Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nothing to add to this thread other than I am not looking forward to wading through the Medicare selection process. Fourteen pages of comments pretty well says it all...
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Fourteen pages of comments pretty well says it all...
Sadly, not yet...
Old 06-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
There is another error on the site. I plugged in my area code as I will be going on Medicare next year and it states that UHC/AARP does not offer G in my area. DH just signed up with them and they do offer G.
Interesting, I noticed it listed no Plan G available from UHC in our area, so maybe that’s wrong too.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #144

I wish the sites that provide options would say what date their information is valid on. I find lots of sites that are getting long in the tooth with their information, i.e. several years old.

Further the sites may be most accurate in the fall.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #145

I'm grateful for this thread and others like it. I've finally hammered the buzzwords and phrases into my mind and understand them somewhat. I'm leaning towards a plan F or G (not HD) supplement via AARP using UHC as insurer. Still wondering why people sign up for a Medicare Advantage plan. I know some of them and they say the supplement premiums are just too too high. One of these days I'll call SHIP (some organization that helps you with questions about Medicare) in my state. Already called then once just to make sure a human actually answered the phone. Someone did.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:10 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I'm leaning towards a plan F or G (not HD) supplement...
You may already be aware of this but at the moment the only HD supplement plan available is F-HD. I understand in 2020 when F and F-HD plans are no longer open to new applicants, an HD version of plan G will be introduced.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #147

My inclination is to sign up for Plan F now. If, when F closes, the premiums skyrocket, I will use the California regulation that allows me to switch across or down in benefits to move to Plan G.

It looks like I will have to pay through the nose for Part B, however. Have to go to that seminar coming up to see how One Exchange/Via Benefits will handle our $270 non-taxable reimbursement. If they will just pay my Part B, that would be best, but I don't know if that's possible.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:14 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
My inclination is to sign up for Plan F now. If, when F closes, the premiums skyrocket, I will use the California regulation that allows me to switch across or down in benefits to move to Plan G.
I read a Medicare strategy blog a while back where, even before the 2020 closure of F was passed, California Medigap purchasers without major health issues were encouraged to purchase plan F-HD initially, then switch to a non-HD plan in later years when they started using more medical services.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #149
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I read a Medicare strategy blog a while back where, even before the 2020 closure of F was passed, California Medigap purchasers without major health issues were encouraged to purchase plan F-HD initially, then switch to a non-HD plan in later years when they started using more medical services.
Wow - what an option!!
Old 06-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow - what an option!!
Actually that's what we are in the process of attempting to do - except we have to go through underwriting to make the switch. I've had F-HD since 2012 and DW since 2013 and neither of us has come anywhere close to meeting our ~$2k annual deductible. Unlike the CA strategy, we have to make the change prior to developing any health issues that would make underwriting a no go, so our potential savings by delaying changing plans are limited.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:35 PM   #151

My understanding is that you can switch across insurers in the same plan or drop to a lower level plan, but you can't upgrade under the California regulation. Not sure how that would apply to Plan F-HD.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:37 PM   #152

Quote:
My understanding is that you can switch across insurers in the same plan or drop to a lower level plan, but you can't upgrade under the California regulation. Not sure how that would apply to Plan F-HD.
Good point. Don't recall where I saw the strategy I mentioned above and, like so many things you read on the Intewebs, it might be totally wrong.

Edit: A little research reveals that California, Oregon and Missouri allow you to change plans once a year without underwriting, but the rules differ for each state.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:03 AM   #153

Quote:
The CA Birthday Rule allows changes to plans of equal or lessor benefits without underwriting. HD-F is considered to have the lowest level of benefits so a person can only lateral to another insurer's HD-F under the rule. The person has to pass underwriting to upgrade to a non-HD plan unless the carrier has an internal exception or if Guaranteed Issue rules apply due to loss of coverage.

I have seen suggestions to start with regular F and downgrade to G then D, if needed. (I didn't say I agree.)

NY, CT, and WA allow upgrades without underwriting.

Quote:
Because of the California Birthday Rule I recommend anyone new to Medicare start on a plan F. This way, you have the option to change to a plan G or N in the future regardless of your health.
Source: https://sandiegomedicareplans.com/me...plement-plans/
Quote:
Edit: A little research reveals that California, Oregon and Missouri allow you to change plans once a year without underwriting, but the rules differ for each state. Oregon does allow an insured to change from F-HD to F, but not to any other plan.
Check your link again, please. Oregon F-HD can only lateral to another "high F".

The following site also includes the rules for NY, CT, WA and Maine. https://gmiainc.com/medigap-birthday-rule-applies/
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:46 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
Check your link again, please. Oregon F-HD can only lateral to another "high F".
Oops, you are correct, no upgrade without underwriting in Oregon.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #155

When the ACA was implemented, I could not understand why the law was written and implemented with so many bizarre rules and "gotchas." From what I have learned about Medicare in the last year, Medicare is also a minefield.

As a pre-Medicare retiree, my insurance choices required me to live in the Bay Area. If what I read is correct, it looks like Medicare and the Medigap policies might get me out of that prison!
Old 06-24-2018, 07:10 AM   #156

Quote:
As a pre-Medicare retiree, my insurance choices required me to live in the Bay Area. If what I read is correct, it looks like Medicare and the Medigap policies might get me out of that prison!
Yes, one of the nice things about going the Medicare/Medigap route is the ability to use the healthcare provider of your choice anywhere in the US.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:30 AM   #157

In MA there are only two Medigap plans, supplement one and core. DW has been on BC/BS supplement one plan since she became eligible last year and it pays for everything. She had a couple of procedures with an overnight stay in the hospital and the plan covered 100% of what Medicare did not cover.

Later this year I will be on Medicare and plan to sign up for the BC/BS core plan which does not pay for part A and B deductibles and does not cover skilled nursing beyond the 20 days covered by Medicare. They both cover International emergencies up to 50K.

State law allows participants to switch between the two plans as many times as they need to with the only stipulation that coverage starts the first of the month.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #158

Quote:
I found that the total annual premiums for Plan F were more than the total annual premiums for Plan G plus the annual deductible. So why would I ever sign up for Plan F?
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
I found that the total annual premiums for Plan F were more than the total annual premiums for Plan G plus the annual deductible. So why would I ever sign up for Plan F?
Good question - those of us who bother to figure that out wouldn't, but many either lack the skills to run the numbers or don't think to do so.

I have heard that some insurers in some locations actually have Plan F priced so that the annual cost is less than paying for Plan G and the deductible. Haven't looked to see if that's the case in my location since I'm not going to purchase either F or G.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:11 PM   #160

If someone else is paying, as may be the case for those of us whose employers contribute, that's a choice for convenience over cost. Also a choice of the highest level of benefits, in case things change down the road. I won't decide until I see all the numbers and what the employer will pay.