Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-26-2022, 02:15 PM   #41

One of my beach walk buddies has the i-watch. She now walks the sidewalk because she has fallen a few times on the beach. (She's 81 and now uses walking sticks as well for our walks.) The watch offered to call 911 each time...

My step mom uses life alert, or did when she had mobility. She's in hospice board and care now so she has a call button on her bed if she needs help.

The suggestion of cameras is good... But consider putting them low - to scan the floor. My son did a project on senior care solutions and that was one of the things suggested - if the camera is aimed across the floor it can see if there is a body lying on the floor, without invading privacy in day to day situations. The idea is that a family member or trusted friend can check a few times a day to make sure the person didn't fall.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2022, 04:44 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was under the impression that many locals have social services that evaluate folks and assist them in finding solutions to their needs for various devices. Ideally, the person needing protection AND a trusted relative or intermittent care giver or monitor would be present at the evaluation. So, for instance, when mom says "oh, yes, I would always wear that pendant" someone who knows mom isn't as sharp as she thinks she is would be there to say "mom, you know I have to remind you to x,y,z" IOW it needs to be a collaborative effort.

Obviously, the social service would not be selling devices so would not have a vested interest in device choice. I've never looked into this for myself or a loved one, but I'm pretty sure our area has such assistance available. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:15 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

I have the Apple Watch and have taken several falls. None serious. The watch screen asks if I’m ok. I’ve always replied ok.

DW has it set up to text her and 911 in case of emergency. I suspect texts go out when the wearer hits SOS. Not sure what happens when there is no response from the wearer after a fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 109F2811-9267-4E6E-B2A9-1ED0DE679717.jpeg (1.34 MB, 30 views)
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:44 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I have the Apple Watch and have taken several falls. None serious. The watch screen asks if I’m ok. I’ve always replied ok.

DW has it set up to text her and 911 in case of emergency. I suspect texts go out when the wearer hits SOS. Not sure what happens when there is no response from the wearer after a fall.
Does it false trigger if you are doing something physical like hammering nails or splitting firewood?
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:46 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
Does it false trigger if you are doing something physical like hammering nails or splitting firewood?
More often than I would like, but I consider that a good thing, since it notifies you and gives you plenty of time to tell it you're OK before it calls for help.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:25 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
Yes, chopping wood, or hitting something with a sledgehammer. Anything that creates a sudden jolt. But like Braumeister said, you have the option and time to shut down an SOS notification. I now take my watch off when I’m doing things that I know will set it off.

The falls I’ve had were minor, yet the watch recognized them. I’m confident that it is sensitive enough to recognize a person that passes out and falls to the ground.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:56 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Talked to mom yesterday. She can afford overprotection so I recommended both the life alert or similar and an Apple Watch. She’s mobile and very social. Hates staying home alone, loves gardening in her yard (that’s where her last stroke occurred 20 years ago) and going out with friends.

Although the Amazon device had some appeal I feel it would work best with a more house bound aging person.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:09 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
Talked to mom yesterday. She can afford overprotection so I recommended both the life alert or similar and an Apple Watch. She’s mobile and very social. Hates staying home alone, loves gardening in her yard (that’s where her last stroke occurred 20 years ago) and going out with friends.

Although the Amazon device had some appeal I feel it would work best with a more house bound aging person.

Just finished reading the thread you started last year on this subject. I’m trying to analyze the decision for my mom now. Looks like you chose a dual option of trying both.

If you don’t mind, I’d love to hear your follow up now that you have actual experience with your mom using the two options.

My mom is in decent health following a recent stroke. She lives alone although my brother is near. She has significant tremors in her hands causing severe shaking that hurts her ability to use her iPhone although she’s reasonably tech savvy. But that gives me pause on the iWatch option.

Are you happy with life alert? Does your mom really wear it 24/7? Do you have a strong box near the door for emergency services to access the house if needed without breaking the door down?

Thanks for anything you can share!

MuirWannabe
Old 03-06-2023, 09:47 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

You could have her change it to only text her. Then test it, fall down and remain still for 10 minutes and see if it sends out an alert.
I'm thinking if a person falls down and then moves, that it cancels the fall.

It would be interesting to know

Then she could reset the alerts.