Medicare Coverage/Cost

wyecrabber1

Recycles dryer sheets
DW is retiring at the end of July and I will still be in the work force for several more years. She has already applied for Medicare. I have decent insurance from work, GEHA United Healthcare - high option and plan to add her to my policy on her retirement date. My monthly premium will be ~$225.00.

DW wife is healthy with no chronic illnesses, only takes Lipitor, so no huge drug expense.

I have a strong family history of high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes. I do not smoke, never have. Alcohol in moderation maybe 2-3 glass of wine per week. Past medical history of melanoma (resected and no recurrence in 5 years), a cardiac stent, every stress test since the stent was placed has been excellent; 13+ Mets, no symptoms, good ejection fraction and no defects; so my likelihood of having a future heart attack is less than the general population.

My biggest concern is my back -- I had a failed lumbar fusion several years ago and my neck is fused from C2 to C7 -- I've had no problems with my neck. Still have several budging discs that flare up every now requiring steroid injections. The only meds I take are Lipitor, Benicar(blood pressure) and an adult aspirin.

I'm active, kayaking, biking, -- I think I'm in decent shape given everything that is wrong :>)

My thought is cover her through my coverage until I retire. If I retire prior to being 65, I can take my coverage with me at cost.

Any pearls of wisdom, greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom