Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Medicare and Secondary Health insurance
Old 02-11-2021, 06:29 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Medicare and Secondary Health insurance

My DW recently retired and has retiree medical where she pays the same low premium as when she was working.

I knew she had this benefit many years ago and it certainly helped her retire early.

I thought that the insurance would end when she started Medicare. This week we received some information from her company and to my surprise, based on the number of years she worked, she can keep her insurance secondary up to 7 additional years after she starts Medicare.

The one item in the document stated do not get Medicare prescription coverage as her drug coverage would be primary.

I haven't really studied up on Medicare yet as it is several years away. I have no idea how having secondary coverage with Medicare works.

Is it beneficial to keep her insurance as secondary?

Does she still need to get supplemental coverage?

What are the major benefits for keeping it or are there any reasons she would not want to keep it?

Thanks

Kevin
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2021, 12:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is it beneficial to keep her insurance as secondary.
Yes, I would think so. And it should work similarly to a supplemental policy covering the deductibles and co-pays required by Medicare, plus providing coverage for some things that Medicare doesn't cover (like coverage when you travel out of country). But once that coverage ends you will need a supplement.

A visit with an insurance agent who sells Medicare Supplement policies can be helpful. They don't charge for their service and because you will need them at some point can be a source of good info.

- Rita
Old 02-12-2021, 02:32 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Is it beneficial to keep her insurance as secondary.
Yes, I would think so. And it should work similarly to a supplemental policy covering the deductibles and co-pays required by Medicare, plus providing coverage for some things that Medicare doesn't cover (like coverage when you travel out of country). But once that coverage ends you will need a supplement.

A visit with an insurance agent who sells Medicare Supplement policies can be helpful. They don't charge for their service and because you will need them at some point can be a source of good info.

- Rita
Thanks Rita.

As we get closer to Medicare I'll reach out to an agent to discuss options and current rules as it is 5 years away.

I just didn't know how secondary insurance worked as the information the company provided did not provide a lot of detail.