Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2021, 03:55 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Well, it certainly is rational from a taxpayer perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Well you know free stuff is never free, someone pays for it, it might as well be you.
+1

Not sure what the problem is. OP is getting free health care, that he/she (apparently) could afford to buy, but chooses not to. When his/her time is up the state is just saying "Oh, by the way, if you have any money left, we want ours back before anyone else gets it". Seems fair to me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2021, 04:13 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Seems fair to me.
Yeah, me too. Especially public dollars used to pay NH expenses when the client in fact has the money to private pay but has found a way to hide it.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:25 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Looks like a good time to move to Florida--like so many others in the region.

Then when you pass, Massachusetts won't know you're even gone.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Yeah, me too. Especially public dollars used to pay NH expenses when the client in fact has the money to private pay but has found a way to hide it.
With elderly Medicaid you need to spend down all assets to a very small amount before you can qualify for it. So it isn't like people are hiding stuff, except for estate planning, and that needs to be done 5 years in advance.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
With elderly Medicaid you need to spend down all assets to a very small amount before you can qualify for it. So it isn't like people are hiding stuff, except for estate planning, and that needs to be done 5 years in advance.
For some, "Estate Planning" IS hiding Stuff. You even acknowledge that with the reference to the 5 year look back.

But in the case of the OP, he/she apparently has high (enough) assets, reports low income (no problem with that), and qualifies for and receives Medicaid health insurance (here is the problem).

OK, they are playing the system. Nothing illegal. But the system also has a way to play them after death. Pay me now, or pay me later. But if you have the money, you WILL pay me.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:12 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
+1

Not sure what the problem is. OP is getting free health care, that he/she (apparently) could afford to buy, but chooses not to. When his/her time is up the state is just saying "Oh, by the way, if you have any money left, we want ours back before anyone else gets it". Seems fair to me.
Me too.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:25 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes it is like "people are hiding stuff." Law firms in our area are advertising heavily about their skills at helping people do so. The five year "look back" rule helps control these dishonest activities, but more needs to be done.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:19 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

If they changed the look back to 15 or 20 years that would probably nip it in the bud.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:38 AM   #29

What one man calls "dishonest", another man calls "prudent financial planning". Using the letter of the law is not dishonest in my book. That is as far as I want to go to avoid a Porky appearance.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:49 AM   #30

Quote:
What one man calls "dishonest", another man calls "prudent financial planning". Using the letter of the law is not dishonest in my book. That is as far as I want to go to avoid a Porky appearance.
I don't think anyone said it was dishonest (at least I did not), but it is a bit disingenuous to then complain that the system actually has a way to reclaim the cost of health care, after death, from those that actually had the resources to pay when alive.
automatically signed up for medicaid
Old 09-26-2022, 06:05 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

automatically signed up for medicaid

This is just hitting me and it is very easy to miss so thought I'd pop it to the top again. I'm in Missouri and they can use asset recovery for non long term care costs, including comitant (or whatever that word was) costs.

Also, I don't think anyone is complaining about the recapture or being disingenuous, they just want to understand it and make it part of their decision making. From what I've seen I think I'll be going for the subsidized ACA and avoid the recapture possibilities.

What I do find disingenuous though is how I got signed up for medicaid in the first place. I went to the ACA site to try to sign up for a plan after my COBRA ran out. The site wouldn't let me sign up and said something about needing to check with Missouri first to see if I qualified for medicaid. Figuring I wouldn't qualify, and that this was the only way I'd get an ACA plan I said ok, go ahead and check. Then two months later I get a mailing saying I was on Medicaid, just like that. And no mention anywhere of the estate recovery angle, unless it was somewhere in the fine print. This should be front and center for anyone BEFORE they are signed up for medicaid.
cat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:23 PM   #32

Are you sure they recover for MAGI Medicaid? I would call them and ask, I can't find the answer online.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:28 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not sure what you mean by "recover for MAGI" but I was looking at this:

https://www.medicareresources.org/st...ontent/#estate

When Medicaid coverage was administered by a Managed Care Organization (MCO) (ie, a private insurer with which the state contracts to administer Medicaid benefits), the state will attempt to recover what it paid the MCO. That means the estate recovery amount could differ from the actual cost of Medicaid services received.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat4ever View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "recover for MAGI" but I was looking at this:

https://www.medicareresources.org/st...ontent/#estate

When Medicaid coverage was administered by a Managed Care Organization (MCO) (ie, a private insurer with which the state contracts to administer Medicaid benefits), the state will attempt to recover what it paid the MCO. That means the estate recovery amount could differ from the actual cost of Medicaid services received.
MAGI is expansion Medicaid. I would not trust your link as it isn't a .gov link.

This page has a number to call on the bottom about estate recovery questions. https://dss.mo.gov/mhd/general/pages...e-recovery.htm
Old 09-26-2022, 07:30 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
MAGI is expansion Medicaid. I would not trust your link as it isn't a .gov link.

This page has a number to call on the bottom about estate recovery questions. https://dss.mo.gov/mhd/general/pages...e-recovery.htm
No, but it includes links to government documents to back up its claims:

https://dssmanuals.mo.gov/wp-content...3/im42_13.html

https://dss.mo.gov/mhd/general/pages...e-recovery.htm

The first link includes:
"Under Estate Recovery, the state can file a claim against the estate of a deceased MO HealthNet recipient. The recipient must have received:
any kind of MO HealthNet coverage at any time after he or she turned age 55."

However I think a phone call would be prudent as I never trust my interpretation of these types of documents.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:56 PM   #36

MAGI (expansion) and ABD (aged, blind, disabled) are two different methods. That is why to take a document from 2013 that is for ABD it may not apply to MAGI. They can't place a lien with MAGI, but they can with ABD. MAGI has no resource limit and no requirement to get under a certain limit or have a "look back". The Federal law doesn't require a state to recover non nursing home expenses, but a state can do everything if they want to.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:03 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat4ever View Post
This is just hitting me and it is very easy to miss so thought I'd pop it to the top again. I'm in Missouri and they can use asset recovery for non long term care costs, including comitant (or whatever that word was) costs.

Also, I don't think anyone is complaining about the recapture or being disingenuous, they just want to understand it and make it part of their decision making. From what I've seen I think I'll be going for the subsidized ACA and avoid the recapture possibilities.

What I do find disingenuous though is how I got signed up for medicaid in the first place. I went to the ACA site to try to sign up for a plan after my COBRA ran out. The site wouldn't let me sign up and said something about needing to check with Missouri first to see if I qualified for medicaid. Figuring I wouldn't qualify, and that this was the only way I'd get an ACA plan I said ok, go ahead and check. Then two months later I get a mailing saying I was on Medicaid, just like that. And no mention anywhere of the estate recovery angle, unless it was somewhere in the fine print. This should be front and center for anyone BEFORE they are signed up for medicaid.

Just up your income if you can for 23 and go on regular ACA...
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:31 PM   #38

As long as the Public Health Emergency is active you are locked in. Looks like through January 2023. Then they will redetermine everyone, but that will take some time.