Medicare advantage disenrollment & Guaranteed Issue Rights

mf15

Recycles dryer sheets
Wife has MA but since a slight heart valve problem was detected she would be underwritten if tried to switch to a medigap policy, they may/would not issue.

There are certain rules that apply to MA disenrollment with guaranteed issue rights,which she would not fall under.

My fear if when the government stops funding the MA plans to the extent
it is now,cost up and coverage down, there will be no escape from the trap. Unless of course they add some sort of special provision to the law,but have not seen anything on that.
They may drive people from MA but with nowhere to go,unless they change the law to a guarateed issue rights.
This is the reason I am getting medigap plan F HD for myself.

Any thoughts.
Thank Old Mike

Last edited:
Wife has MA but since a slight heart valve problem was detected she would be underwritten if tried to switch to a medigap policy, they may/would not issue.

There are certain rules that apply to MA disenrollment with guaranteed issue rights,which she would not fall under.

My fear if when the government stops funding the MA plans to the extent
it is now,cost up and coverage down, there will be no escape from the trap. Unless of course they add some sort of special provision to the law,but have not seen anything on that.
They may drive people from MA but with nowhere to go,unless they change the law to a guarateed issue rights.
This is the reason I am getting medigap plan F HD for myself.

Any thoughts.
Thank Old Mike
This is also the decision I made. But really, no one knows since this market is completely at the whim of government and various lobbying organizations. So far, MA plans usually pay providers more than straight Medicare, so they are widely accepted.

Ha

I fall into this category myself and wondering where Medicare is going with the Advantage plans. I did hear recently that Medicare will continue with the Advantage plans through 2014 so we got a little grace period. I posted recently about the POTUS saying at the onset of Obamacare, "If you like your healthcare plan, you can keep it". Well, I'm going to hold him to this statement.

Back
Top Bottom