Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Mailed docs 3 weeks ago, still no response from Health and Human Services, ACA
Old 03-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mailed docs 3 weeks ago, still no response from Health and Human Services, ACA

Hi, Healthcare.gov asked me to provide proof of income for 2015, to maintain subsidies and cost sharing, for ACA insurance. I was rereading a thread about this and saw that some people sent their documents in, never heard anything back, and had no problems with their coverage. So maybe I am OK. I mailed my documents to the Health and Human Services address in London, Kentucky, on Feb 5, 2015. I haven't received anything from them since, except another form letter Feb 8, asking for the same proof. Apparently there is no phone number at which to call the mail center. I wonder if calling the regular ACA 800 number will do any good or just make things worse. I guess I could scan the docs and upload them to the HC.gov website, but then I'd have 2 places making possibly different decisions. My deadline for getting the docs in is March 8, 2015. Suggestions, experiences welcome! Thanks.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm still waiting from my January letter. I did call the 800 number after another smail. They knew nothing suggested logging on every week to healthcare.gov. I did once found 9 eligibility notices from last year. No way to make them go away, downloaded multiple times hit a X to close it. Logged off and back on, still there. I have used my insurance twice so I guess it's working. Good luck.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #3

I uploaded mine and got a confirmation letter from them about a week later. It came from the same KY address so it probably doesn't make any difference which one you use, although I seem to recall reading the upload process was faster for verification.

Also check your account at HC.gov. I don't recall the details but I think there was a verify button on the application when I logged on that was for verifying income, it went away when I uploaded and was verified

https://www.healthcare.gov/help/how-...oad-documents/
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll call the 800 number eventually just so they have a record of me saying I mailed in the docs on time.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Uploaded mine Feb 3, and have had similar concerns with old applications that won't go away when "X"-ing them to delete, no confirmation, etc. So I called last week and the rep was able to verify that yes, I had updated income info - and was very apologetic about not getting any response and being unable to delete old notices. I was specific asking if there was anything else I needed to do regarding 2015 income verification and she said no, nothing further was needed. I wasn't real confident in that answer, but when logging in the status of my account is now shown as "complete", so I'm just going to leave it be and consider it finished business.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I logged on last night and noticed my application is marked complete too(not sure what it said prior). I guess they'll send me a letter someday. Deleted a duplicate 1095, and multiple verification notices. Not sure if they'll come back.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:12 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I uploaded my docs to the website a couple of weeks ago and immediately got a "status complete" status on the website, then got another "nag" letter in the mail (probably a time lag issue though). I don't think I will do anything else, besides cross my fingers and pray.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:11 AM   #8

The status of my application was "complete" as soon as I submitted it, back in December of 2014, and still is "complete'. But I still have the "verify" button there for uploading documents and the message that I need to provide proof of 2015 income. Still no confirmation HHS has received any documents in snail mail. Maybe if I upload a statement that I have mailed in the docs will satisfy them.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:32 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

After I uploaded , I took a screen shot of the upload page and the application page.

It might hold up in court (reasonable and prudent man approach) but won't cut any ice in a bureaucracy. Don't ask how I know.

Meanwhile United Healthcare is having trouble taking my payments. I have had many, many insurance companies in my life. I can count the number of times I have had significant payouts from them on one hand. I have yet to find a company that was so incompetent that it could not efficiently take my money, but perhaps I have found one now.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Application Details - Submittal of proof of income.pdf (69.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf My Applications & Coverage.pdf (55.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #10

Update: Called the 800 number at HC.gov, told the agent I mailed in my docs but had not heard anything back. She said she would make a note in the system that I had called to report sending them in before the deadline. She also said there were some other people calling in with the same problem : no response about docs. But 80 % of her calls were about the 1095 forms not being received.

I'm going to hope that if my docs are lost somewhere, or being ignored, that that just means no one will mess with my ACA account at all, which would be good, since it currently has all the good stuff (tax credits and cost sharing).