“Life Alert” device

Any specifics on the name of the app for the I phone? There’s multiple apps available, which one do you all use?

In 2006 I subscribed to a LifeAlert type system for my dad. It don’t remember the name. There was a choice of pendant or wrist band and he chose the wrist band. With the system you get way more than an app. There is a case that you attach to the refrigerator with a medication and allergy list that you complete. There is a strong key case that you attach somewhere outside near the front door that first responders can open to get to a key.

LifeAlert comes to mind, because they advertise. I’m pretty sure the systems are much better now, with smart phones and all.

Here is one of several review sites.

https://bestcompany.com/medical-ale...em&utm_content=medical-alert-systems-american

Do not go cheap on these systems. My grandmother was on the floor from a stroke for 4 days in 1970. It left her quite debilitated for the next 21 years.

I looked to see if I could add a Apple Watch to my plan but because I have prepaid phone service for a flat fee of 15/month through T-Mobile I can’t. No way I am giving up that deal.

Rather than either/or option, why not a combination of some sort, just in case Mom forgets to charge the battery?

You may not realize it, but the Apple Watch charges very quickly. As in about the time it takes to prepare and eat a meal.

Yes, the newer Series 7 watch added “fast charging.” It makes a big difference.

I can get my daily charge in during my morning shower, etc. when I get up. I wasn’t able to do that with the older watches.

How much you use the watch (i.e. how much you discharge it each day) varies from person to person and that’s part of the equation.

I looked to see if I could add a Apple Watch to my plan but because I have prepaid phone service for a flat fee of 15/month through T-Mobile I can’t. No way I am giving up that deal.

You don't need a plan for the wi-fi version of apple watch, it connects through Bluetooth to your phone. So as long as your phone is not too far away, it is always connected.

If she has internet at home check out the Amazon Show. You can use the "drop in feature" to pop in on her a few times a day to make sure she's doing okay. Add a wyse cam and you should be able to get notifications as she moves around the house. I only paid $59 for my Echo Show last year. I love it, I bought it to use with the Ring doorbell I still have not installed yet since my old video doorbell still works fine. If you add a Ring doorbell that's also more secure for her as she can see who's at the door.

Already asked and answered. See post #20.

I guess I am slow,a watch app ? I still don’t understand how I find the app and set it to detect falls.

In my experience you have to get apps from the App Store, download ‘em and the set em up.

Not "a" watch app, but "the" Watch app.
Look in the app store for an app called "Watch" by Apple.

Attachments

• IMG_189C771134F6-1.jpg
    IMG_189C771134F6-1.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 30
Fox creek, thanks so much for the information.

Ugh, finally figured out that my series 3 watch doesn’t support fall detection. I was hoping to check it out for mom but that’s a no go.

The Amazon echo won’t be enough because it only works at home.

Thanks everyone for all your input, I am still researching.

Here's one more data point.....

My mother had one of those Alert devices she wore around her neck. It was tied into a phone speaker phone device. She fell twice. She was asked via the speaker phone device if she was OK. One time she said NO, and they called the EMTs. The other time she was too far away from the device to respond, so they called the EMTs. Everybody was happy with the device. My mom felt it gave her peace-of-mind which relaxed her and allowed her to live her life without fear of falling while alone.

There were several false alarms where she somehow managed to press the button on the device by accident (It's designed to be easy to press, so accidents happen.) She quickly learned if that happened to go to the room where the speaker phone was and wait for the voice, "Mrs. Chuckanut's mom, are you OK?" Her simple voice OK was enough to prevent summoning the EMTs.

One of my beach walk buddies has the i-watch. She now walks the sidewalk because she has fallen a few times on the beach. (She's 81 and now uses walking sticks as well for our walks.) The watch offered to call 911 each time...

My step mom uses life alert, or did when she had mobility. She's in hospice board and care now so she has a call button on her bed if she needs help.

The suggestion of cameras is good... But consider putting them low - to scan the floor. My son did a project on senior care solutions and that was one of the things suggested - if the camera is aimed across the floor it can see if there is a body lying on the floor, without invading privacy in day to day situations. The idea is that a family member or trusted friend can check a few times a day to make sure the person didn't fall.

I was under the impression that many locals have social services that evaluate folks and assist them in finding solutions to their needs for various devices. Ideally, the person needing protection AND a trusted relative or intermittent care giver or monitor would be present at the evaluation. So, for instance, when mom says "oh, yes, I would always wear that pendant" someone who knows mom isn't as sharp as she thinks she is would be there to say "mom, you know I have to remind you to x,y,z" IOW it needs to be a collaborative effort.

Obviously, the social service would not be selling devices so would not have a vested interest in device choice. I've never looked into this for myself or a loved one, but I'm pretty sure our area has such assistance available. YMMV

I have the Apple Watch and have taken several falls. None serious. The watch screen asks if I’m ok. I’ve always replied ok.

DW has it set up to text her and 911 in case of emergency. I suspect texts go out when the wearer hits SOS. Not sure what happens when there is no response from the wearer after a fall.

Attachments

• 109F2811-9267-4E6E-B2A9-1ED0DE679717.jpeg
    109F2811-9267-4E6E-B2A9-1ED0DE679717.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
I have the Apple Watch and have taken several falls. None serious. The watch screen asks if I’m ok. I’ve always replied ok.

DW has it set up to text her and 911 in case of emergency. I suspect texts go out when the wearer hits SOS. Not sure what happens when there is no response from the wearer after a fall.

Does it false trigger if you are doing something physical like hammering nails or splitting firewood?

Does it false trigger if you are doing something physical like hammering nails or splitting firewood?

More often than I would like, but I consider that a good thing, since it notifies you and gives you plenty of time to tell it you're OK before it calls for help.

Yes, chopping wood, or hitting something with a sledgehammer. Anything that creates a sudden jolt. But like Braumeister said, you have the option and time to shut down an SOS notification. I now take my watch off when I’m doing things that I know will set it off.

The falls I’ve had were minor, yet the watch recognized them. I’m confident that it is sensitive enough to recognize a person that passes out and falls to the ground.

Talked to mom yesterday. She can afford overprotection so I recommended both the life alert or similar and an Apple Watch. She’s mobile and very social. Hates staying home alone, loves gardening in her yard (that’s where her last stroke occurred 20 years ago) and going out with friends.

Although the Amazon device had some appeal I feel it would work best with a more house bound aging person.

Talked to mom yesterday. She can afford overprotection so I recommended both the life alert or similar and an Apple Watch. She’s mobile and very social. Hates staying home alone, loves gardening in her yard (that’s where her last stroke occurred 20 years ago) and going out with friends.

Although the Amazon device had some appeal I feel it would work best with a more house bound aging person.

Just finished reading the thread you started last year on this subject. I’m trying to analyze the decision for my mom now. Looks like you chose a dual option of trying both.

If you don’t mind, I’d love to hear your follow up now that you have actual experience with your mom using the two options.

My mom is in decent health following a recent stroke. She lives alone although my brother is near. She has significant tremors in her hands causing severe shaking that hurts her ability to use her iPhone although she’s reasonably tech savvy. But that gives me pause on the iWatch option.

Are you happy with life alert? Does your mom really wear it 24/7? Do you have a strong box near the door for emergency services to access the house if needed without breaking the door down?

Thanks for anything you can share!

MuirWannabe

You could have her change it to only text her. Then test it, fall down and remain still for 10 minutes and see if it sends out an alert.
I'm thinking if a person falls down and then moves, that it cancels the fall.

It would be interesting to know :cool:

Then she could reset the alerts.

Back
Top Bottom