Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2017, 12:21 AM   #21

limeyx - my post was more of a whine about not catching a break with my existing healthcare coverage and the associated expenses. It is not intended to discuss to pros/cons of healthcare systems in other countries. Please do not bring irrelevant discussions of healthcare that isn't available to me - that IS bringing in politics and not relevant to the thread.

I say this both as the OP - and as a moderator.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2017, 01:11 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rodi, I wish you the best possible outcome with the upcoming surgery. I'm sure it's stressful going through all of this. Take care and please let us know how you're doing.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:25 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Let's hope that the lesion is benign.
+1 Rodi, wishing you the best on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I would be slightly ahead if I'd done a silver plan. And I've said before... The most important part of the insurance is getting the negotiated rates. A huge savings.
When I looked at total cost, using the spreadsheet Anamorph built, the difference was minimal, and there was no way to make the "right choice" beforehand. The HSA bronze showed lowest total cost across more scenarios than any other, and if I considered tax savings, it was the lowest every time (if I'm remembering correctly).

I recall the years when a fair amount of my income, along with every penny of our savings, went to medical care. Those were challenging times, both emotionally and financially, but (hopefully) they will pass and your 3 for 3 in hitting deductibles will become 3 for 10, and your savings recover.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:43 AM   #24

Looks like Murphy is still alive and well. Sorry for the run of bad luck, and best wishes.
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:57 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My dear mother used to say that as soon as you let them scope or scan you, they'll find all kinds of stuff you never knew about and want to fix it! Good news on the colonoscopy, though. My first one revealed a nasty that had a good chance of becoming cancerous if I hadn't had it removed by now (it was 12 years ago). I WILL get them regularly for the rest of my life!

I've been VERY fortunate since retiring 3 years ago- only a few cases of poison ivy and a cold that wouldn't go away that I wanted checked out before I headed to Central America. Having kids on your plan really adds to the risk, though. I hope you have a better 2018!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:12 AM   #26

My HSA/HD plan is $2600 for the deductible. For the last four years I've hit it! I have an eye condition (retinal) that occasionally goes haywire and requires monthly shots for awhile, each to the tune of $500. Then I broke my foot one year, got big toe arthritis and needed surgery the next, then ongoing PT, etc. The only "good" news is that in those years of meeting the deductible, I've also got in surgeries like one I needed on a tooth, covered by medical, and one to remove a varicose vein--ie. milked my $2600 as much as possible.
In fact, I can't believe it is almost August this year and I've only paid out $400. for medical so far. This may be the year that breaks the streak...knock on wood.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired in March and when I looked into the costs for all the different metal levels, bronze, silver, gold and platinum, in my area, the total maximum possible costs assuming that I hit the deductible were all very close - within a few hundred dollars IIRC.

So, in my case it made no sense to get anything other than a bronze plan. I'll bet a lot of people are in the same boat and just don't realize it. Having a gold or platinum plan may give people a greater feeling of security but the reality is they are paying extra for something that gives them no real benefit and that they may not even need.
NameRedacted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyx View Post
That really sucks. This is why the rest of the world has a proper health care system ...

Really That's news to me.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
limeyx - my post was more of a whine about not catching a break with my existing healthcare coverage and the associated expenses. It is not intended to discuss to pros/cons of healthcare systems in other countries. Please do not bring irrelevant discussions of healthcare that isn't available to me - that IS bringing in politics and not relevant to the thread.

I say this both as the OP - and as a moderator.
rodi, I'd be whining too in your situation. Health issues are bad enough without having to figure out how to budget for them.

It goes without saying that we are all hoping for the best outcome for your endoscopy, biopsy, and possible surgery. I am glad to read in your initial post that it is probably not a life threatening condition and I am hoping that your procedures and recovery will be smooth and painless (other than the often inevitable pain in the bank accounts). Keep us updated and hopefully this will all be behind you soon.

And to those who would turn the thread political if given half a chance, don't think it hasn't been noted. Pretty disgusting when one of our members and moderators is going through something like this.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #30

Rodi, hope all goes well with you ! Please keep us posted.

I too budget for the OOP max. You just never know. I figure I can find ways to spend the leftovers if we don't hit the max.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear of medical issues.

If you are max out of pocket, take advantage and do the "extras" like eye exams for everyone for free.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #32

Rodi,
Best of luck on your follow-up exam. Nice that you've budgeted to cover Out of Pocket max, but you also have the security of knowing that if cash flow is an issue - THIS IS WHY you have an HSA. (In addition to the part about a great way to save tax free)

Rita
Old 07-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #33

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone.

As I said - this is not something I'm worried about as far as major health issues from what I'm reading on the google... But something that will likely need "taking care of" via surgery... Or maybe not... who knows... I'll cross that bridge when it comes... I'm just REALLY grateful that the issue is in the endoscopic end rather than the colonoscopy end... My only prep for the endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) is to not eat after midnight the night before... I *hate* colonoscopy prep....
Old 07-28-2017, 05:47 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Wishing you and your family good health, Rodi.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:38 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Hi rodi, good luck. I guess if you do need surgery, make sure to get it this year. Right? Do you think the decision can be made to do so?

Last year was my first year to reach OOP max for in-network charges. It was due to surgery and all the protocol before surgery (for back issues). In 10 years on an HD plan, this was my first year I lost the lottery. In November I piled on a few things such as a skin cancer check up once I reached max. My cow*rker gave me that idea.

As for colonoscopy, I almost feel like I'm a pro. I have follow ups due to aggressive polyps. My first symptom was low iron, so good to have that checked. I had another one this year, 3 years after the last, and the plan paid everything. My cost was zero! I guess they coded it as a "required follow up" or something. You said yours was out of the protocol. Bummer.

I now look at colonoscopy prep as a "challenge." It keeps my mind off the process to treat it like this. I want to come in with the cleanest colon ever. My doc so far has been pleased.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I now look at colonoscopy prep as a "challenge." It keeps my mind off the process to treat it like this. I want to come in with the cleanest colon ever. My doc so far has been pleased.
I have the same goal... and have gotten complements... I guess some people don't take on the challenge... that must stink (literally) for the medical staff.