Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Let Me make One Thing Perfectly Clear...
Old 09-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Let Me make One Thing Perfectly Clear...

The following does not apply to me.

"We are all routinely covered in fecal organisms," says Michael Bell, associate director for infection control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion.
The germiest places you encounter in your day - WSJ.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
gone traveling

This explains a lot...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I thought it was interesting that keyboards are supposed to be one of the most germ-laden surfaces.

I would have thought that most people don't share their keyboards with very many people. I am more concerned about bacteria and viruses from other people than I am about my own, though maybe that is a mistake.

My grocery store has started providing hand wipes to wipe off shopping carts. Now there's a surface that should have a lot of contamination with microorganisms. I don't use the hand wipes on shopping carts, though probably I should.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
This explains a lot...
Yep...it's nice to know I come by my potty mouth naturally.....
Old 09-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I remember when we used to have a bunch of communal candy dishes at work, with things like M&Ms in them. I read a study about fecal matter on candy in this kind of dish and banned "poopy M&Ms" from the office. There still are candy dishes but the candy is wrapped. And everyone gets a bottle of hand sanitizer on their desk.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I read recently that you should replace your shower head four times a year; apparently every time you take a shower you are spraying germs all over yourself. (This research performed by the Shower Head Makers of America, no doubt.)Julie's Health Club: Dangerous bacteria may lurk in shower heads

So whatever you do, do NOT take a shower in your office while holding a handbag and a bowl of M&Ms.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I read recently that you should replace your shower head four times a year; apparently every time you take a shower you are spraying germs all over yourself. (This research performed by the Shower Head Makers of America, no doubt.)Julie's Health Club: Dangerous bacteria may lurk in shower heads

So whatever you do, do NOT take a shower in your office while holding a handbag and a bowl of M&Ms.
Replace the showerhead 4 times a year? Seriously? Not an inexpensive proposition.

What about assuring the showerhead gets a vinegar bath at least 4 times a year?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How has man managed to live for all these 1000's of years? I guess ignorance may not be bliss, but it sure shortens the worry about list!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
gone traveling

I read an article somewhere (obviously not published by the hand sanitizer manufacturers association) that our society's phobia about avoiding germs, using hand sanitizers, not having contact with sick people, is actually making us less resistant to colds. Apparently the body develops a natural immunity to common germs in everyday contact- when that contact is removed, there is no pre-existing exposure/immunity and people get a lot sicker. What is our medicos take on this?

By way of comparison DW and I haven't had a cold in over ten years- and we both fly nearly every week, exposed to a lot of hacking, sneezing, gagging, passsengers and their germ-coverd luggage- several of our co- workers who don't normally travel ( but presumably use hand sanitizer and avoid the turd-flavored M&M's at the office ) have taken one trip and been down with a doozy of a cold for a week when they get back- sure that they "got it on the plane"
Old 09-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I read an article somewhere (obviously not published by the hand sanitizer manufacturers association) that our society's phobia about avoiding germs, using hand sanitizers, not having contact with sick people, is actually making us less resistant to colds. Apparently the body develops a natural immunity to common germs in everyday contact- when that contact is removed, there is no pre-existing exposure/immunity and people get a lot sicker. What is our medicos take on this?

By way of comparison DW and I haven't had a cold in over ten years- and we both fly nearly every week, exposed to a lot of hacking, sneezing, gagging, passsengers and their germ-coverd luggage- several of our co- workers who don't normally travel ( but presumably use hand sanitizer and avoid the turd-flavored M&M's at the office ) have taken one trip and been down with a doozy of a cold for a week when they get back- sure that they "got it on the plane"
This is the long version of my mother's saying that you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
This is the long version of my mother's saying that you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die.
I wonder how old you have to be to have seen fruits and vegetables sold by the peck?

I ran a produce stand out on the highway from my Grandparents' farm when I was 8 and 9. I sold by the bushel, peck, half peck and also weight measures.

I think the word is gradually passing from use. I don't believe I have heard it in speech for quite a few years, even in the abstract sense of "a peck of trouble". It's pretty country.

Ha
Old 09-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Peter Piper is in big trouble then. Picking a 64 fl. oz. container of peppers just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I wonder how old you have to be to have seen fruits and vegetables sold by the peck?

I ran a produce stand out on the highway from my Grandparents' farm when I was 8 and 9. I sold by the bushel, peck, half peck and also weight measures.

I think the word is gradually passing from use. I don't believe I have heard it in speech for quite a few years, even in the abstract sense of "a peck of trouble". It's pretty country.

Ha
I remember vegetables being sold by the peck in the early 1950's. My mother used bushel baskets for laundry baskets (what? no Rubbermaid? ). Yes, I am older than Methuselah.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I thought it was interesting that keyboards are supposed to be one of the most germ-laden surfaces.

I would have thought that most people don't share their keyboards with very many people. I am more concerned about bacteria and viruses from other people than I am about my own, though maybe that is a mistake.

My grocery store has started providing hand wipes to wipe off shopping carts. Now there's a surface that should have a lot of contamination with microorganisms. I don't use the hand wipes on shopping carts, though probably I should.
I try not to be germaphobic, but I do use the shopping cart handle wipes. I can't imagine a dirtier place than where many different random people put their hands AND where they place baby butts.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Guess what...

Perhaps the dirtiest thing you will ever touch is paper money.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Guess what...

Perhaps the dirtiest thing you will ever touch is paper money.

"Poverty is the soap that protects us from filthy lucre"
~unknown
Old 09-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I remember vegetables being sold by the peck in the early 1950's. My mother used bushel baskets for laundry baskets (what? no Rubbermaid? ). Yes, I am older than Methuselah.
you know what most people would say today? what the heck is a peck?
heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Up to 1:42, a classic example of a real live germophobic from the past.
Warning: There's some skin and grossness after 1:42, so close yer eyes.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Working a few days with a plumber as a helper, would give new perspective to clean freaks.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Well, I've been called a s***head before; I guess this proves them right.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote