Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2021, 04:35 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not quite the same, but we have an attic in our garage that is great for storage. The problem is the stairs are steep with no handrails. No way could we carry things up and down without risk of serious injury or more likely death. So I found a product called a Versa Lift. I think I paid about $1,800 9 years ago plus the cost of installation. It was money well spent.

https://www.amazon.com/Versa-Lift-24...47&sr=8-2&th=1
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2021, 05:42 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Not quite the same, but we have an attic in our garage that is great for storage. The problem is the stairs are steep with no handrails. No way could we carry things up and down without risk of serious injury or more likely death. So I found a product called a Versa Lift. I think I paid about $1,800 9 years ago plus the cost of installation. It was money well spent.

https://www.amazon.com/Versa-Lift-24...47&sr=8-2&th=1

That's neat! and expensive. I hung a pulley from a rafter above the attic opening when I needed to put some heavy items up there. It has no mechanical advantage, but, at least I'm not on a ladder trying to carry a heavy item. I also have back issues.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:54 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I got a hydraulic invalid hoist from a friend who could occasionally get one being surplused from the hospital he worked at. IIRC it has a 300 pound lift capacity, and separates into two sections so it can be stored away or put in a car trunk. I use it in the garage and it is very handy for lifting a m/c engine or large vise or similar "not as easy to lift as it used to be" item. The invalid hoist doesn't have the capacity of an engine hoist, but it is more compact and weighs less, so you might watch for one to come up for sale on CL.
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
some of my "hobbies involve 5~6 gallons (beer/wine) in bulk containers"
Old 02-23-2021, 05:59 PM   #44
Dryer sheet wannabe

some of my "hobbies involve 5~6 gallons (beer/wine) in bulk containers"

I don't know about the mini cranes and lift trucks but I sure do like your hobbies. If you invite me over I'd be glad to help you lift and consume those 6 gallon beers
themillerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:09 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And to think I complain when my wife asks me to move her Kitchenaid mixer 10 feet.

That thing's heavy enough for me.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:13 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Yamagonna go back east some time (don know when) hit Detroit, Boston, but if you get a good batch of brew in stock, maybe you'll invite me to drink a gallon or 2.

RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder if you could assemble your own lift from various components, or have a handyman construct you one.

How about a collapsible tripod, with a block and tackle hanging down from the center of the tripod, or maybe a motorized pulley block like a winch, with the motor powered by a wall socket with a switch to hoist up or let down. Attach wide rubber wheels on the tripod so it can be moved around easily if needed, on carpet, or outside.

The tripod would function like this, but smaller/lighter and with less lifting capacity required (this one can lift 1 ton):
https://www.cisco-eagle.com/catalog/...max-lifting-ht

Lightweight Pulleys:
https://www.amazon.com/TooTaci-Pulle...dp/B07TLW9HHZ/

Hoist:
https://www.amazon.com/Locking-Hoist...dp/B084GGRKR6/
austin944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin944 View Post
I wonder if you could assemble your own lift from various components, or have a handyman construct you one. ...
I am leaning towards a DIY, for flexibility. Nothing more than a rough idea now, but thinking about taking one of those Costco Trinity carts, and replacing two casters with larger wheels to make it easier to get over a door or rug transition. Then with boards at the top rack extending ~ 18" past those bigger wheels, with a pipe/crank mounted across that, and a cable/hook and maybe a platform for a lift - that might even be simpler/cheaper than trying to fit in some kind of winch.

With a sliding platform/drawer at the bottom rack, I could lift something, slide out the platform/drawer and drop it down, then slide it in to roll it around, w/o it hanging over the edge.

But maybe a winch mounted somewhere I plan to do lifting - a combo might make sense.

I appreciate all the ideas people are giving.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:13 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
With a sliding platform/drawer at the bottom rack, I could lift something, slide out the platform/drawer and drop it down, then slide it in to roll it around, w/o it hanging over the edge.
How do you think the center of balance would work to prevent the cart from tipping over when it was lifting a weight on one side of the cart, before you were able to slide the bottom drawer back into the center of the cart?
Old 02-24-2021, 07:15 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin944 View Post
How do you think the center of balance would work to prevent the cart from tipping over when it was lifting a weight on one side of the cart, before you were able to slide the bottom drawer back into the center of the cart?
Same as any other balance/lever. If an 80# weight extends 1 ft out from those wheels, I need > 20# at 4 ft back from those wheels. The weight of the cart and the extra stuff I'm adding should more than balance out the extended weight. If the rear casters want to lift, I just need to add some weight.

It definitely has to be accounted for, but it should be pretty simple, I think.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:39 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I've been struggling with the idea of moving some huge rocks we have in the back yard. It is somewhat rough and soft terrain. I was going to hire some kids, but the pandemic has made it difficult.

While I was watching a documentary on the pyramids, I was inspired to cut up some old scrap top-rail chain-link fence pipe into 2' sections and copy the suspected method they used to move the pyramid rocks. All I had to do was use a pick to lift the front of the rock 2", and slide the pipe under. With a set of 8 pipes, I formed a bed of rollers to roll and slide the rock around! It wasn't perfect due to the uneven terrain, but it was a lot better than trying to lift any of these beasts.

My only glitch in this plan was I had to look out for the copperhead snakes I exposed.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #52

ERD, this is probably not a great idea but in the interest of brainstorming...

Have you looked into a Hoyer lift? They are similar to the engine hoist you show, but for immobile people. Maybe you could get a used one at a local store that sells wheelchairs and crutches?

Another option would be an electric lift...so long as your ceiling can handle it.

https://www.toolots.com/tkk-pa200l-m...QaAlCOEALw_wcB
Old 02-25-2021, 05:37 PM   #53

When it comes time that I need help with heavy lifting, I'll get the current generation of one of these. By that time it will be very affordable.

Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

How about a one-man version of the device in the attached picture. Might need to adapt it to avoid bending at the knees. Attach one end to a solid object, affix load to strap, put strap on and walk backwards, sidestep left or right to place load over cart or dolly or hand truck, move forward to set load down onto cart.

BTW I think that is the first time I've seen a wife happy to help out in lifting heavy objects.

https://www.amazon.com/Shoulder-Doll...dp/B00022749Q/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81LruVGbg+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (161.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-25-2021, 06:10 PM   #55

There are some cool Youtube videos on homemade "elevators". We have a plan to migrate permanently to our second home and sell the primary over the next 2 years. Our second home is a 120 year old farm with a 3000s.f. barn attached. Invariably, we will have to store belongings in the barn loft, maybe even some fairly heavy furniture pieces. I am thinking of building a Harbor Freight electric hoist powered "elevator" in there to avoid trying to carry stuff up the stairs (that has no fence/rail along one side!). If I do, it will make the "What we're making" thread for sure...
Old 02-25-2021, 07:13 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
...... I am thinking of building a Harbor Freight electric hoist powered "elevator" in there to avoid trying to carry stuff up the stairs (that has no fence/rail along one side!). If I do, it will make the "What we're making" thread for sure...
Check out YouTube for some HF DIY freight elevators.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote