Maintaining Muscle Mass

Anything you have to fill or empty is not really usable - at least not for the continual traveller. I have a nice balancing ball - it's great for strength training and ab work. But it has to be inflated, so it is never used (no room in the RV for an inflated balance ball to just sit around). I have a smaller inflated pillow (also for ab work) - that can stow in the motorhome inflated, so it gets used plenty.

Having props ready to use and easily accessible seems to be pretty critical - at least for me.

Audrey

More on working out on the road/in an RV

I have been collecting a pretty extensive set of workout DVDs. Most of them are yoga and pilates which are well suited to working out inside a motorhome.

After occasionally watching the "Total Body Sculpt" series by Gilad Janklowicz on fitness TV, I realized that it looked really promising for working out inside our RV (I had to get over the annoying presentation/hype first). I went ahead and bought the 3 "Ultimate Body Sculpt" DVDs, and they're really pretty good. The presentation is fine too - not annoying like the TV program - good, clear instruction. What a relief!

So I'm working with these Gilad DVDs quite a bit now, and DH can actually do these! He's started using them too. This is timely for these colder months where it's harder to get regular outdoor exercise.

Audrey

windsurf said:
response to the Galt guy' greek god quip:
Which one? Do women in your are know this?? ;) :D

Is this what my post on maintianing muscle mass has come to? Is there anyone out there who is serious about function? Defensively and disappointedly, Windsurf

I used to be big into Nautilus and then went through a free weight circuit training gig.........now I use resistance bands that work well...........

FinanceDude:
I used to be big into Nautilus and then went through a free weight circuit training gig.........now I use resistance bands that work well...........

It's all good. The key is to do something that involves movement and resistance. In addition to muscle mass, another benefit of resistance exercise is retention of bone density. Use it or lose it. To any fitness, buff, this is preaching to the choir. But I can see that each decade will present additional challenge to stay motivated. Gains are tougher, maintaining is a challenge, and injuries can set off an entropic tail-spin. So many people just give up. The good news is that there is always a benefit; even if one is coming to it late in the game. It is one endeavor where late is better than never.

So who has a link to someplace showing how to do a Hindu pushup or squat? Why pay Furey a fortune to learn something an old Hindu guy gave him for nothing?

Back
Top Bottom