Medicare card -How long does it take to get card after applying via the web?

template

Recycles dryer sheets
I turn 65 in about 3 months. On September 1, I applied for retirement benefits and Medicare at this web site:

https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/rib

1) If you have applied using this method, how long did it take to receive your Medicare card after applying?

2) Though I answered questions pertaining to Medicare Part B, there was no mention on that web form specifically about Part A. Does one automatically get Medicare Part A when applying for Part B and retirement benefits?

I called the SSA, but the wait time to speak with a human was too long.

Thanks.

Part A will be automatic with the claim you filed. The card should be delivered within 2-3 weeks. You can create a mySSA account and they day or two after the claim is processed you can print out a benefit verification letter showing your retirement and Medicare amounts/entitlements.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It's been 3 years so I don't remember exactly when I got it after applying online. I do remember that I had a doctor appointment very close to my birthday, maybe a day after, and I had the Medicare card in plenty of time for that. So I'd say you will get it at least several weeks before your birthday.

Yes, Part A is free so you don't have to pay for that part and your Medicare card will say on it both Part A and Part B.

Edited to add: Oops! Nate beat me to the punch. What he said is correct.

I just turned 65 last month, and also applied about 3 months in advance. I was surprised how quickly I received my Medicare card....I would say within 3 weeks.

I also applied for a prescription plan to start in August, and received that promptly. I delayed applying for a Medigap plan until August because I knew I had 6 months of "open enrollment" before it would be underwritten, and wanted to start it in October. I received that card within 3 weeks as well, so I'm all set. It all went pretty easily.

I applied last year online, like the others it was a bit over two weeks but I don't think it exceeded three weeks. Call it 2.5 weeks.

I remember getting mine not too soon before it was effective, not more than three weeks before I could use it. A year later I filed for SS under DH's record and was surprised to receive a new Medicare card with a different account/claim/member number using his SS number vs mine. That arrived no more than ten days before it was valid.

Is medicare mail forwarded to a temporary address? I turn 65 next April. We winter in AZ from Jan 1 thru April 1. I'm worried the post office won't forward my medicare mail to our AZ address. Can I print a temporary card from their website?

I like to worry early about future events!!!

Note that actually medicare starts on the 1st of the month you turn 65 not your birthday. If you are born on the first it starts the first of the month before. Your card will have an effective date on it.

I turn 65 in about 3 months. On September 1, I applied for retirement benefits and Medicare at this web site:

https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/rib

1) If you have applied using this method, how long did it take to receive your Medicare card after applying?

This is a followup my original question. I received a "Notice of Award" letter exactly 2 weeks after I applied and my Medicare card arrived 2 days after the letter.

Thanks to all who posted.

Can't remember exactly, but think it was 2-3 weeks till card arrived.

I applied online about 3 months in advanced and it seems that I recall the card/booklet/info arrived in a few weeks. I guess the government has been doing this long enough now that they have it working. So far even the claims process has been working okay.

DH received his medicare card this week (for a Jan birthday). We still need to get him signed up for a supplemental or advantage plan. That's on our agenda next month (October).

Back
Top Bottom