Join Early Retirement Today

Living longer
Old 03-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Living longer

I found in psychology if you want to do something find a person that does it well and copy them.
I live in an area [county side] in the Dominican Republic which there is a lot of 90+ year’s old people. The people I found were all poor and living with family members.
I started interviewing as many as I could first was Rufo Ernadez he just had his 104 birthday and his mind is sharp and clear he has no medical problems no medications. I ask what do you eat for breakfast is two eggs boiled soft center with boiled platano [like banana] or cassava and a large cup of coffee. Lunch little rice meats of all types’ vegetables. Super: chicken or homemade sausage with a little bread vegetables. He enjoys chicharrón [pig skin fried] and his cigar. He has an older brother still living and a younger sister in her late 90sstill living.
Another 100 year old Mamota Pena Matia she has 10 children never been in a hospital on no medication she has been blind for 34 years her mind is a little slow but still able to get around For breakfast it is platano and chicken.. Lunch is platano rice and chicken, diner is tea or a drink made of ground corn, peanuts and chocolate.
One interesting fact that there has not been no doctor or health care professional interviewing these people.
I am still looking for more people in this area.
The conclusion so far is there is no 90+ vegans here and I cannot find a doctor 90+ year old to interview.
I have two more interviews next week with 100+ year olds.
Why reinvent the wheel about living a long healthy life when others have already done it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's either genetic population differences predisposed to longevity, or else we have been lied to about the benefits of diet and modern healthcare.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am heading off to stock up on platanos.
Living longer
Old 03-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #4

Living longer

I'm glad to know I might leave till 100. I did eat some cassava when I was younger. I like tapioca products, but haven't eaten cassava for years.
But egg is wonder food. One of my kids has an egg everyday and she's pretty sharp. Rarely got sick either until college. Not a single ear infection in her younger years, nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Are they still active at that age? How do they spend their time? Wow, I think this is fascinating.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:30 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Eggs, sausage, chicken and chicharrones -- sounds like my preferred diet.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #7

I bet that their level of stress is a lot lower.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #8
Administrator

Well, if we're going to study some old folks and copy their secret, I'm choosing these people
'Whisky and 15 cigarettes a day is the secret of my good health' says Dorothy as she celebrates her 100th birthday (with a glass of her favourite tipple, of course) | Daily Mail Online
100-year-old woman says drink and cigarettes keep her young - Telegraph
110-Year-Old Woman's Secret to Longevity Is ... Miller Lite? - Great Ideas : People.com
They all smoke and drink whiskey and beer, and that's a diet I can follow.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #9

And their food is probably prepared without all of the chemicals and additives our food has.
And I love cracklins!
Old 03-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #10

Unfortunately, they also all have XX chromosomes. That one is both important and a pretty high hurdle for us XYs to overcome!
Old 03-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Unfortunately, they also all have XX chromosomes. That one is both important and a pretty high hurdle for us XYs to overcome!
Never underestimate the power of the internet.
A Beer A Day Keeps Old Age At Bay: 110-Year-Old Man Says Alcohol Is His Secret To A Long Life
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1,000.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #13

TED Talks - What makes a good life? Lessons from the longest study on happiness

https://www.ted.com/talks/robert_wal...ss?language=en

Quote:
Once we had followed our men all the way into their 80s, we wanted to look back at them at midlife and to see if we could predict who was going to grow into a happy, healthy octogenarian and who wasn't. And when we gathered together everything we knew about them at age 50, it wasn't their middle age cholesterol levels that predicted how they were going to grow old. It was how satisfied they were in their relationships.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #14

The poor guy died a few weeks after that was published, as is so common among supercentenarians I've read about. That tells me the secret is really to avoid giving interviews to those young whippersnappers.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I love plantain/plantanos so I'm in.

Is that the same diet the whole family eats, even those who died relatively young? Probably no one eats hydrogenated fats, high fructose corn syrup, and the other villain food of the week in those villages but not everyone lives to 100, do they?