Massage Gun anyone?

Aerides

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I'm doing PT on a shoulder injury in hopes of avoiding surgery. This week my therapist used one of these super pulsating massage guns and wow... I am having my least-pain day after it. Maybe a coincidence, and just a result of everything else in therapy, but it's a pretty big difference.

So, looking for real life recommendations - do you have one and if so pros cons? Looks like I can spend a lot or a little, but I don't want to spend a little and then wish I'd gotten the BTD version if it's really worth it.

DD is a ballet dancer and wanted one. Her friends had name brands that cost a lot. We went on Amazon, purchased one that was reasonably priced, came with a good number of attachments, provided USB charging, and had excellent reviews. DD loved it. I used it to work on some of my sore muscles after running, I loved it, so we bought another. DW also uses it after her workouts when she feels sore. Had them for two years now, no issues, work wonderfully.

This is the one we purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/Massage-Handheld-Massager-Percussion-Massagers/dp/B083LTPSGQ

Ive been having neck and lower back/glute issues due to osteoarthritis in parts of the spine. Been going to PT and also doing home exercises/stretches. I also have a small rotator cuff tear for which I had a course of PT and am now doing home tubular band exercises in an effort to avoid surgery.

My daughters gave me a Bondir massager for my recent birthday. I use it post-exercise/stretch and find I feel good when I do so and for a while afterward. But, I haven’t yet noticed any long-term improvement as a result.

DD is a ballet dancer and wanted one. Her friends had name brands that cost a lot. We went on Amazon, purchased one that was reasonably priced, came with a good number of attachments, provided USB charging, and had excellent reviews. DD loved it. I used it to work on some of my sore muscles after running, I loved it, so we bought another. DW also uses it after her workouts when she feels sore. Had them for two years now, no issues, work wonderfully.

https://www.amazon.com/Massage-Handheld-Massager-Percussion-Massagers/dp/B083LTPSGQ
That looks very similar to the one my daughter bought on Amazon as well and her husband uses it every day and has for months now.
He tried my Tens unit a couple of times and even on the lowest setting he was whining about the pain (there is no none, just a little tingle) but he seems to be really happy with the massage gun.

I used to get treatment with one of those massage guns at my chiropractor's office. I just assumed it required some extensive knowledge to use them, but anyone can pick one of those things up and use it without knowing muscle manipulations, etc?

What exactly is the claimed benefit the percussion gun massager? Something about stimulating muscle "regeneration" and nerve function?

Is it making the same claims for one muscle, that the vibration table makes for the whole body?

Yeah they are all over amazon. It's a small area spot massager, great for getting knots out and favored by athletes. Yes for personal home use. I don't know that it's making any references to vibration tables (never heard of those really).

It's meant to be a deep focused small area massage. Most come with several speeds and heads. There are a lot of tutorials on self use. My main thing is going to be getting it onto the back of my shoulder, but it looks like I should be able to. Or there are kits to attach it to a door frame, or a squat rack...even put it between the cushions on a couch and sit against it on the floor, stuff like that.

They are a dime a dozen on amazon, and I might start with a very cheap one, but I don't trust pop up ali-express brands on amazon for things I want to solve health problems.

Theragun mini is a quality product ($200 - 10% discount it looks like), but I will acknowledge that I’ve gotten more use out of my foam roller and foam roller ball which are cheaper. But they pre-suppose the ability to roll around on the ground in a way not required of the Theragun (which depending on body parts needing massage can require another set of hands).

I had good luck using a Rotator Reliever on a painful sprain. Money back guaranteed, give it at least 20 of the 40 day program.

Yeah they are all over amazon. It's a small area spot massager, great for getting knots out and favored by athletes. Yes for personal home use. I don't know that it's making any references to vibration tables (never heard of those really).

It's meant to be a deep focused small area massage. Most come with several speeds and heads. There are a lot of tutorials on self use. My main thing is going to be getting it onto the back of my shoulder, but it looks like I should be able to. Or there are kits to attach it to a door frame, or a squat rack...even put it between the cushions on a couch and sit against it on the floor, stuff like that.

They are a dime a dozen on amazon, and I might start with a very cheap one, but I don't trust pop up ali-express brands on amazon for things I want to solve health problems.

Thanks for you post - My son gave me one last Christmas, I briefly used it then forgot about - I am going to take it out and try again. This time I am going to check out some youtube videos.

Last edited:
I'm doing PT on a shoulder injury in hopes of avoiding surgery. This week my therapist used one of these super pulsating massage guns and wow... I am having my least-pain day after it. Maybe a coincidence, and just a result of everything else in therapy, but it's a pretty big difference.

So, looking for real life recommendations - do you have one and if so pros cons? Looks like I can spend a lot or a little, but I don't want to spend a little and then wish I'd gotten the BTD version if it's really worth it.

I've ordered one (a Taotronic one which is relatively cheap) via amazon out of curiosity. I hope I get some relief from the kink in my neck and hip. I'm not fully vaccinated yet (I'm in Canada and we're still low on vaccines), so I don't want to go for massages yet...

I've ordered one (a Taotronic one which is relatively cheap) via amazon out of curiosity. I hope I get some relief from the kink in my neck and hip. I'm not fully vaccinated yet (I'm in Canada and we're still low on vaccines), so I don't want to go for massages yet...

I've just received mine. (I bought a cheap one via amazon - $90CAD - TaoTronics. Since it's via amazon, the return would be easy if I decided to not keep it.) It came with instructions on which attachment to use for how long, etc.

I just tried the gun around my neck that's been so stiff. (I used the lowest speed.). I gotta say, I really like this thing so far! I can feel the warmth coming back to my neck and upper shoulder area. The best I can do without a device like this is to put a little lotion and massage the neck/shoulder area myself, so compared to that, this is much easier and faster.

I will continue to use it and see how it goes. My DH has pain in his lower back so he wants to try the gun on his back as well...

Often times with shoulder injuries, scar tissue can cause a lot of pain. Scar tissue can also occur in other parts of the body as well. These guns or even a hardball to roll on can be used to massage the area and reduce pain, speed recovery and function. I used both a ball and the gun on my shoulder when I was experiencing shoulder pain from softball and it was a huge help.

Back
Top Bottom