Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2019, 02:10 PM   #121
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
install a urinal on the wall next to the toilet.
I've always wished I was that forward thinking. No room now.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think they would disintegrate and fall apart - thus useless as TP.

They can still at least partially be used. Don’t ask how I know [emoji3]
Old 07-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
But honey I was just trying to protect you and your toothbrush from toilet plume! You sit on the lid not the toilet bowl. Also have a night light to assist you.

Why do toilets have lids anyway? Oh yea for company until the first time it gets used!
Keeps the dog from drinking from it.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
My Dad felt it was gross for a man to leave the seat up, in a house where there were girls and a woman. So that is how I was raised, and that is how I feel about it.
That's about how it was where I was raised. Me and Dad were the only males, outvoted by Mom and two sisters.

And frankly, I see it as just another courtesy, as in saying "please" and "thank you" and holding doors for DW. It helps remind her that I think she's special. Because she is.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

7 pages long.... and I keep coming back, too. I think it's time for a dip in the pool.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
7 pages long.... and I keep coming back, too. I think it's time for a dip in the pool.
Watch out for the Baby Ruth bars.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:02 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Grandson was being scolded by the females in the family about leaving the seat up. So, I tried an experiment. I declared that I like both seats down. The seat plus the cover seat. Well, I didn’t press the issue, but the cover seat never gets put down. Apparently the toilet needs to be at the ready to sit on but never ready for standing or just being in it’s fully closed position. .
This is a great point - the seat AND the lid belong down, and BEFORE the flush. Studies have shown significant spraying of tiny droplets of toilet content into the air upon flushing uncovered toilets. Those droplets not only, in part, stay suspended in the air for some time (to be inhaled), but also settle on EVERYTHING in the bathroom. While pee on the toilet seat is certainly unpleasant, it is nowhere near as unsanitary as flushing without the lid on the toilet. Pee is actually sterile - feces and other toilet content are certainly NOT.

At our house, males and females are asked to put the lid down before flushing.
euro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have tried to convince the young wife that the most efficient thing to do is to put the burden of action on the person who stands to lose the most if the action is not taken, which to my mind means she should put the seat down when she needs it. She responded by making sure I have more to lose.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #129

[QUOTE=Walt34;2264716]That's about how it was where I was raised. Me and Dad were the only males, outvoted by Mom and two sisters.

And frankly, I see it as just another courtesy, as in saying "please" and "thank you" and holding doors for DW. It helps remind her that I think she's special. Because she is.[/QUOTE

Very sweet, I am sure you wife appreciates you!
Old 07-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

I read about the hazard of bioaerosols some years ago, but did not take it seriously.

Just now, searched the Web on the subject of the toilet plume, found an article in the American Journal of Infection Control, and it was ghastly. It is a surprise that we are still alive!

The public toilets with high-velocity flush mechanisms are the worse aerosol generators, compared to residential toilets. I am glad that my toilet is in a small closet with its own door inside the bathroom, and 15 ft away from the bathroom sink.

Gah! I will never look at a toilet in the same way.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Physicists probe urination 'splashback' problem
Old 07-10-2019, 07:29 PM   #131
Full time employment: Posting here.

Physicists probe urination 'splashback' problem

Of course, in a domestic bathroom, distance from the toilet is governed chiefly by one variable: "to stand or sit".

"People are always arguing over which is better. Because when you sit close, you're also closer to getting wet," said Prof Truscott.

"In Germany there is a derogatory term 'sitzpinkler' for a man who sits down to pee. It means he's kind of a wuss.

It seems that sitting down is the best surefire way to avoid unwanted splashing in a traditional toilet
Randy Hurd, BYU Splash Lab
"So we wanted to look at whether sitting down is really effective. What are the splash differences?"

To compare the two positions, the scientists gave rulers to their friends and sent them into the toilet.

"It turns out you are five times as far away when you stand up - and that's a pretty significant difference in impact velocity for those droplets of urine," said Mr Hurd.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-24820279

zedd the thread killer - adding value wherever he can
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

I've never heard of bioaerosols until now. I've been flushing with the lid up for 64 years and it ain't kilt me yet.

Probably good for you. The immune system needs exercise.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:03 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

I can't help but think... They say that as we age, we revert back to a child like state.

One of the first things children get really, really excited about is the control of their bodily waste functions.

So, here we are, a bunch of old farts, excited about bodily waste functions.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:54 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
Ah yes, nothing like a bit of bathroom humor.

Attachment 32062
Not sure about that, but this excerpt from Grisham's The Innocent Man "advances" the flatulence discusion, if that is the right word.

Start with "An Indian named Buck Naked..." This refers to a certain prisoner20190616_102049.jpeg
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:54 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I can't help but think... They say that as we age, we revert back to a child like state.

One of the first things children get really, really excited about is the control of their bodily waste functions.

So, here we are, a bunch of old farts, excited about bodily waste functions.
So, not exactly limited to older people. A reddit search on "bodily functions" returned a vast list of threads covering every conceivable human emission. A sample of topics: hacking into other people's BF's, a Japanese poop museum, betrayed by your BF's in public, a toilet documentary...the list goes on!

Of all the bodily functions that could be contagious, be thankful it's a yawn.
r/Showerthoughts

The fact that we can't fully control our own organs and bodily functions is like we don't have admin privileges of our own bodies
r/Showerthoughts

What information about women’s anatomy/bodily functions shocked you the most?

What is the strangest change/thing about your bodily functions that you’ve discovered since getting older?

r/askOuija’s audience can be described as lazy and unintelligent teenage slackers who do nothing but _______ all day and are easily amused by bodily functions and dirty jokes.

Do NOT talk about bodily functions in the workplace no matter how “natural” they are.

Reminder to eat food in order to power yr basic bodily functionsi.redd.it/lwsfbf...

What’s the most inappropriate time you’ve sneezed, coughed, or been effected by some other normal bodily function?
r/AskReddit

You can hold and release bodily functions like sneezes, coughs, tears, and farts. You can also send this function to any person you've made eye contact with in the past week.
r/godtiersuperpowers

You get to gain a super power of choice, but you are required to trade in one bodily function to do so. (Examples: the ability to walk, talk, speak, etc.) What are you choosing, and what are you trading in exchange for your new found powers?
r/AskReddit

What bodily function do you HATE doing, for what reason?
r/AskReddit

What was your most embarrassing moment involving perfectly natural bodily functions?
r/AskReddit

Rupaul when he sees a perfectly normal female bodily functionmedia1.tenor.com/images...
r/rupaulsdragrace

What is the worst time a bodily function betrayed you?
r/AskReddit

I wish the sounds of bodily functions were replaced with the name of that bodily function.
r/TheMonkeysPaw

Since we're all fascinated by bodily functions on this sub - here's a documentary about toilets!youtube.com/watch?...
r/CasualIreland

Which of your bodily functions would you pay someone else to do for you?
r/AskReddit

What is the most useless bodily function on your opinion and why?
r/AskReddit

[World] - Japanese poop museum turns bodily function into a ‘cute’ and fun exhibition for children and adults alike | South China Morning Postscmp.com/news/a...
r/AutoNewspaper

What is the most useless bodily function on your opinion and why?
r/AskReddit

I think taking a monster dump is the most satisfying bodily function.
r/unpopularopinion

You can hack into people’s bodies and can either destroy, add, or alter their bodily functions etc, just like a computer.
r/godtiersuperpowers

She's Crafty: The Breeders' Kelley Deal talks knitting, nudity and Steve Albini's bodily functions [May 2008]riverfronttimes.com/stloui...
Interview
r/thebreeders

The person who coined the term 'everyone is beautiful on the inside' probably never understood how the bodily functions works.
r/Showerthoughts

How much would our lives change if we could control our bodily functions at will?
r/AskReddit

Normal reactions to bodily functions are stupid.
r/unpopularopinion

ELI5: How does stress affect our bodily functions?
Biology
r/explainlikeimfive

[WP] You survived an accident by forcing your heart to keep beating. In order to continue living, you now have to manually trigger your bodily functions.
Writing Prompt
r/WritingPrompts

Three bodily functions at once!
r/pregnant

You have to create a new unique bodily function what is it?
r/AskReddit

If you could never die, it would suck to find out that doesn’t extend to losing limbs or other bodily functions.
r/Showerthoughts

My erect dick changes size during certain bodily functions.
Humour
r/bigdickproblems

You suddenly gain complete control of all your bodily functions. How do you use that to your advantage?
r/AskReddit

You know everything and anything anyone would want to know about, but you have severe Alzheimer’s, causing you to forget about things such as; what your address is, what the names of your close family members are, and forgetting how to preform natural bodily functions like how to use the bathroom.
r/shittysuperpowers

My mom and dad shame me constantly for having bodily functions and a menstrual cycle
[Advice Request]
r/raisedbynarcissists

Bodily functions are weird
r/Showerthoughts

Why are some normal bodily functions, e.g. sneezing or a runny nose, acceptable in public, while others, such as farting or burping, are stigmatized?
r/AskReddit

Elevators are a pact of people unanimously agreeing that will preform no bodily functions, awkward social situations and be on high alert to keep body contact to a minimum.
r/Showerthoughts

What is the worst time a bodily function betrayed you?
r/askweb
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #136

I guess when it comes to natural bodily functions at inappropriate times, this one would float up to the top of bad timing

Loud fart gives away suspect's hiding spot, leads to arrest - Story | FOX 13 Tampa Bay
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:31 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Men should always aim to please and women should sit and stay seated until the performance is over. Problem solved !
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Keep the lid closed when you flush, here's why...

My dad was a service plumber for 40 years. He had stories, a lot of em!

Over those years, he took up 100s of toilets due to stuff being stuck in them, or stuff he was asked to retrieve.

The top 3 things that clogged toilets, as I recall:
  • Toothbrushes
  • Combs/brushes
  • Cosmetics or medical stuff
How does this happen? Easy. People flush, then reach for something next to the commode, and the next thing you know, it is on its way down.

What were the top three things that Dad was asked to retrieve (as I recall):
  • Jewelry
  • False teeth
  • Eyeglasses
Amazingly, the teeth and glasses usually were jammed in the trap in the toilet and retrieved. I went out on jobs with dad and was amazed to see him pull up the toilet, and there were those choppers, staring a you because they were luckily caught by the small outlet collar.

Jewelry was another issue. He got lucky a few times because maybe it fell in near the end of the flush and didn't wash away. Most of the time, it was GONE. Then it becomes a story for the municipal waste guys (sewer guys). And they have even more stories!

Then, there was the "mystery stuff" he got out. Usually on a report of a slow draining toilet. This would be stuff like:
  • Toys, both child and adult
  • Underwear
  • Condom and tampon clogs
The story was always the same: "I have no idea how that got there." Yeah, right. Child toys were a huge problem. Those little rascals love to flush stuff while you are not washing. As for the other stuff, well, nobody knows, because it always just appeared out of nowhere, according to the owners.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The public toilets with high-velocity flush mechanisms are the worse aerosol generators, compared to residential toilets. I am glad that my toilet is in a small closet with its own door inside the bathroom, and 15 ft away from the bathroom sink.

Gah! I will never look at a toilet in the same way.
Yes in public places, the current trend is automatic flushing of a high velocity toilet that has no lid. And we worry about touching the door handle after washing our hands!

Meanwhile everyone that was in the vicinity has a coat of fecal spray deposited on them! At least airplane bathrooms have lids. But if you enter and the lid is up, be careful what you touch.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post

"In Germany there is a derogatory term 'sitzpinkler' for a man who sits down to pee. It means he's kind of a wuss.
A quick search revealed that in Germany, you have the right to stand up and pee. Oye, I am glad I am retired...I am not sure how else I would find the time to do research on such things.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30937492

Quote:
The landlord, who was seeking €1,900 (£1400; $2,200), claimed the marble floor had been damaged by urine.

But the Duesseldorf judge ruled that the man's method was within cultural norms, saying "urinating standing up is still common practice".