Life Expectancy

I'm 66 and have 20 years left according to that site. It's a crapshoot- people in my family tend to live long lives and my habits are pretty healthy, but Mom died of breast cancer at 85. My financial plan runs to age 90.

My father is 88. He beats me 90% of the times when we play cards.

OMG, I better step up my withdrawal rate. Oh well, at least I get an extra hour tonight when I set my clocks back. At this point, it all counts... :)

Last edited:
14 or so more years as leach on society, collecting social security.

I'm good for another 11+ years. That would put me about where Mom finished. She smoked until they closed the casket. I don't smoke so maybe then I'll get a few more years. ;)

Not drinking the Kool-Aid. Sassing DW will terminate me well ahead of actuarial estimates. :hide:

23+ more years for me. Lots of longevity in my family.
Who knows....

The Social Security Administration says I'll live to be 83, which would be longer than any of my ancestors. But who really knows? Maybe the same Hand of the Gods that makes me so much better looking than other people will also allow me to live longer. It seems only fair.

Last edited:
My grandfather smoked and made it into his 70's. His sister didn't smoke, and she lasted until 104.

At 54, it says I will live to 82.2, but this is averaging all of the smokers/drinkers/obese/hard living folks who miraculously are still alive at my same age.

I have had some health issues, but am active, clean living, and thin, with a wife that would kill me if I die !

I have done the LE tests/calculators and not sure really what accuracy they have. My family on both sides haven't got the best longevity. My mother and father lived the longest of their siblings and parents which was 92 and 87. Their sides all died in their 70's and low 80's.

I don't beleive longevity for me has any relation with how long my parents lived.

I will plan to run out of money at age 80. Based on family history I probably won't even live that long. If I do, quality of life is sure to be very low.

Humility in numbers:

Life expectancy for a male born today.....76
For me, @ age 83 today........................90
For me, when I was born in 1936...........58
For a US male born 150 years before......38

My forever alltime historical hero, Thomas Young.... died at age 56.

https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-1987-06-28-2569915-story.html

apropos of nothing except awe.

But from the article, 'Life expectancy in the America of 1787 is about 38 years for a white male. But this is not as bad as it sounds... most people who survive to 60 will live to see 75.'

And most males who survived to 15 would make it to 70. Perhaps a bit worse for females due to death in childbirth. The main change has been mortality in infancy and childhood which was very high then and is dramatically lower now thanks mainly to improvements in the safety of the water supply and vaccinations against disease that the general public now barely know exist.

I have about 33 more years but in 2040 there will be a major breakthrough in cell therapy and regeneration. I hope to get in the phase II trials in 2042

I am 65, my mom lived to 74-- she smoked. My grandma (her mom) was 94 and my great grandma was 91. I always thought that I would live to 100. (Do I want to now?) I'm doing genealogy and checking on my ancestors ages at death.

My grandfather smoked and made it into his 70's. His sister didn't smoke, and she lasted until 104.

My maternal grandfather smoked cigars and drank bourbon daily his entire adult life and lived well until age 92.

FIL is 92 and living well in spite of being an alcoholic most of his adult life.

In terms of longevity and living well, I wouldn't recommend either of their lifestyle choices. But as is often remarked on this forum, YMMV!

A good friend was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last month and is now in hospice. He will not make it to 60. You never know...

But from the article, 'Life expectancy in the America of 1787 is about 38 years for a white male. But this is not as bad as it sounds... most people who survive to 60 will live to see 75.'

And most males who survived to 15 would make it to 70. Perhaps a bit worse for females due to death in childbirth. The main change has been mortality in infancy and childhood which was very high then and is dramatically lower now thanks mainly to improvements in the safety of the water supply and vaccinations against disease that the general public now barely know exist.
That is my complaint about LE data that talk about LE at birth. They are really just telling you about improvements in child mortality. The more telling figure is LE at age and as the article points out 230 years ago LE at 60 for a male was 75, now it is 83 according to the SS calculator. That is an improvement but not mind blowing. And how many of those 8 years are just extended infirmity supported by modern medical life support?

That is my complaint about LE data that talk about LE at birth. They are really just telling you about improvements in child mortality. The more telling figure is LE at age and as the article points out 230 years ago LE at 60 for a male was 75, now it is 83 according to the SS calculator. That is an improvement but not mind blowing. And how many of those 8 years are just extended infirmity supported by modern medical life support?

Interesting point.
I think the larger change could be the number of folks who are more active in their 60/70's compared to years ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom