Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For those who really want a solution, there are cheap part D plans that effectively function as place holders. It is what I did 10 years or so ago, and it is still what I do.

I am amazed at people who come asking for advice, then in advance say that this or that is a scam, or that the US is really behind other countries. Sometimes behind can be a better position to occupy.

Anyway, there is a guaranteed effective cure for these "problems", and I think it is clear what it is.

Today I called 1-800-Medicare and in 10 minutes or so switched to a plan that I think the very pleasant woman on the phone said would cost me $8.95, and could be deducted from my Social security check. I am certainly not as wealthy as many here, but I think I can handle this.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
For some of the terminology challenged folks here...

Medicare A - if you qualify there is no premium. It is for hospitalization only.

Medicare B - covers 80% of non hospital doctor visits. No max OOP... so it can get pricey if you need expensive outpatient care.

Medigap - a supplemental coverage for the 20% not covered under medicare B.
Medigap comes in different flavors: E, F, F+, G. F covers most everything. F+ covers like F - but with a deductible.

Medicare Advantage - AKA Medicare C. This is the HMO type plan. It can be good or bad - depending on your area and your network. You don't pay the medicare B with this - just the Medicare C premium. I have many relatives on Medicare Advantage with Kaiser Permanente - and in our area, Kaiser is a good system. If you live in a very restrictive area for HMOs - it's not so bueno.

Medicare D - this is prescription drug benefits... which are not included in the other plans.

We recently went through the education process on this. DH started Medicare in January. The nice thing is he has much better coverage than he did under an ACA HMO, for less than 1/2 the price.
Which would be the latest date these plans can be applied for in order to have them all in effect on the 1st day of month of your 65th birthday when ACA plan is terminate?
zack59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:56 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

A little update: Even though I signed up for BCBS Medicare Supplement, BCBS went ahead and renewed my Blue Advantage from last year at the same $ rate. They think I need 2 insurances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free_at_49 View Post
Thank you, that’s the best explanation ever.

I went ahead and signed up for “Blue Medicare Supplement HD Plan F” for $25/mo, only because it includes international coverage.

The fine print says that the premium is not the same for all males my age, that BCBS can increase it at will based on my claims...

I was under the impression that Medicare is essentially free, but like you said it’s only cheaper than my ACA Blue Advantage Silver.

No Medicare D, I don’t take drugs, so I’m not sure if an occasional prescription warrants an insurance policy.
Free_at_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free_at_49 View Post
A little update: Even though I signed up for BCBS Medicare Supplement, BCBS went ahead and renewed my Blue Advantage from last year at the same $ rate. They think I need 2 insurances?
The plan may be running two different computer systems, one for MA and one for Medigap (the MA plan requires a significant amount of reporting to CMS, Medigap does not).

Either don't pay the MA January premium and it will cancel, or call Customer Service and have them cancel it.

- Rita
Old 12-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I won't be studying up on it for a few months, but the poorly chosen terms sure don't help anybody. Why do they need to have arbitrary letter names?

I would call Part A, "Medicare Hospitalization Coverage"
I would call Part D, "Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage"
I would call Part B, "Medicare Everything Else Coverage"