Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Looking for good on-line prescription service
Old 05-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looking for good on-line prescription service

My cat is now on two medications: Norvasc (Amlodipine) for high blood pressure and Prednisone for a liver condition. Naturally, these meds are not covered by our health insurance plan. Since both of these meds are used for people, any pharmacy should accept my vet's prescription. I have never used an on-line pharmacy and would appreciate knowing which ones any of you have found to have good quality, prices and service. Thanks!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Try costco, walmart (ick) and target. You could also try Canadian Pharmacy – Canada Drugs - Get Discount Canadian Prescription Drugs From Canada Pharmacy

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Prednisone is cheap. But Amlodipine is expensive at over two bux a pill everywhere I looked. Check with the vet and ask if there isn't something else available to get the job done instead of Amlodipine.

The savings from using Canadian on-line pharmacies have dwindled, probably due to so many seniors using Medicare part D. But they're still worth checking since sometimes they offer generic versions of drugs not available in the USA. For example, Zyrtec is available as a generic from Canada.

I've used the Canadian provider Brewer gave you (above). In fact I recall I provided that info for him a while back. They seem to do a good job.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
For example, Zyrtec is available as a generic from Canada.
It might interest you to know that Zyrtec is now both OTC and generic in the US. DW bought a 300 pill bottle of the generaic at costco last trip for $17.

- George Orwell

Old 05-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have bought things from www.thrivingpets.com
Don't know how the prices compare, but it is another source...
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
It might interest you to know that Zyrtec is now both OTC and generic in the US. DW bought a 300 pill bottle of the generaic at costco last trip for $17.
Thanks Brew. I didn't know that. So, Zyrtec (Certirizine) went generic. Excellent. I knew Loratadine had, but hadn't heard about Certirizine. That explains why I got an email from CanadaPharmacy.com notifying me they had sharply reduced the price of Certirizine recently. Competition from generic sales in the USA!

It's amazing that they're still trying to get about 30 cents a pill for Zyrtec here. Guess lots of folks must not know about the availability of the generic equivalent. Or are just buffalo'd by the Zyrtec advertising and widely recognized name.

That pretty much was the last thing I was buying from CanadaPharmacy.com.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks Brew. I didn't know that. So, Certirizine went generic. Excellent. I knew Loratadine had, but hadn't heard about Certirizine. That explains why I got an email from CanadaPharmacy.com notifying me they had sharply reduced the price of Certirizine recently.

It's amazing that they're still trying to get about 30 cents a pill for Zyrtec. Guess lots of folks must not know about the availability of the generic equivalent.

That pretty much was the last thing I was buying from CanadaPharmacy.com.
The price difference from a year ago when it was scrip and on patent and now when it is generic and OTC is nothing short of mind boggling. I am generally not one to throw cowpies at the pharma industry, but I cannot help shake my head at the huge disparity. But I guess in the end I am very glad the drug was developed.

- George Orwell

Old 05-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Prednisone is cheap. But Amlodipine is expensive at over two bux a pill everywhere I looked. Check with the vet and ask if there isn't something else available to get the job done instead of Amlodipine.
I checked around and Wal Mart is the cheapest so far (thanks Brewer). I can get the Prednisone for $4 for a month's supply. You are right about the Amlodipine being expensive so it is more problamatic. Wal Mart, again, is the cheapest I have found. They quoted me $34.36 for 30 2.5mg tabs. My cat gets half a pill a day so this works out to about 57 cents a dose. He's a great cat so I'm not complaining.

I checked with my vet about another med for the high blood pressure but she said this is really the best choice. I scanned the Internet and found Amlodipine is the only recommended med for hypertension in cats. Who knows, maybe it will eventually come down in price.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

That sounds like a good price for the Amlodipine. I was looking at the ususal Canadian mail order sites and none were that cheap. Medicare Part D, more drugs becoming generic in the USA, WalMart et al, etc seem to explain why the stories of bus loads of seniors heading to Canada aren't in the press anymore. And, of course, add in the little problem with the exchange rate.......

We're kitty-less right now and will probably stay that way due to traveling plans. But we've loved the ones we've had and understand your dedication to keeping yours going. Hope it all works out.