Medicare Choosing Provider

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Okay, I think I will go with Medigap G coverage. There are eighteen providers who offer Medigap G in my area. Our current provider, Anthem Blue Cross is not one of them.

Do you have any tips for evaluating those 18 and selecting one?

Also, when Medicare's table shows this:

a7ejp81.png

... does that mean that the premiums vary from $110 to $253 depending on which provider I choose?

Do you have any tips for evaluating those 18 and selecting one?

Yes.

Contact Boomerbenefits.com, an independent health insurance agency. They will walk you through the evaluation process, including the history of rate increases by each Medigap insurer. They also have some great tutorials, helping those new to Medicare understand the complexities of the alphabet soup everyone gets mired in when first wading into the world of Medicare.

And yes, the numbers quoted are the range of monthly premium costs for those offering plan G in your zip code.

Al, not sure what state you are in. In my state the Dept of Insurance lists all the medicare G carriers (I think there were maybe 10). Then I went to each carrier's website and got the premium amounts, took a couple of hours. Then I met with a SHIP counselor and got her advice which was to choose the cheapest Medicare G carrier in my area (which was Mutual of Omaha). It's been 2 years, have had several issues with my doctor and Medicare but none with the supplement. Once Medicare approves a bill the Supplement kicks in automatically after you pay your $183 deductible.

We narrowed it down by price, and then ultimately with Humana because of the free Silver Sneakers gym memberships. Nice little perk!

Back
Top Bottom