Looking for some happy suggestions

Kat, I don't well you enough to tease you yet, but I just still must ask about your granny: Before she got the shingles in her 70s, did she have one of those cool tile roofs like in Coral Gables?

Hi Kat,

I have to join in with others. I have a lot of longevity in my family. My Dad passed away at age 96, my Mom's aunts and uncles lived into their 90's and several made it past 100. My Mom is doing really, really well at age 82.

I assumed I would follow their path. Several years ago I had a MRI scheduled because of a hearing loss. I almost cancelled the appt. thinking I've never had anything wrong with me and this would be a waste of time. I decided it wasn't fair to the clinic to cancel the appt. on short notice so I went.

The MRI showed an asymtomic brain aneurysm ticking away behind my left eye. That's when the light blub went off that my parents longetivity did not guarentee my own.

Really, you need to do your annual check ups and go in between when small things pop up.

Best of luck to you.

-helen

PS - I still refuse to go on statins even though my total cholesterol was 311 six months ago.

On other hand, I suggest reading Dr. Nortin M. Hadler's books:

Worried Sick: A Prescription for Health in an Overtreated America

The Last Well Person: How to Stay Well Despite the Health-Care System

And in the same vein:

Should I Be Tested for Cancer?: Maybe Not and Here's Why by Dr. H. Gilbert Welch

Bottom line doctors and the medical system are extremely hazardous to one's health and should be used very sparingly.

P.S. In order to help the odds of being healthy, this website contains useful health podcasts by Dr. Monte Ladner:

fitnessrocks.org

David

Last edited:
If you can't stand being fussed over, find a doc who doesn't do that. I've got one who gives it to me straight, doesn't patronize me, and respects my choices about my body. We're a team.

I agree with this 100%. I would also like to say that as part of the team, the largest part of responsibility falls on you. Not just to go see the doc, but to hear what s/he has to say, and follow up with your own research. Doctors will often put people on meds that aren't optimal for them, or misdiagnose obscure conditions. I'm not knocking them, they are just people too.

So after you talk to them, do your own research. There's an unbelievable amount of information on the web, and only 80% or so of it is wrong. :cool: Seriously, though, I believe the medical experience is give and take, and you should have the final decision. But the more you find you can trust your doc, the better off you are.

Harley

Thanks again for all the perspectives. It's been so useful to me. No one talks about health/medical in my circle of people. Today I began to think about choosing a doctor and had a brief imaginary conversation (two sentences). It will happen. Not sure when, but I'm curious and it's on the table.

Thanks.

Kate

I decided to wait on seeing a doctor. Here's why. I did a 25 mile trek/climb with friends yesterday in the Adirondack High Peaks and was fine. (And I really hate the humidity.)

I also did not have a repeat of the elbow problems moving heavy stuff a couple days ago, and the last time my foot was an issue I saw it coming on and stopped it by not moving, then tested it in a few minutes with no problem. I think it's waning.

What I'm going to do instead is get back into regular hiking, weekly, with precautions for ticks, and see a doctor the next time I have a problem. I don't have to spend any time on internet research of medical issues. I'm going to trust my own body, which I know pretty well. I'm okay if it's a transitory problem of some sort, including being okay with being wrong and "wishing" I had done something. That's the kind of life I live.

In our long hike yesterday, friends and I touched on some good subjects. One guy was talking about his interesting discovery of his family's genealogy. He mentioned his family being wiped out in 1918. I said the same thing happened in my family, with my grandfather being one of three surviving siblings, with eight siblings who died. My grandfather lived to 102.

I'm just going to see what happens next. These seem to be joint or muscular or nerve problems, and I'll find out if there's an issue by long treks in the mountains. Then I'll see a doc with what I found, if I have to.

Thanks again for all the perspectives you shared with me. I could make sense of it with how I live, and I appreciate that!

Kate

P.S. I discovered some things hiking in the mountains the past ten years. I am allergic to poison sumac in a bad way. There are toxins in black flies -- experienced that about six years ago with about 400 bites. There are ticks, and lyme is not the only issue with ticks. But there are benefits to hiking too, and I come out way ahead.

Last edited:
Kate, many of the 'regulars' on the forum have final arrangements set up with our families to let the forum know if we die off suddenly. Given the circumstances, it would be appreciated if you would do the same. :)

All the best,
REW

Kate, many of the 'regulars' on the forum have final arrangements set up with our families to let the forum know if we die off suddenly. Given the circumstances, it would be appreciated if you would do the same. :)

All the best,
REW

I had a good laugh!!

Kate

P.S. REW, I appreciate that we come from different experiences and it's easy for all of us to fill in blanks because it's hard to know all the information.

One thing I did not mention -- did not seem relevant -- is I am keenly sensitive to medicine. I said the women in my family don't like to be fussed over, but a corollary is we have trouble with medicine/pills/over the counter anything.

The very few times in my life I had to take anything, the doc had to cut it waaaaaaaay down or skip it. Once, just once, I had to take Maalox for some reason, and it was the worst experience in my life, rolling all over the floor in terrible pain. I can still hear the doc saying he just assumed I'd cut it back from the dose on the bottle...

So trust me on this REW: the first time in the doc's office, he or she would hear all this and tell me to watch what happens and come back if there's a problem.

FYI, my young nephew is the same way with his asthma. He has a reaction to medicine, so the doc and the hospital worked with my family to find ways to cut back.

I heard the message loud and clear today.
Then just brushed it off and/or ignored it.:confused:
I'm glad I got curious. I'd just like to know what's happening.
They say "curiosity" killed the [-]kat[/-] cat, and therefore you must be taking the added precautions to see that that doesn't happen to you.

I wish you luck with your self-diagnosis & prescribed treatment plan.....I hope it works out, and that in the end you won't want to file a malpractice suit against yourself for misdiagnosis & incorrect or improper treatment. :D

Happy trails!
---------------------------------------

(this ends my posting in this thread)

Calm down.

I did hear it. Had more experiences and decided on a plan.

If you go back and read what I said, I mentioned twice when I'd see a doc: the next time.

I didn't say I was skipping it, didn't especially say I was self-diagnosing anything, and I am still curious.

I'm going to be sure to find a doc who gets that I don't rush in.

Thanks for the good wishes!

Kate

So trust me on this REW: the first time in the doc's office, he or she would hear all this and tell me to watch what happens and come back if there's a problem.
You've spent more time explaining and justifying why you're not going to visit the doctor... than you would have spent visiting the doctor. You're your own worst enemy.

It would seem difficult for your reasoning to evoke further sympathy for your continued avoidance of consulting with someone who could advise & help. If you're not going to give either a doctor or this board's posters a chance to help then you're probably wasting your time here too.

This thread reminds me of the people who really really want to do whatever it takes to get to ER but for the best of reasons just can't seem to get around to doing it.

Geesh. I'm not wasting time or looking for sympathy.... I'm processing it. I came up with a plan.

Have a nice day.

P.S. REW, I appreciate that we come from different experiences and it's easy for all of us to fill in blanks because it's hard to know all the information.

One thing I did not mention -- did not seem relevant -- is I am keenly sensitive to medicine. I said the women in my family don't like to be fussed over, but a corollary is we have trouble with medicine/pills/over the counter anything.

The very few times in my life I had to take anything, the doc had to cut it waaaaaaaay down or skip it. Once, just once, I had to take Maalox for some reason, and it was the worst experience in my life, rolling all over the floor in terrible pain. I can still hear the doc saying he just assumed I'd cut it back from the dose on the bottle...

FYI, my young nephew is the same way with his asthma. He has a reaction to medicine, so the doc and the hospital worked with my family to find ways to cut back.

Kat, it isn't about the elbows necessarily. Heck, you could be like me and just have tennis elbow that flares up on occasion. It is not getting screened for things that can be easily treated. Like HBP. Or high lipids. Or breast tumors.

One of my grandfathers died at age 99. Another at 92. A grandmother also died at 90. My mother died before all of them, at age 39 of a heart attack. My father died at 63 of a heart attack. Family history is a factor, not a guaranty.

Schedule a physical.

Dear kat,
I also have long living females on both my father's and my mothers side.
But I do not live the life they live(d).
Fortunately I do not see docs as often as my husband has to, but when something feels wrong I go. Then it is my responsibility to do my own reserch and to decide to follow their advise or not.
So please see a doc on your issue and also see a gyn regularly.

I made a plan to go/schedule it next time. I'll stick to it.

Thanks for the perspectives!

Just posting an update. I had psyched myself up to go the next time and prepared my info and questions for the doc.

There hasn't been a next time.

I can imagine some people might say see a doc anyway. It does not work that way in my experience. It would be useless without something to address. See, I am healthy, active, a hiker/mountain climber, and smile too much.

But I'll stick to it. If it happens again, I'll make an appointment. You convinced me!

Kate

Yeah, make the appointment. I also didn't see any docs other than the dentist and the employer-required physical until I was 38. Then in the span of four years I had a stomach ulcer, two hernias and knee surgery. I refer to that period as the "40-year overhaul" because I've had no problems since, and my two sisters say that I'm "disgustingly healthy" because they're not.

So things can change.

If it happens again, I'll make an appointment.

This past Saturday, I attended the funeral of a 47-year old cousin who spent her last six hours debating whether she was feeling poorly enough to see a doctor. (I heard but can't repeat the medical terminology but it was a heart attack of some variety.) She was, also, a thin, active person with no warnings of a problem. So, I imagine it was easy to convince herself it "was nothing."

My family, on both sides, is large -- I have about 60 1st cousins. She was one of the (if not THE) youngest to die from a non-accidental cause. So it was quite a shock. At 65, I am in the middle age-wise -- some are in their 80s and in very good health. (Her dad died at 87 and her mother is 85.)

Of course, lightening could strike... or a plane fall out of the sky... or

This past Saturday, I attended the funeral of a 47-year old cousin who spent her last six hours debating whether she was feeling poorly enough to see a doctor. (I heard but can't repeat the medical terminology but it was a heart attack of some variety.) She was, also, a thin, active person with no warnings of a problem. So, I imagine it was easy to convince herself it "was nothing."

My family, on both sides, is large -- I have about 60 1st cousins. She was one of the (if not THE) youngest to die from a non-accidental cause. So it was quite a shock. At 65, I am in the middle age-wise -- some are in their 80s and in very good health. (Her dad died at 87 and her mother is 85.)

Of course, lightening could strike... or a plane fall out of the sky... or

I'm sorry. That's painful.

I am not sick or dying. It's a problem that is striking feet and elbows, and then stops. My best guess is lyme.

But I have had the experience as someone who rarely sees doctors of then seeing doctors who say "don't come back for ten years" ("You're too healthy." That's after all the blood tests, etc., too). I can't seem to ever get across the point that I really, really wouldn't be here but there's something going on.

That's why I want to make an appointment when it's active, so I can really explain it best. That's still my plan. I'll do it!

I don't like visiting doctors either. I'm 52.
About a year ago I was running a high fever. I waited a few days while it went down and then spiked again. I was feeling better and went to work one day. I left in the pm because I was getting the chills again.
The next thing I knew I was in ER. My wife had called when she found me shivering at 10pm in our bed with a very high fever. I don't remember the ambulance or firemen coming.
I had bp of 80/50, heart rate of 180, and a temp of 104.5. I was in septic shock and nearly died. In 3 days I had gone from totally healthy to almost dead. Thank god for the acute care internist who knew what to do. I spent 4 days in ICU and a week in the hospital.

It changes your life when you are dying and you are aware of it. I'll never delay a doctor visit again.

Yeah, make the appointment. Like Walt, I was healthy as a horse...until all of a sudden I had ulcers, then sudden deafness and then tinnitus in one ear, then a nasty case of diverticulitis (requiring hospitalization in this country, although in the US I probably would have been given stronger antibiotics than you can get here). Not as bad as surfdaddy having to stay in the ICU, but I did have to have tubes stuck in both ends, IV for a week, CAT scans of my brain for the tinnitus and abdomen for the diverticulitis. Oh, and I came down with some kind of severe pain in my left wrist that the doc never could figure out even with multiple x-rays, then 6 months later I got the same pain in the right wrist. Both times it was about 10 weeks of babying it so I didn't end up in excruciating pain (the wrong twist and I was literally writhing in pain).

All of this was in a period that spanned just a little more than a year. The good news is that all of these problems except the tinnitus have resolved, I'm exercising again and feeling great. But, I won't put off seeing a doctor again if there is any doubt that my symtoms are any more than a little case of the sniffles.

R

(snip)

I am not sick or dying. It's a problem that is striking feet and elbows, and then stops. My best guess is lyme.

Unless you've got some medical training (and I don't mean first aid/CPR classes at work) your best guess is just that: a guess. According to Wikipedia (admittedly not an authoritative source) there are blood tests for Lyme disease so you may be able to get a diagnosis even if you don't have any symptoms at the time. Untreated Lyme disease doesn't sound like anything to fool around with.

On top of that, if I read your original post correctly, you're long overdue for a general checkup, and at your age a baseline mammogram might not be a bad idea either. Just make the darn appointment and get it over with!

Here's a brief update. I had made a commitment to myself to go get it checked out the next time something happened.

There has not been a next time. Just that weird issue with two swollen elbows, first one, then the other, and pain after. No pain in more than six months. None at all.

I also am not worried about the pain in my feet that I mentioned, severe cramping, which is very occasional. Apparently its common. I remembered after I thought about it that I had noticed once before that my alcohol intake can affect my legs at night, and it occurred to me that could be an influence. So I quit the beer, and it's made a difference.

I know there will come a time when my body will let me down. For now, I seem to still have a good read on it all. Just like my mother and her mother, I just can't see going to a doc unless it's an emergency. My internist even said that to me. "You're too healthy. Look at all those sick people out there...." And I had just gone for a physical. "Don't come back for ten years", she said.

So onward. I still have the same idea to see a doc the next time. I'll go back to the same one. I agree about the ten year plan.

Kate

Back
Top Bottom