Join Early Retirement Today

Leg Cramp while walking..
Old 12-01-2018, 06:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday I am doing my daily walk and I’m 3/4 the way through and I get what I can only describe as a Charlie horse in my right leg. (Muscle in back of leg between knee and ankle) I go from feeling fine to unable to walk. I’d have called the wife to come get me but I knew she was out working on the lawn. Of course 2 metal knees and I think “what now”. I hobble home.

My daughter has one of those rolly bars (like a rolling pin) and I have the Mrs roll the back of my leg. I slept ok but its still sore and walking is a bit uncomfortable. I had her roll it again this morning.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?
Thanks.. RIP
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Dehydrated? Electrolytes are low? Magnesium may be beneficial and there’s a thread on it.
SonofCohoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofCohoes View Post
Dehydrated? Electrolytes are low?

Thanks,
Ive been told i don’t drink enough water.. I’ll make an effort to better hydrate. Here’s hoping.

Edit: Mrs had magnesium pills (unopened bottle) in the house I just took a 500mg pill.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #4

Got a tens unit? They do help. And are pretty cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=1P86HFYGTOXR6
Old 12-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a bicycler. My doctor told me to carry ordinary yellow mustard packets from a fast food store. If I start to cramp, he said to rip one open and eat the mustard. Something about the spicy nature of the mustard interrupts the signals that are telling your muscles to cramp. (Google it!) I tried it this past summer, and, at least for me, it was almost magical. The cramps disappeared!
Old 12-01-2018, 07:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
I am a bicycler. My doctor told me to carry ordinary yellow mustard packets from a fast food store. If I start to cramp, he said to rip one open and eat the mustard. Something about the spicy nature of the mustard interrupts the signals that are telling your muscles to cramp. (Google it!) I tried it this past summer, and, at least for me, it was almost magical. The cramps disappeared!
Mustard packs are routinely given away at most marathons today. See my link on the Magnesium Citrate thread.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:14 AM   #7

I had a cramp like that while jogging once. I wasn't pushing it or anything, just cruising down a small hill. I felt a cramp in my calf, which I tried to stretch and walk out, but the pain didn't pass and I had to turn around and limp home. I guess it was a strained muscle, there was no swelling or redness to indicate something more serious such as a blood clot. This happened within a few weeks of going on a dive vacation, so I was worried I wouldn't be fit for lugging tanks around and swimming.

Took it easy for awhile, no jogging or other leg exercises, did the R.I.C.E. thing, along with some gentle massage and stretching, and was back to normal after a couple weeks. An elastic wrap really helped during recovery.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:22 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to have terrible problems with leg cramps. Adding hydration and potassium made them go away.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #9

Wow, never knew about mustard packs, thanks!

I'll get occasional "charlie horse" cramps in various places. Staying hydrated helps, as does eating a banana a day. A long-lasting cramp can leave the affected muscles sore for quite a while.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:59 AM   #10

More potassium.

I prescribe a banana split for the OP.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
gone traveling

https://www.momsteam.com/muscle-cram...ing-five-myths
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

OP you can supplement potassium and reduce your sodium intake by using nu-salt. It's potassium based, I wouldn't swallow a couple grams at once.[emoji12] Using it is a nice way to up your potassium level.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I used to cramp from time to time on the calf muscle. Now I've noticed sometime on the inner sides of my feet. I think the feet ones are more painful .
Old 12-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Any time I had leg cramps, it was due to dehydration. The key for me is to hydrate before I start any type of exercise or physical activity. I’ve had long runs where both legs cramped up with a few miles to go. For me, hydration at that point doesn’t relieve the cramps for at least a half hour. So it’s good to hydrate before and during activity to avoid cramps, rather than try hydration to reverse the problem after cramping starts.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #15

I take water pills for blood pressure. I get cramps off and on all of the time. I have to manage fluid intake and too much drinking. I agree that trying potassium is something to pursue but it didn't solve my problem. So try different things until it's manageable
Old 12-03-2018, 03:12 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
I am so glad you posted this. months back my cousin was talking about cramps and running for the refrigerator. I couldn't remember if she was eating mustard or drinking pickle juice.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:52 PM   #17

I would see a doctor to confirm it is not a blood clot. That is the most risky thing when it comes to calf pain. They can be sneaky and are not to be messed with as the consequences can be deadly.

Rule that out first, then further diagnostics can be run. There are a whole gamut of things that can cause calf pain. You need it to be properly diagnosed. I hope you are doing ok!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote