Magnesium Citrate

mamadogmamacat

Full time employment: Posting here.
Curious as to the experience of anyone taking magnesium regularly, and in what type/form.

I started with some generic CVS 400 mg tablets about 4 yrs ago, in the hopes it would help with leg cramps, which I used to get quite often, especially at night during sleep, causing me to wake and have to get up, stretch and walk it off. These were quite painful. Well it worked quite well and started working within only 10 days.

i never paid much attention to the form or type. tablets were large but I have no trouble with swallowing large tabs. Everything available in stores here is magnesium oxide, which research claims is not as effective as other types, with the most common recommendation being magnesium citrate. Every once in a while now I do get very mild cramps which I can stretch out without having to get up most of the time, but it still awakens me, and i do not sleep well anymore to begin with, so would like to stop the problem altogether.

Just this week I did finally find some magnesium citrate, but in powder form, with two teaspoons providing 350 mg. Doesn't taste too bad dissolved in water, tolerable anyway. may add it to my kefir/organic blueberry concoction instead, if I decide to keep taking it. Only one dose so far, so will see what if any side effects there may be. Had no side effects at all with the magnesium oxide tablets.

I take one large Mg pill (500mg, oxide) 3 days a week with my morning OJ. Have been doin this for about 5 months.
Significant reduction in leg cramps. Not down to zero, but 90% fewer.
Cheapest version I could find. Current bottle (sundown brand) from Walmart.
This was a big deal for me as I hate taking drugs. This is my first one on a chronic basis.

Last edited:
My doctor recommended it for me a number of years ago. I take two of the large Magnesium Citrate pills/day: I use NOW brand in huge bottle ordered on amazon. I don't have any problems swallowing them.

I wouldn't be without it.

I believe magnesium, to be absorbed/used by us humans, needs citric acid, hence the citrate. If taken as magnesium oxide, one must drink some orange juice or similar beverage. Taking electrolytes does help with leg cramps as I used to take them myself. In fact, the source of sulfites in wine is usually potassium metabisulfate, or sodium metabisulfite, both electrolytes.

However, I haven't the need to take them in over 3 years after this change in thinking about cramps. According to them, cramps are a nerve issue requiring stimulation, not a muscle problem requiring electrolytes. Oddly, taking certain electrolytes such as pickle juice, or mustard stimulate nerves, hence the cramps stopped, but for the wrong reason. The ingestion of spicier food is the key, according to the Nobel winning doctor who made the correlation.

https://medium.com/s/the-nuance/everything-you-know-about-muscle-cramps-is-wrong-59614efccbaf

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/the-real-cause-of-muscle-cramps/

Last edited:
I take 250 mg/day in pill form. It eases leg cramps significantly. I tried higher doses a few years back either 500 mg or 600 mg (can't remember) and got gastro-intestinal distress.

I believe magnesium, to be absorbed/used by us humans, needs citric acid, hence the citrate.

Any chelated form is useful, so just look for the second word to end in -ate. Magnesium citrate is probably the one you see most, but other available forms are aspartate, citrimate, glycinate, etc.

I took some for a week and had headsplitting headaches every afternoon for a week. Stopped taking, stopped hurting.

I take oxide and citrate everyday. No leg cramps, helps with sleep and some other benefits I won’t get into here......

I take Natural Calm, the powdered form, a couple times a week.

Magnesium Citrate is a fairly strong laxative, be careful with the dosage. :)

Magnesium Citrate is a fairly strong laxative, be careful with the dosage. :)

I started with Vitacost's "Natural Tranquility" (https://www.amazon.com/Vitacost-Nat...543693051&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+tranquility) but found I was quite sensitive to the laxative effects... no matter how small the dose.

I found using Magnesium Lotion (https://www.amazon.com/d/Magnesium-...&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=magnesium+lotion&psc=1) worked for me. The muscle cramps and twitches disappeared.

If you want to try making your own lotion, watch this video (there are others) --
-- using Magnesium Chloride Flakes and Unrefined Shea Butter.

I take Natural Calm, the powdered form, a couple times a week.

Just started this ~2 weeks ago myself, after I developed pretty severe leg cramps that last all day / night long. I "think" the cramps are from magnesium depletion, which in turn was caused by PPI (Prilosec) for GI discomfort. Have discontinued the Prilosec and seeing if the Natural Calm does anything to help.

So far doing 1 tsp / day. Recommended dosage is 2 tsp/day, which IIRC is something like 385 mg. It DEFINITELY affects your bowels (at least it has for me..that's why I'm still working up to the 2 tsp levels).

Suggest not taking it right before bed. Did that a couple of times (1/2 tsp) and woke up with some stomach discomfort - presumably because I laid down shortly after drinking it.

Stuff's expensive. $24/canister at Kroger.

I started with Vitacost's "Natural Tranquility" (https://www.amazon.com/Vitacost-Nat...543693051&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+tranquility) but found I was quite sensitive to the laxative effects... no matter how small the dose.

I found using Magnesium Lotion (https://www.amazon.com/d/Magnesium-...&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=magnesium+lotion&psc=1) worked for me. The muscle cramps and twitches disappeared.

If you want to try making your own lotion, watch this video (there are others) --
-- using Magnesium Chloride Flakes and Unrefined Shea Butter.

Interesting. If you don't mind baths, soaking in epsom salt can help too.

Never had any gastro issues at all with magnesium oxide tablets which as I said I have been taking for 4 yrs at 400 mg per day. i also always take it at bedtime as it also has a slight sedative effect or for me at least it does.

So far the citrate type in powder form at 2 tsps (350 mg) has also not had any gastro issues and if anything its sedative effect is greater which for me is a good thing.

I used to buy NOW brand products but had some quality issues with other supplements from them so no longer buy that brand. After I finished the 90 days of CVS brand mag oxide tabs mentioned in my first post, i switched to Walmart's brand and found them to be just as effective in relieving legs cramps as CVS only cheaper by about 1/3. The powder from I just started of mag citrate was also found at Walmart, and interestingly it is imported from Israel rather than China as most other Walmart products are.

I guess time will tell if I develop any issues with this new to me form and type. Sounds like forum experience is all over the map.

Anyone tried "slow mag"? A long while ago when one of my many ladies* had cramps, I researched it and thought this might help.

But another one of the things that I learned was that you can absorb quite a bit through the skin, so the lotion idea, above, seems like a better idea than subjecting the gut to the onslaught.

Didn't research, but can you just have an epsom salt bath and pick up mag?

* wife and 2 daughters

I've read that loading up on magnesium can imbalance other minerals, especially calcium. When I take Mg I also take Ca.

Yeah, I heard that too...Ca and Mg together is best.

As Braumeister stated, any magnesium compound ending in "-ate" should be more easily absorbed than magnesium oxide. I have taken both magnesium citrate and magnesium glycinate, around 250 mg. daily. No leg cramps, and no gastro or other issues. A lot of people are apparently deficient in magnesium, so you want to make sure you have enough. Here is an article on some of the things magnesium does in the body:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/

Last edited:
I take magnesium malate, although I have tried the chloride, sulfate (epsom salt), citrate, and glycinate forms. The glycinate and malate forms seem to cause the least intestinal distress. Based on what I've read, these also have the highest absorption in the intestines. Magnesium oxide has the lowest absorption - as low as 4% in one study. The rate of absorption is partially dependent on need; you'll absorb more when you're deficient.

I take 640mg daily for leg cramps, split in 4 doses (morning, lunch, supper, bedtime). I buy the powder in bulk, which is less expensive. I would like to take less, but probably need to maintain this dose until I resolve my thyroid issues.

Mag malate minus b from Jigsaw health. I follow the Root Cause Protocol which is based on medical research.

If you take magnesium, you will need to balance potassium and sodium. And then calcium/vitamin d will balance on their own.

I also take boron to move the magnesium into the cells. Boron will also decalcify joints too. Theres lots of good reading and scientific back up for those who are interested.

Here's the basics on boron

Interesting thread. I have had a chronic esophagus stricture over the last 30 years. In the last year or so, I've been taking a PPI and it really seems to be helping with no noticeable side effects. So I thought I had the miracle cure.

Now I'm looking into the long term side effects, and find that magnesium deficiency is one of them.

Interesting thread. I have had a chronic esophagus stricture over the last 30 years. In the last year or so, I've been taking a PPI and it really seems to be helping with no noticeable side effects. So I thought I had the miracle cure.

Now I'm looking into the long term side effects, and find that magnesium deficiency is one of them.

How are your legs? I did a PPI (Prilosec) for ~3 months and can barely walk. Feel like I'm 80. Been off it for ~3 weeks and feeling a LOT better, especially after taking 1 tsp CALM per day.

How are your legs? I did a PPI (Prilosec) for ~3 months and can barely walk. Feel like I'm 80. Been off it for ~3 weeks and feeling a LOT better, especially after taking 1 tsp CALM per day.
I had random calf cramps long before I started taking the PPI. I don't think they have gotten any worse. If they start acting up more, I will certainly look at magnesium - one of the reasons I was interested in the thread.

I take pantopraozole.

Back
Top Bottom