Join Early Retirement Today

Lena Has No Health Insurance Until February!
Old 01-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lena Has No Health Insurance Until February!

Because of some snafu at Anthem Blue Cross, Lena's health insurance was cancelled. It may have happened because we got new credit card numbers, but there was no notification. It doesn't seem reasonable that her coverage would go away without them telling us (she's actually had not coverage since Nov 30).

So, my question is: what should we do until Feb 1? Should Lena stay home so that she can't get in a car accident? Is there anyway to get temporary health insurance?

Thanks!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, but it's pricy. Google California Short Term Health Insurance. Or replace California with your state.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Price some "trip insurance" through allianz for a couple mos. Then price for a year. Offers some amount of medical. May have to drive x distance from home before you seek care. In case of illness or injury, road trip?
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Price some "trip insurance" through allianz for a couple mos. Then price for a year. Offers some amount of medical. May have to drive x distance from home before you seek care. In case of illness or injury, road trip?
You sure about this? We’ve had to provide proof of trip booking.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I just talked with someone from HealthForCalifornia.com. We could get a one-month plan for $545 that would cover up to $500K for hospital, etc. $5K deductible.

Advice?

It doesn't seem reasonable Anthem shouldn't take responsibility.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Okay, I signed up for the one-month plan. Nice to be rich.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:08 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
You sure about this? We’ve had to provide proof of trip booking.
I bought an annual plan to cover 2018 and they only asked our ages
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I had a temporary healthcare policy with UHC last Feb thru Apr between the time DW retired and I became eligible for Medicare. It was much less expensive than $545/mo though? But I wouldn't worry about it for one month, now Lena can drive a car and ride a bike this month!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #9

My DMI was an independent real estate broker. She went without health insurance for 10 years, I am not even kidding. When she turned 65 and went on medicare, we realized she had pretty severe symptoms of ovarian cancer and didn't tell anyone. After turning 65, she was diagnosed with 4th stage ovarian cancer and then got treatment. Lived to 72 after multiple chemo treatments. Like skydiving without a parachute.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Because of some snafu at Anthem Blue Cross, Lena's health insurance was cancelled. It may have happened because we got new credit card numbers, but there was no notification. It doesn't seem reasonable that her coverage would go away without them telling us (she's actually had not coverage since Nov 30).

So, my question is: what should we do until Feb 1? Should Lena stay home so that she can't get in a car accident? Is there anyway to get temporary health insurance?

Thanks!
So what was the reason they gave
for no notification when you talked to Anthem on the phone ?. California has a weak department of insurrance, but illegal practice of cancelation without notice is one of those things they do actually enforce.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Okay, I signed up for the one-month plan. Nice to be rich.
It's a safe thing to do before you take her out for a spin in that new Tesla to see how fast it can accelerate.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
So what was the reason they gave
for no notification when you talked to Anthem on the phone ?. California has a weak department of insurrance, but illegal practice of cancelation without notice is one of those things they do actually enforce.
Lena spent an hour on the phone with them, and I'm not sure of the details. Could we fight it? Probably, but I don't want one day to go by without insurance.

There's just no way we got a notification by email or snail mail and didn't notice it.

We'll file a complaint, but I don't want to sue for them to reimburse the $545.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It's a safe thing to do before you take her out for a spin in that new Tesla to see how fast it can accelerate.
Right. Good thing we didn't know that she wasn't covered when we drove to pick it up.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Lena spent an hour on the phone with them, and I'm not sure of the details. Could we fight it? Probably, but I don't want one day to go by without insurance.

There's just no way we got a notification by email or snail mail and didn't notice it.

We'll file a complaint, but I don't want to sue for them to reimburse the $545.
I agree that if there is any question about being able to reconcile the snafu, you did the right thing to get some coverage somehow. Then fight it.

It sure seems like cancelling someone should be hard. I'd research it, your state should help, and now that you have coverage, you can call and be calm about it.

Maybe they didn't get through your call blocker? Maybe you need to set that up to go to voice mail if they don't press "1" to get through to the ringer. Once every couple days you could check and clear it. A little bit of a pain, but should go pretty fast.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

All I have to do is be late a week and the written notice comes. Then another before they shut you down. So 2 written notices at least for Kaiser.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just talked with someone from HealthForCalifornia.com. We could get a one-month plan for $545 that would cover up to $500K for hospital, etc. $5K deductible.

Advice?

It doesn't seem reasonable Anthem shouldn't take responsibility.
Are talking about an ACA policy or a Medigap policy? Either way, you could call the insurance commissioner's office, explain what happened and ask that the policy be reinstated effective December 1 and see what they say. You would have to pay the premiums for December 2019 and January 2020.

If it can be reinstated, then you can cancel the short-term policy.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

How did you actually find out her insurance was cancelled?

In your first post you say maybe it was because your CC numbers changed. Did you give them the new numbers? For someone reading here wondering how on earth this happens it would be good to know the story....

FWIW HI premiums are the one bill we have the insurer pull directly from our checking account. Puts the onus on them, in our minds we eliminate the CC company from the process. A better question is why they didn't give you notice of the failed payment or loss of HI, you can't be the only ones this happens to.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #18

Have you talked to boomer benefits about this?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
How did you actually find out her insurance was cancelled?
Went to RiteAid to get our second Shingrix.

Quote:
In your first post you say maybe it was because your CC numbers changed. Did you give them the new numbers? For someone reading here wondering how on earth this happens it would be good to know the story....
Lena called and gave them the new numbers. I'll be researching it more later.

Quote:
FWIW HI premiums are the one bill we have the insurer pull directly from our checking account. Puts the onus on them, in our minds we eliminate the CC company from the process. A better question is why they didn't give you notice of the failed payment or loss of HI, you can't be the only ones this happens to.
They did tell us of the failed payment, and Lena gave them the new numbers.

I agree about using bank instead of credit card. I think I've done that for almost anything. Lena set the HI payments up.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:38 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Ugh, Al sounds like the perfect storm of things going wrong. I'd be doing some complaining.

How did you get them to reenroll her, were you still inside the window for open enrollment, that's the scary part.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote