It even has a bell!
Lol, I always thought you were a women. I need to pay more attention. :facepalm: Gotta love the internet.

Lol, I always thought you were a women. I need to pay more attention. :facepalm: Gotta love the internet.
Maybe you still don’t know?

Last edited:
DS#2 had a Jones fracture in his foot this spring. We bought him this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Drive-Medi...1536287595&sr=1-5&keywords=drive+knee+scooter

Best ~$125 we ever spent on a medical device. He spent the whole summer on it during his internship two time zones away.

We needed to adjust the brakes after a while, and he wore a flat spot in one of the wheels, but otherwise it worked great. We zip-tied the basket to the handle bar for travel, and he never removed the zip ties.

He even used it to tour Bandelier National Monument. His buddies would carry it while he hopped up the steps and even a ladder or two.
I have never used a knee scooter. That said, I have found that Drive Medical (who makes this knee scooter) generally makes high quality, safe, and sturdy devices of many types, several of which I have used and they have been very satisfactory. So this is another vote for the Drive Medical device, even though I have never even seen it, simply because I like Drive Medical.

Husband used one after foot surgery a couple years ago. It really enabled him to get around so much easier that it would have been with crutches. (his arm strength isn't what it was years ago when he used crutches after knee surgery)

I don't remember the brand.....we rented it from a hospital medical supply place and then returned it when he was done with it. Of course, he and his buddies discussed and plotted possible modifications to it to make it 'sleeker', 'cooler'........fat tires and all. It wasn't ours to modify, but they enjoyed talking about what they could have done if it had been ours!!!

And when you are using a knee scooter, it's funny how many people you will encounter with stories or comments about when they used one !!

Good luck.

All terrain Kneerover Deluxe

Attachments

• Deluxe.jpg
    Deluxe.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 8
We bought one on Craig’s list for DS. He used it for 2 months at home and at work. It was about $75 used. Would have been $160 new. The foam pad allows you to stand sideways on it. The brakes can be used while scooting or locked while standing. I know two obstetricians who scooted around making rounds for months with ruptured Achilles’ tendon.

DS used crutches upstairs and the scooter downstairs. He used his hiney on the stairs.

After awhile the foam pad was too firm. He folded a decorative fleece pillow cover for an attractive cushion.

Even new it would have been worth every penny. It will seriously improve your quality of life.

We got the Drive Medical DV8 and then the Vive fake sheepskin cover for seat softness. Worked great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom