Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2021, 01:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
It is obviously VERY location dependent, as mentioned in our area (MCOL) it is not advantageous for me at all. I would like to know why certain areas are so much lower than others.
Yes it is SWR.
My DGF has a MA plan with access to all doctors in our area, no premium, no deductible and 2,500 max. OOP.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 02:37 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Do you have to pay Part B premiums? My ~$4,000 all in (Parts A, B, and D plus Medigap G Plan) includes Part B premiums.
No, I have to pay same part B as everyone else, but sometimes that is all I pay along with my copays. You are getting a good price on your supplement and part D. I'm glad it is working good for you.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefree View Post
My Advantage Plan is a Blue Cross PPO plan, and is accepted by most doctors. I don't take prescriptions, and in good health, so it's a good fit for me right now.

Also, if I decide to change out of the Advantage plan, there's no underwriting here in Mass

I only pay $148 for part B each month.
You have the best of both worlds, Advantage until you need 100% coverage and then no underwriting for a Medigap plan.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:57 PM   #24

I studied this issue up and down, back and forth, and came to the conclusion that signing up for a Medicare Supplement plan was the far better choice for me. Too much fuss and too many unknowns with Advantage plans, despite the appearance of attractive lower costs. I do feel secure in the Supplement coverage.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:57 PM   #25

I pay zero as it's a retiree benefit. We pay $76/month for my husband. And we both pay the Part B premium.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:20 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Yes it is SWR.
My DGF has a MA plan with access to all doctors in our area, no premium, no deductible and 2,500 max. OOP.
There maybe other factors also, like income and health status. Again, I am not sure.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I studied this issue up and down, back and forth, and came to the conclusion that signing up for a Medicare Supplement plan was the far better choice for me. Too much fuss and too many unknowns with Advantage plans, despite the appearance of attractive lower costs. I do feel secure in the Supplement coverage.
Feeling secure is important, good choice for you.

VW
Old 10-21-2021, 06:42 PM   #28

It’s nice there are so many options. Easier for folks to find what works for them.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:44 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

It is unfortunate that MA are advertised as they are, as "Free everything" plans. Like everything else buyer beware. If it seems too good to be true it probably is. I did review them in our area once and they were far too restrictive for my liking. I am hearing it works well for some though in certain locations here in Florida. I also do not like the underwriting required to change back. If we did not have that requirement, I would be more inclined to try it for a year or so.

Funny though, although modelled on the same idea, the ACA plans in our area are way better than the MA plans, DW has a PPO version. If I could have maintained my ACA plan after becoming of age, I probably would have kept it, but the monthly premiums were not $0. Deductibles on our joint ACA plan were Zero and docs visits were $5, MOOP was $2400. Medicare in our area with a supplement is almost double that.

With my heart issues I feel a lot more comfortable with Medicare + Part G. It paid for my new pacemaker and care in 2019 100% with no extra OOP costs.

If all the money that was put into advertising MA plan and others was put into the actual health care itself, can one imagine how affordable health care would be, and how profitable it must be?
Old 10-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post

MN is pretty pricey IMO. Having said that, my DH literally would have died on the table in the OR, if he hadn't been in a world class facility with a world class surgeon who had a world class team.

Anyone who lived their whole lives in MN might not appreciate that all things are not created equal. It's one thing say you can get good care, it's another to say you have the best care possible. I figure that cost money, of course I'd rather have my hubby then the money..
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
medicare advantage, medicare supplement