Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

LP(a) - A better way to measure CV risk?
Old 09-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

LP(a) - A better way to measure CV risk?

On a whim, I ordered an "LP little a" test from LEF. I think it was $39.

I don't have the results yet... just had the draw yesterday, but I wondered if there are any fans/detractors of this test, and why you take that position.

There was a long, technical netcast that I attempted to listen to, but most of it went over my head (Peter Attia "The Drive"). For a while I thought the test could really tell you something, then I thought maybe it wasn't as helpful as the particle number.

It was done at LabCorp and I suspect that it's the variation of the test that's not as helpful...the LP(a)-mass, but I'll probably need to call LabCorp to find out because it wasn't obvious on the sample report I looked at.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is very confusing, IMHO.

I am one of those weird people with somewhat high LDL and total cholesterol levels, but also a very low Trig/HDL ratio. From what I have read this ratio is a much better indicator of CVD than total cholesterol and LDL. But high LDL is also a bad sign. So, some bad signs and some good signs.

Go figure.

For the body hackers in the group:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2664115/

Quote:
CONCLUSION

Nearly all routinely assessed lipid variables were associated with the extent of coronary disease, but only the ratio of triglycerides to HDL-cholesterol or to HDL-c were robustly associated with disease extent. Elevation in the ratio of TG to HDL-c was the single most powerful predictor of extensive coronary heart disease among all the lipid variables examined.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #3

We're similar in that we've got lots of HDL. My ratio is typically in the 0.5 to 0.7 range. Too many doctors just look at an elevated calculated LDL-C and break out the prescription pad. If I'm going full guns on low carb eating, my ratio goes to 1.5 or something, but I don't really do ultra low carb any more. Instead, I just keep away from the high glycemic index foods (highly refined white stuff), and that seems to be enough.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My first exposure to LP(a) was through this blog post (linked to in an earlier thread). While the drive podcast goes into more detail this gives a nice outline.

Quote:
If you have had a heart attack at an early age or one of your parents did but your standard risk factors for coronary heart disease are normal you should consider getting tested for Lipoprotein(a) or Lp(a).

Quote:
It is the strongest single inherited (monogenetic) risk factor for the early development of coronary artery disease, heart attacks and strokes.
In addition to increasing risk of atherosclerosis, high Lp(a) is strongly associated with the development of calcific aortic valve disease which can result in narrowing of the aortic valve and aortic stenosis.
Depending on the cut-off used up to one in five individuals may have elevated Lp(a)
Levels of Lp(a) can be measured with a simple blood test that should cost no more than 50 to 100$. This is not included in standard lipid or cholesterol testing.
Risk for heart attack starts to rise with levels above 30 mg/dl and Canadian guidelines from 2016 (see here)) consider >30 mg/dl to be a risk factor and they recommend measuring Lp(a) in those with a family history of premature CAD or those at intermediate risk.
The European Atherosclerosis Society (EAS, 2010), suggested levels of <50 mg/dl as optimal. The EAS advised measuring Lp(a) once in all patients with premature CVD.

https://theskepticalcardiologist.com...t-attack-risk/
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
We're similar in that we've got lots of HDL. My ratio is typically in the 0.5 to 0.7 range. Too many doctors just look at an elevated calculated LDL-C and break out the prescription pad. If I'm going full guns on low carb eating, my ratio goes to 1.5 or something, but I don't really do ultra low carb any more.
Is there a reason for this, other than taste preference?

Ha
Old 09-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #6

While all of the various Lipid blood tests will more or less tell you if your "at risk", the only way to know if you have heart disease is to have a test that actually looks at your arteries such as a CT Scan. A local hospital's heart clinic had a special for only $399, and I decided "why not?". Yup, 40% blockage of the LAD. It was a quick, simple test and now I know. I've had other tests since then to further confirm. I also have had a Carotid Doppler done which showed blockage in my neck arteries.

At this point, I'm working on keeping things from getting worse.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
If I'm going full guns on low carb eating, my ratio goes to 1.5 or something, but I don't really do ultra low carb any more. Instead, I just keep away from the high glycemic index foods (highly refined white stuff), and that seems to be enough.
I discovered after recording mood for awhile that on days when I went above 20g carbs, the next day my mood was brighter. This was after a few years of 20g. Now I've loosened up, like with the purse strings. For me that just means a greater variety and quantity of vegetables. We'll see what the bloodwork says this year.

My old primary care retired and I will have a new one for the annual. Old one didn't care about the high HDL since LDL was OK. For all I know the new one will think everybody should be eating the Standard American Diet and I should be on statins.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Is there a reason for this, other than taste preference?
Before, I was eating "the most important meal of the day"* (breakfast), and lunch and dinner. All those eating opportunities made it easy to put on a pound or two, even doing low carb. Once I switched to a snack and one meal, the pounds didn't show up, even though I added many more grams of (healthy) carbs.

Oh, and now I can have a beer!

* Not sure there's any real science behind that accepted premise.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Before, I was eating "the most important meal of the day"* (breakfast), and lunch and dinner. All those eating opportunities made it easy to put on a pound or two, even doing low carb. Once I switched to a snack and one meal, the pounds didn't show up, even though I added many more grams of (healthy) carbs.

Oh, and now I can have a beer!

* Not sure there's any real science behind that accepted premise.

There is (or maybe was) science on breakfast.... but FWIR it was based on kids and school... not sure if adults were in the mix...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #10

The tricky thing about an elevated LP(a) reading is that 'healthful' tweaks to diet/exercise appear to have no positive effect on outcomes.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #11

Quote:
My ratio is typically in the 0.5 to 0.7 range.

If your Triglyceride/HDL ratio is in this range, your odds of having a heart attack within the next decade are very, very low, based on everything I've read. Anyone with a Trig/HDL ratio under 2.0 is in pretty good shape.......less than 1.0 and you are in great shape. So if I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I would be curious, though, how your Lp(a) test results come back, if you don't mind sharing them with us. My guess, based on your very good Trig/HDL ratio, is that it will come back showing you have mostly the big, fluffy LDL particles (which are harmless), and very few of the small, dense LDL particles (which is the ones that cause the damage).
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Anyone with a Trig/HDL ratio under 2.0 is in pretty good shape.......less than 1.0 and you are in great shape.
All my reading over the years has pointed out three ratios that seem to be indicative of potential CVD:

Total cholesterol/HDL (you want it to be under 5)

Trig/HDL (you want it to be under 3)

LDL/HDL (you want it to be under 4.5)

And as you say, the better the ratios the less you need to worry.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I just ran some numbers through this calculator:
ACC/AHA ASCVD Risk Calculator

These are not my actual numbers, just a set of what I consider pretty darn good numbers. I wanted to see how low my cholesterol and BP had to be, and how good my health had to be to avoid taking a statin.

age 67
male
none African American
Total Col - 160
HDL - 80
Blood Press 105/60
non smoker
no diabetes
no BP treatment

The results:
Quote:
On the basis of your age and calculated risk for heart disease or stroke over 7.5%, the ACC/AHA guidelines suggest you should be on a moderate to high intensity statin.
I had to get Total Cholesterol down to 148 to just barely drop into the no-drug range. Is that really possible for most people in their 60's and above?

I guess I am a bit amazed that a person with very good BP, total chol 40 points under the limit of 200, HDL of 80, no bad health habits still needs a drug.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:28 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Yeah - it sucks. If you are a certain age range and male, you are pretty much guaranteed to fall into that "high risk" group.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #15

I used to use various calculators like that. One day I punched in all numbers. In order to lower my risk appreciably my HDL need to be 100 and my LDL needed to be close to zero. Not medically possible nor feasible.

Then I just kept increasing my age and it kept telling me every year I needed higher and higher doses of statins no matter what my numbers were. My risk could never be lowered enough to be considered healthy. Don't tell me it's not a plot.

This whole mishigahss belongs in a business class, the one on "Bunko and Other Passive Income Techniques", not in the world of medicine.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:02 PM   #16

I put my numbers in and was told I don't need a statin or aspirin. Only problem is, I'm taking both. I assume my statin is the reason my numbers are good. Don't know for sure. At any rate, I have CAD and disease of the carotid arteries, so I'll continue on my statin.

My HDL and BP aren't as good what you put in, but I'm a little younger and have slightly better cholesterol (likely due to the Statin).
Old 09-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I just ran some numbers through this calculator:
ACC/AHA ASCVD Risk Calculator

These are not my actual numbers, just a set of what I consider pretty darn good numbers. I wanted to see how low my cholesterol and BP had to be, and how good my health had to be to avoid taking a statin.

age 67
male
none African American
Total Col - 160
HDL - 80
Blood Press 105/60
non smoker
no diabetes
no BP treatment

The results:

I had to get Total Cholesterol down to 148 to just barely drop into the no-drug range. Is that really possible for most people in their 60's and above?

I guess I am a bit amazed that a person with very good BP, total chol 40 points under the limit of 200, HDL of 80, no bad health habits still needs a drug.
When I plugged in these numbers, I get the "no need for statin" result.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #18

age 65
male
none African American
Total Col - 144
HDL - 43
Blood Press 124/60
non smoker
no diabetes
no BP treatment

Calc says I need med-high statin.
Doc said everything was fine.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #19

High HDL appears to give a pass for statin recommendation (CVD risk over next 10 years 6.1%) -
Age - 63
Male
Tot Col -192
HDL -98
BP - 119/78
Non smoker
No DM
No meds
Old 09-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

age 74