Join Early Retirement Today

Line in the sand
Old 02-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Line in the sand

Late in life, I have decided to pay serious attention to my health. I have metabolic syndrome.
I do not want type-2 diabetes.
I do not want 'type-3' diabetes (dementia).
I do not want kidney failure.
I want to delay going to the infernal realm as long as I can.

So far, I have eliminated alcohol [emoji22], sugar and all the carbohydrates I can find. I recently discovered that when a doctor says, you must 'avoid' alcohol, he really means, 'avoid like the plague'. Nada. Zip. [emoji15]

My target is to lose 120 lbs (150, if possible). This will take a looong time. If it works, I will report back. If'n it don't, I might be 'incommunicado' as Jimmy Buffet said. Serious times.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck Ed! Cutting alcohol, sugar and carbs will cut the weight off. And improve your health immensely. Keep us posted with your progress.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...l/art-20044551

Quote:
Pros and cons of moderate alcohol use
Moderate alcohol consumption may provide some health benefits, such as:

Reducing your risk of developing and dying of heart disease
Possibly reducing your risk of ischemic stroke (when the arteries to your brain become narrowed or blocked, causing severely reduced blood flow)
Possibly reducing your risk of diabetes
However, eating a healthy diet and being physically active have much greater health benefits and have been more extensively studied.

Keep in mind that even moderate alcohol use isn't risk-free. For example, even light drinkers (those who have no more than one drink a day) have a tiny, but real, increased risk of some cancers, such as esophageal cancer.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Cutting things out is not the only change that everyone needs to consider with age.

Increasing physical activity is another.

No, we do not "deserve to slow down and take it easy" because we are older. Something may occur to force us to slow down, but until that happens, we need to stay active.

Or get active, if we weren't already.. It is plain that many of the patrons at my gym are only there because some doctor said "Exercise, or expire."
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Look into intermittent fasting. Easiest way I have lost weight ever.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
Administrator

Good luck Ed, those are some ambitious goals but you sound determined enough to make it work.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Walk. Everyday. At least an hour. With someone if you can. That's the best way to start.
timbervest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good on you. I hear exactly what you are saying about the line. I hit one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Look into intermittent fasting. Easiest way I have lost weight ever.
Complete back this. I started to 16:8 (8 hr eating window) and now daily do 18:6. Basically skip breakfast. Generally, eat the same tho certain without evening snacking my caloric intake has dropped.
eroscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If you have fatty liver, then cutting out alcohol completely makes sense to me.

The good thing is a very low carb diet reverses fatty liver very quickly.

And it should prevent type II diabetes.

How was your metabolic syndrome diagnosed? Did you have your fasting insulin measured?

I enjoy red wine on my keto diet. It’s very low carb. I never have more than one serving (5oz), and not every day.

I drank quite a bit more wine on our last European trip, and that did not kick me out of ketosis. But I don’t want that to be a permanent part of my lifestyle.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ed, Good luck and maybe come back and post here on how you are doing. We'll cheer you on.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Good luck, Ed! You may experience "keto flu" the first week or two, but that will pass. I never would have believed that my sugar cravings could be eliminated, but I don't crave it at all.
DH reversed his pre-diabetes diagnosis and lost a ton of weight. I went along for the ride and have lost about 65 pounds and kept it off. Hope you are pleasantly surprised with your results.
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck Ed!

I am constantly on that path, but not nearly as much weight to lose (maybe 25 pounds). That will get me near my old long distance running weight. But the body is now 35 years older and has some metal parts (LOL).

You will be surprised what a positive change your blood work and well being that it will make once the weight is off.

Oh yeah, I gave up booze 10+ years ago. Don't miss it a bit. (maybe I am lucky?)

Also, I have been walking 10,000+ steps per day for nearly 2 years now. The only few days I missed is when I had my hip replacement last November. I missed two days (hospital) and started back up with a walker when I got home and built up to 10K steps in two weeks. Pushed myself pretty hard.

Keep us posted on your journey!
Old 02-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Cutting things out is not the only change that everyone needs to consider with age.

Increasing physical activity is another.

No, we do not "deserve to slow down and take it easy" because we are older. Something may occur to force us to slow down, but until that happens, we need to stay active.

Or get active, if we weren't already.. It is plain that many of the patrons at my gym are only there because some doctor said "Exercise, or expire."
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbervest View Post
Walk. Everyday. At least an hour. With someone if you can. That's the best way to start.
I join others in wishing you success. I strongly agree with these 2 quoted replies that physical activity should be a "required" adjunct to your diet. I would add that the walking should be brisk (within your limits), and not a leisurely stroll. Find a nice park or other scenic area that will make the walk more enjoyable
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Great! You will be rewarded. Back in 2015 I was obese and had tachycardia. My PCP suggested dropping weight, 70 pounds. He thought the tachycardia would disappear along with most of my other health problems. As usual he was right.

Someone on this forum suggested Myfitnesspal and it really helped me, my wife too. The app is great, allows you to scan your food in with barcodes. Of course I quickly learned food with barcodes wasn't what I wanted to eat. I ended up spending $12 on a food scale and just eating real food. No alcohol, sugars or other garbage. Food your great grandmother would recognize.

I wasn't prepared for what happened. My health improved, I started exercising and actually enjoying it! All my ailments went away! I went from 9 prescriptions monthly to 1! I began jogging and experienced a runner's high. [emoji4]

10/10 highly recommend. It took both DW and I to drop 120 combined pounds in 6 months. Once you start dropping it's amazing how much you can lose in a healthy manner. Of course it's not a race, go at your pace. Myfitnesspal has a great website and support system. Good luck to you.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #15

A friend lost over 100 lbs with weight watchers. It stayed off. Hope you find a successful approach too.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I began jogging and experienced a runner's high.
Wow...back when, I used to run 70 miles a week....the only runners hi I ever got was when someone running in the other direction said "Hello".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:03 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Wow...back when, I used to run 70 miles a week....the only runners hi I ever got was when someone running in the other direction said "Hello".
There's nothing like running to melt the pounds off.

As far as runner highs, I don't recall anything significant. But when I was training for a Boston in 1979, I "hit the wall" one time at 21 miles out. Literally ran out of electrolyte. I never did run the Boston though.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:07 PM   #18
gone traveling

I can't really cut back on alcohol, I only have 2-3 drinks a week, I do eat too much sugar, but I am of normal weight, with no family history of diabetes, and pretty active.

I am making a conscious effort to walk, and bike ride more, and also have started paddle boarding with my DW. My 10 acre farm keeps me fairly busy, so no sitting around watching TV.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #19

Good luck, Ed. I need to do a much better job with the exercise.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:33 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Ed, I'm adding in another vote for intermittent fasting. The LCHF eating is largely responsible for our weight loss (60 lbs for DW, 40 lbs for me). But the IF is what has made a huge difference in our health. I was type II diabetic for 15 years, and thanks to IF I no longer have any signs of it. My last A1c was 4.9. DW had the first indications of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, now it's gone. We were losing the weight eating LCHF, but it wasn't until we added in IF that the health indications changed.

You're looking at a big change, so be patient. You'll make progress fast at first, but there will be times when nothing is changing. Stick with it. This isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. And if you fall off the wagon, don't sweat it, just get back on. Good luck. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.